karen

Customized Eating Guidelines now available

Hi Christoph,

You're right--Dr. D'Adamo's work was largely unproven theory. But Dr. Laura Power took up the research, and provided the missing proof that lectin reactions correlate with blood type.

http://www.biotype.net/diets

Dr. Power correlates ABO blood types with three kinds of food allergies (IgE, IgG, and T-cells). This data also includes A1-A2 sub-types, Rh type and gender specific allergies, whereas D'Adamo didn't look at the subtypes. Allergies for type A1 are distinctly different from A2, as are differences between A1B and A2B.

95% of lectins are destroyed in cooking, so that part is not as critical when eating all cooked food. But since a healthy diet consists of at least some raw foods, the lectin research is very useful.

-Karen

About diet typologies vs. other kinds of diet studies -

With diet typologies, we're looking at independent research that correlates diet with various functions that affect homeostasis, and there are many - there's acid/alkaline balance, electrolyte balance, catabolic/anabolic balance (Dr. Revici pionneered that research) and constitutional type, in addition to metabolic type, endocrine (body type) and blood type.

Some of those weigh more heavily than others, so we can simplify things a bit, without having to look at every single one of those for each person. But the homeostsatic systems which vary from person to person are important to look at. For example, what makes a food acid or alkaline isn't a function of the food itself, but depends on the particular way in which the person metabolizes that food.

This means that nutritional needs can't be generalized, and this cuts through the confusion over which diet is "best." None are best for everyone, and even one typing system alone isn't the final word on nutrition.

Many of the pop diets like D'Adamo's blood type diet, south beach diet, etc., have come and gone, not adding much to our knowledge of real principles. But when independent research brings out the kernels of truth, and develops them into a system grounded in principle, not based on abstractions that come out of conventional studies -- that's what gets my attention. :).

About diet typologies vs. other kinds of diet studies -

This means that nutritional needs can't be generalized, and this cuts through the confusion over which diet is "best." None are best for everyone, and even one typing system alone isn't the final word on nutrition.

Many of the pop diets like D'Adamo's blood type diet, south beach diet, etc., have come and gone, not adding much to our knowledge of real principles. But when independent research brings out the kernels of truth, and develops them into a system grounded in principle, not based on abstractions that come out of conventional studies -- that's what gets my attention. :).

Hey Karen,

Would it be possible for you to give a little review or your perspective of The China Study? I would really be interested in hearing other opinions on this. ( I know nothing about nutrition ;) )

Thanks,

M

Would it be possible for you to give a little review or your perspective of The China Study? I would really be interested in hearing other opinions on this. ( I know nothing about nutrition ;) )

M

Hi Matt,

I'd love to, and thanks for the great idea for an article for my website! - but it would take some time for me to write it, and there is already an excellent and thorough review written by someone I know who is a veritable scholar of Weston Price's research:

"The Truth about the China Study" by Chris Masterjohn

The agenda to get people to eat zero cholesterol (and have them take cholesterol lowering drugs) is a very dangerous one.

Weston Price's research really showed the fallacy of the vegetarian agenda, and come to think of it, the article "The Myths of Vegetarianism" is another good read.

Hope that helps!

Karen

Edited by karen