Ordinary Being

Kindly Greetings

I am proud to be a member of this most auspicious group. I have little practical experience in Taoism, but have a strong moral sense, and a good heart. I am probably over-read in Zen Teaching, and am very reverent of the works of Charles Luk (Lu Ku'an Yu), DT Suzuki, Manly P Hall and more. 

I am here to begin/deepen practice. Theory without practice is dead to me. So...given that the true Tao cannot be spoken of; can someone point out to me a qualified teacher/master in the Northern California area (Oakland Bay Area)? I am still 'pliable,' though I do not want to waste yet another lifetime in Samsara wandering aimlessly adding heads upon heads. 

I want to know how to put the teachings to work during this lifetime. 

Thank You kindly

Sincerely,

Another Ordinary Being. 

• Like 3

Hello, Ordinary Being, and welcome to the forums,

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi Ordinary Being,

Those are pretty rare, aren't they? 

Yes, based on my observations one can easily get over-Zenned.

Not a lot of people reading these introductory posts so you might what to mention that you are looking for a qualified teacher/Master in one of the forum threads or maybe even start your own thread in an appropriate sub-forum.

And I totally agree with you.  What good is philosophy if we cannot apply it to our everyday life?

May you enjoy your time here.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

Hello Ordinary Being - your name alone tells me you've done much ego work.  I too am a Manley Hall freak - in fact, I used to go to his lectures in Hollywood CA in the late sixties / early seventies.  I currently have on my nightstand The Secret Teachings of All Ages, which will be my second reading of this incredible book.

You've found the right place for the metaphysical mindset - so glad you're here!

Love to you -

Manitou

• Like 1