Chang

Putin the Gangster. But Why Now?

ppl4.jpg

Those viewing the western media may have noticed that in recent weeks attention has been turned to accusations against the Russian President Vladimir Putin.

First we have the UK enquiry into the death of Alexander Litvinenko in 2006.

The long-awaited report into Mr Litvinenko's death found that two Russian men - Andrei Lugovoi and Dmitry Kovtun - deliberately poisoned the 43-year-old in London in 2006 by putting the radioactive substance polonium-210 into his drink at a hotel. The enquiry has concluded that Mr Putin is likely to have signed off the poisoning of Mr Litvinenko with polonium-210 in part due to personal "antagonism" between the pair.

This obviously paints the gallant Putin as a sort of James Bond Villain but a worse picture is now being painted of him in the guise of the worlds greatest gangster. Here is a quote from The Spectator:-

"The President squats on top of the ‘elite’ kleptocratic heap. Corruption entangles every layer of society, from the lowliest traffic cop to the Kremlin insiders who slurp off billions from ‘hyper-projects’ such as the Sochi Olympics. Reiderstvo — a vicious Russian form of corporate raiding which could, for example, involve bribing the security services to have the boss of a rival company thrown into jail — ensures that private property is little more than a form of words. Simulacra of democratic institutions, controlled by the Kremlin, are incapable of protecting citizens or governing effectively. Occasionally the players are staggeringly brazen. ‘The Duma is no place for debate,’ as the Speaker once famously remarked of his own parliament."

Even the world of sport is not free of accusations against Russia as we are informed that the use of banned substances was both sanctioned and endemic in Russion athletics.

Whilst I have no doubts whatever that there is something rotten in the State of Russia and that the rot has set in from the top down my question is why now?

We have no shortage of "Rotten States" in this world of ours - Africa and the Middle East do not bear close scrutiny, yet our Western Leaders are happy to work with them.

So why at this point in time are fingers being pointed at Putins Russia? Is it the thread of Russian expansion and military power? Is it the situation in Syria? Is it connected with oil and gas? Is it an attempt to find a non Islamic Bogeyman?

Has anyone words of wisdom on this matter?

I watched Lavarov this morning giving a press interview. Simply put, this is Cold War v 2.0

Russia has become part of an Eastern rising of capitalism and ironically it is the West that has been systematically dismantling real capitalism and instituting corporocracy which is, for all intents and purposes Facism.

Russia and China have become financial competitors and they are getting in the way of US domination. The EU, Japan and UK are uneasy allies. We rely on Russian Gas and on Russian trade. Europe has been getting closer to Russia and that has upset the USA.

The game plan is to put pressure on Russia to accept US dominance. To do that they have plans to put a Gas pipeline from Oman through Syria in order to feed the EU from US friendly, dollar denominated gas supplies. The US also wants the EU to remain locked together as a way of bringing Russian satellite states into US influence. The Wests interference in Ukraine was another attempt to pressure Russia into making a mistake over which the world could be persuaded to stop trading with them. It would also have brought Ukraine into the EU and eventually cut off the gas being supplied to them from Russia.

However, let's not see Russia as an innocent in all this. They have there own internal issues with high powered oligarchs who determine the actions of the state. It's quite unstable. I think it's likely that he current government is trying to create cohesion and thereby secure its own position in the country. This lack of stability and corruption has been a great opportunity for US contractors, advisers to fill their pockets and introduce US corporatism through the back door. Putin caught on to what was happening and has kicked them all out. Putin is simply a dictator in waiting and wants a totalitarian society. Obama is in the process of moving the US to where Putin is. The US remains a far freer country than Russia, but Obama has moved towards the totalitarian model in increasingly larger steps.

Of course, now Russia has come into the conflict in Syria and now threatens the gas pipeline. The US government is looking increasingly like the bully and incompetent with it. That's why they wanted the backing of the EU/UK. It appears that Putin is winning the game. The Russians look smarter. They diffused the 'so called' Syrian chemical attack situation. They have been vocal over the mess made by the US in the Middle East. There is now a focus on the Wests Arab allies and their involvement in sponsoring ISIS. Then there is the blowback from the fighting which has caused the mass immigration-I suspect the US wanted to use it as a way to discredit the Russian involvement in Syria, but it's not just Syrian refugees, but all the people from Iraq, Libya.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 2

Well, remember that Putin was KGB with the USSR.  Those folks, just like my CIA think that they are beyond and above the law.  They just do what they think should be done.

Putin would love to have the USSR back again.

We have no shortage of "Rotten States" in this world of ours - Africa and the Middle East do not bear close scrutiny, yet our Western Leaders are happy to work with them.

not quite. those do not nukes and do not cause disturbance near European borders.

So why at this point in time are fingers being pointed at Putins Russia? Is it the thread of Russian expansion and military power? Is it the situation in Syria? Is it connected with oil and gas? Is it an attempt to find a non Islamic Bogeyman?

Because its at this point in time Russia decided to take a side. You see, there are 2 antagonists globally. The west and the arab midlle east. The west wants cheap hydrocarbons and security for Israel. The arabs want  the opposite.

The antagonism led to regime changes all over the ME, which takes time. By supporting Assad now  Russia cast it lot with the ME, thus timing its own reformatting now.

Well, remember that Putin was KGB with the USSR.  Those folks, just like my CIA think that they are beyond and above the law.  They just do what they think should be done.

Putin would love to have the USSR back again.

I think he would like to have the empire back again-not the USSR. He is seen as the Czar and that strongman image is very much in the mould of a facist dictator along the lines of Mussolini. He has enemies inside and outside Russia who want to see him fail. Some of those people would like nothing better than the return of communism and others want to make the country freer. The oligarchs support Putin as long as they get the environment which helps them bypass the laws and make money.

The recent mash up report about the murder of Litvinyenko looks very much like an action to implicate Putin which happens to suit the West at this stage. Pulonium leaves a trail like nothing else on the planet, a group who wanted to make the case for Putins incursion on to British soil couldn't have chosen a better compound to use. It's suggested that this was a purposeful attempt to show that a dissident could be reached anywhere in the world. I don't buy that. The guy was in Britain for six years, he wrote his books and said his piece whilst in Russia- he was even suspected of corruption and went through the Russian court system twice. Yet, both times he was judged innocent. Putin could have had him murdered in Russia and no one would have blinked an eye, but then he waited six years and chose the most easily tracked substance on Earth ? Putin must have a fantastic mind for dramatic theatrical murder that would make Agatha Christie smile if it's true. Apparently there is doubt that it was Pulonium that killed him and his own family have been refused an autopsy by the UK. The Russians were involved in the investigation of the murder right up to 2014 when the UK dropped the case. Then it was started again as a 'public inquiry' yet the public are excluded from the evidence, or the witness testimony. All we here is maybe, perhaps and probably. It's hardly factual objective evidence, but the newspapers dutifully report it never the less.

• Like 3

Gangster, tyrant – he certainly looks the part.

But what of his relationship with the Russian Orthodox Church which still denies rumours that it may in future merge with the state?

Putin_5.jpg

I think the hawks on both side of the Atlantic feel much safer with the Cold War and want it back.

• Like 1

Gangster, tyrant – he certainly looks the part.

But what of his relationship with the Russian Orthodox Church which still denies rumours that it may in future merge with the state?

Putin_5.jpg

Very possible. Russia is a country built on mysticism, so it would make sense that the connection would be reestablished following the fall of communism.

• Like 1

I think the hawks on both side of the Atlantic feel much safer with the Cold War and want it back.

I don't think our leaders are particularly bright. Too much power, money has allowed weak, stupid people to get into positions of authority. Every decision has to be run through a PR filter to determine the leaderships popularity. They are like bad salesman with enormous marketing power selling lemons to idiots. You want cheese with that ? More cheese yeah. Have a nice day...chump.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

I don't think our leaders are particularly bright. Too much power, money has allowed weak, stupid people to get into positions of authority. Every decision has to be run through a PR filter to determine the leaderships popularity. They are like bad salesman with enormous marketing power selling lemons to idiots. You want cheese with that ? More cheese yeah. Have a nice day...chump.

It is a very sad fact that you have pretty much summed things up here.

• Like 3

All we here is maybe, perhaps and probably. It's hardly factual objective evidence, but the newspapers dutifully report it never the less.

James Bond might have had something to do with it.

To put into context when the Soviet Union broke up the resources of the state including most of its oil and gas were basically seized by gangsters, whose main objective wasn't to help out any of the population with their wealth but to enrich themselves. Putin has actually done quite a good job at getting them in line and forcing them to pay tax which they were barely doing before he was in power. If he wasn't the ruthless strong man then the oil barons would have disposed of him by now putting in some stooge they can control. 

Also Russia is basically being pressurised from all sides, they have a right to prevent outside interference and meddling from foreign powers. They are basically just trying to preserve their own sovereignty and dignity in most of what they do, yet the western media are trying to paint him as some kind of Hitler type figure. When you hear him talk he usually makes far more sense than most of our leaders and comes across as completely sane and rational especially around Syria. 

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 2

Good point Jetsun.

And what he is doing in Ukraine is the same thing the Brits were doing in Ireland. 

I'm pretty certain we (ie US and Europe) are meddling in Ukraine too. If Russia started trying to influence states bordering our countries I doubt we would be very happy about it and I doubt we would just sit around at let it happen. 

• Like 3

To put into context when the Soviet Union broke up the resources of the state including most of its oil and gas were basically seized by gangsters, whose main objective wasn't to help out any of the population with their wealth but to enrich themselves. Putin has actually done quite a good job at getting them in line and forcing them to pay tax which they were barely doing before he was in power. If he wasn't the ruthless strong man then the oil barons would have disposed of him by now putting in some stooge they can control.

Also Russia is basically being pressurised from all sides, they have a right to prevent outside interference and meddling from foreign powers. They are basically just trying to preserve their own sovereignty and dignity in most of what they do, yet the western media are trying to paint him as some kind of Hitler type figure. When you hear him talk he usually makes far more sense than most of our leaders and comes across as completely sane and rational especially around Syria.

Our P.M is trying for an Oscar. He is a real ham actor. After tub thumping that 'we know it was Putin shot down that plane, poisoned that man/caused global warming/made McApplepies scaldingly hot. He turns around and expresses horror/shock/surprise to find that the inquiry has discovered that there is a slim possibility it might be true.

He pretends to like football so he is 'more down with the common man' but mixed up the team he is supposed to support with another team with a similar strip.

He said he liked Pasties and often had one from a local place-that was subsequently found not to exist. I don't think he has ever seen a pasty, never mind eaten one.

Every other phrase is either 'let me be clear' which is politician speak for 'I lied/got the message wrong/messed up' and now I wish to muddy the waters so badly you won't notice my little switcheroo. Then there is 'right thing to do'-there is no qualification for what makes it the right thing to do. I'm sure Hitler probably said it as he sent millions to the gas chambers, or marched into Poland. Anyway I'm sure the right thing to do, is the right thing to do.

When asked about the deficit he talks about the debt and when asked about the debt he talks about the deficit. If he gets asked about both he says it's all about his 'long term economic plan' (which is getting longer and longer like his nose and deeper and deeper like his bullshit).

He has ideas about 'The big Society' which sounds quite Orwellian, but I think he just means swelling the country with millions of uneducated immigrants.

Then there is 'The northern power house'. No one knows what that is, even his ministers in the North are struggling to describe it. They make tepid hand movements in a vague attempt to model it's mythical shape, then their mouths make a flapping sound but nowt comes out. My wife and I have made numerous attempts to discover the whereabouts of this shangri la of the North, we even roped in Indiana Jones but it remains a complete mystery.

Edited by Karl
  • Like 1

James Bond might have had something to do with it.

The gay one ? Those films are the worst British propaganda. Really chintzy. Im sure the Queen commissions them and gets the money back from all the product placement.

• Like 1

Then there is 'The northern power house'. No one knows what that is, even his ministers in the North are struggling to describe it. They make tepid hand movements in a vague attempt to model it's mythical shape, then there mouths make a flapping sound but nowt comes out. My wife and I have made numerous attempts to discover the whereabouts of this shangri la of the North, we even roped in Indiana Jones but it remains a complete mystery.

The Shangri la of the north is Wakefield. I used to court a girl there who was the cousin of Geoffrey Boycott. He would introduce himself as follows. "Hello. I'm Geoffrey Boycott of Yorkshire and England."

My own view is that Putin's Russia very much puts its own interests first whilst the "Powers That Be" in Europe, with an air of self satisfied benevolence put the interests of almost everyone above those of their own people. i see no prospect of any effective change in this attitude in the short term, though as the situation worsens change may come more quickly.

• Like 2

Not really. But for those who remember Robert Anton Wilson summarized the equivalences between US/Russia/China fairly succinctly (see illuminati trilogy).

Yes, among other things the Russian government is basically a kleptocracy. This is so completely different from the financial and power structure of the US.....

Basically all government starts with the idea of "rule of law" - trading some individual freedoms for better and wider social achievement. All government leaders turn this into "rule of law", in which the ruling class decides to control the construction and application of laws. 

Normally these waves of demonization are connected with internal politics and are intended to reduce the freedom of certain parties to behave rationally.

• Like 1

I'm pretty certain we (ie US and Europe) are meddling in Ukraine too. If Russia started trying to influence states bordering our countries I doubt we would be very happy about it and I doubt we would just sit around at let it happen. 

There is history on that.  Cuba.  The US was ready to start WWIII.

Only fair, as the U.S. was late joining both previous World Wars !! ;)

• Like 1

I hope the title question is rhetorical.

These days I find political propagandistic hypocrisy extremely boring and tiresome. It's just everywhere and it is ridiculously dilettante because it's good enough for the sheeple.

• Like 2

Rhetorical yes.

Without sheeple how could there be Putin? Now is that a statement of fact, a question, ridiculously dilettante or perhaps all three?