Sign in to follow this  
MASTERforge

Choosing the right time during the day to meditate

I normally meditate in the evening but I was reading the syllabus for YMAA and their meditation is from 6-7am. I am wondering when is the preferred time to meditate?

For me a 6am start would probably send me to sleep. I am willing to have a go with this time if it is beneficial so I thought I would ask peoples experiences of different times for meditation.

I like morning..the earlier the better..though lately I have been doing around 10-11 am.

Might try 6 am tomorrow.

My best time is between 5 and 7 am. I'm most clear and settled. This is what my shiye recommends as well, when possible. I tend to get more easily distracted or sleepy in the afternoon and evening.

I do it early in the morning 5:30 - 6:00. I'm afraid if I didn't do it until night it wouldn't get done.

I usually meditate a couple of hours before going to sleep, around midnight i guess. The still of the night works wonders for me, as there are usually not loud noises from the street, phone calls or other distractions.

It's also something that i don't usually try to avoid or skip, since after doing it i'm already relaxed and ready to get some good sleep. However, i try to avoid meditating when i'm too tired or it's already too late, as in those situations i tend to lose concentration. Still better than nothing though. :)

I normally meditate in the evening but I was reading the syllabus for YMAA and their meditation is from 6-7am. I am wondering when is the preferred time to meditate?

For me a 6am start would probably send me to sleep. I am willing to have a go with this time if it is beneficial so I thought I would ask peoples experiences of different times for meditation.

4:30 am . Then afternoons, and 9 or 10 pm. That's sitting. At bed time its lying meditation till 4:30am. :D

Peace,

Lin

night time is the time I meditate the most. I like the mornings though. and the afternoons...lol...

I don't think you can say there is a "right" time (unless of course you mean right now).

It is fun to experiment, keeping in mind the body's cycles and different organs ebb and flow. I also read somewhere that for every decade of life the average body's circadian rhythms move one hour earlier.

I don't think you can say there is a "right" time (unless of course you mean right now).

It is fun to experiment, keeping in mind the body's cycles and different organs ebb and flow. I also read somewhere that for every decade of life the average body's circadian rhythms move one hour earlier.

I have had more than one teacher who responded to this question the same way.

Practice whenever you can. when is a good time to practice? whenever you are able!

I think most of us not living as a monk can relate to that attitude.

Maybe serious householders can take that attitude of Practice whenever you are not doing anything more important (doing dishes, changing diapers, earning money...).

When is a good time to practice? right now...bye

Craig

Sign in to follow this