thelerner

Body Hacks and experimentation

I want to do some experimentation with breath rates.  In the mornings strap on a heart rate monitor, record my beginning heart rate, do 15 minutes of breathing with a specific rhythm and record it again.  I'd like to do 16-16 even in/out breath, and 8 - 24 - 16 retention style breathing.

Each day do one and record.  Every third session do control, listening to music or just resting to see how it affects my heart rate. Try to get a few cycles of data and see what results I have.  Maybe I shouldn't have any expectations, but I'm guessing the retentive style breathing will result in a lower heart rate. 

Anyone else have thoughts on Body hacks/experimentations?  Or want to join in on this one?

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Not my area of expertise, but, heart rate isn't what I'd measure with a breathing exercise. It just doesn't really matter in this context I think. And if you want to bring it down as an overall average, cardio or weight-bearing that becomes cardio will be faster. But there's plenty of breathing and chi exercises you can have fun with. Search this forum for pranayama and you'll likely find at least some.

• Like 1

Not my area of expertise, but, heart rate isn't what I'd measure with a breathing exercise. It just doesn't really matter in this context I think.

maybe.. that's what I'd be experimenting to check out.   I agree that if you want permanent change getting fitter, particularly through cardio is the route.  This is more to find out short term, if lowering the breath rate, lowers the heart rate.  If so, how much and which breathing rhythm does it best.  I'm sure somewhere on the net people have already done this experiment, but I feel like doing it myself. 

I assume slow breath = slow heart rate = tricks of fakirs; such as burying oneself. 

Hi thelearner,

Nice segue from Wim Hof method.

Breathing is essential no doubt,we all like breathing in universal energy,this can be constant,still learning all the subtleties,perfect this breathing exercise and you would be doing alright.

Every encouragement,you show a lot of energy.

We used to have a couple people here JoeBlast, Pedro (Trunk who's still active is very knowledgeable) who were very well studied both anatomically and esoterically in the matter of breath.  If they see this it'd be good to have there opinion.

I'm practicing breath patterns in the morning while still in bed.  8 16 24 and 16- 16.   Keep up for a few more days then keep a heart  rate monitor and pen and paper nearby and start making records.  But I'd like to be secure in my breathing first.  I should probably break out the Insight Timer app.  That precisely allows you to set up breathing rhythms and times.  Counting in my head is probably imprecise and the timer will discipline me to do it for a longer amount of time. 

• Like 2

I assume slow breath = slow heart rate = tricks of fakirs; such as burying oneself. 

Not so simple, but you can get some mileage out of this. Heart rate can be reduced/controlled through parasympathetic activation within certain limits; so relaxation controls both breath and heart. There are feedback loops so regulating the heart, the breath, or the mind affects all three. 

For the fakirs, however, it beats me. The heart also self-regulates on oxygen demand, etc. Slowing it consciously or hacking it through breath only goes so far unless more major changes are made across the body. 

Have fun!

I also think it is not so cut and dry...  breath might affect heart beat to a degree but it does not suggest the heart is any better.

The only experiments which I would consider worthwhile are:

1. Embryonic breathing to where breathing is 1-3 times a minute

2. You experiment on blood pressure

JMO...

I want to do some experimentation with breath rates. In the mornings strap on a heart rate monitor, record my beginning heart rate, do 15 minutes of breathing with a specific rhythm and record it again. I'd like to do 16-16 even in/out breath, and 8 - 24 - 16 retention style breathing.

Each day do one and record. Every third session do control, listening to music or just resting to see how it affects my heart rate. Try to get a few cycles of data and see what results I have. Maybe I shouldn't have any expectations, but I'm guessing the retentive style breathing will result in a lower heart rate.

Anyone else have thoughts on Body hacks/experimentations? Or want to join in on this one?

Well I didn't want to spoil your fun (serious inquiry) , but, I did some experimentation on an exercise bike with a built-in heart monitor a few years ago. (No pedaling, just sitting with hands on the handles where the heart beat monitor contacts are)

What I discovered is this: I could drop my heart rate by 10 bpm by holding my breath and totally relaxing the entire body. It worked best to maintain the lower rate and keep it there if I rapidly exhaled and rapidly inhaled through the mouth and just stretched out the retention periods.

Another note, when you retain your breath, make sure to disperse the attention to relaxing the whole body (not a pinpointed area) and don't focus just on the heart. When you retain the breath, it is like gathering chi/prana and then through attention you are directing it. It can be like a magnifying glass with the sun's rays so you have to be careful, lest you set the ant on fire.. :). (You probably know this, but I thought I'd mention it for others..)

• Like 3

On an exercise machine I can drop my heart rate by 6 or 7 beats by visualizing a beach where I'm on a hammock and the moon is rising.  Likewise I find negative thoughts raise my heart rate about that much.  The heart rate probably is a more sensitive barometer then we give it credit for. 

Good advice to disperse attention.  Though sometimes, for a limited amount of time, a magnifying glass is just what we need.

• Like 1