dhubs

Hi everyone

Hey everyone, my name is David, and I am not a Daoist, but I am very interested with it. I have never really been a religious/spiritual person, but I have always wanted more with what I am doing. I started looking into forums for 2 main reasons. I live in a really remote area where there are not any Daoist that I can actually talk to. The other reason I started looking at forums is because of a paper I am writing. Because of my interest in Daoism I really want to interview someone and just ask some simple questions. If this is frowned upon by this forum community I am truly sorry and I will not to try and impose any more. I am hoping to learn more from this experience and continue to contribute even after I have written my paper. Thanks. 

• Like 3

Hello, dhubs, and welcome to the forums,

Your membership is approved and we're happy you found your way to us. We look forward to accompanying you on some of the way that you still have to go.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Marblehead and the TDB team

Hi David,

Don't worry about not being a religious/spiritual person around here.  I'm an Atheist and no one has beat me over the head about it.

Start a thread in whatever sub-forum you think best and state your request about interviewing someone about their understandings of Taoism.

With luck you will have some nice experiences here and will want to remain active after you have written your paper.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 3

Hello Dhubs - Marblehead has it exactly right.  Not many actual Daoists here - but so many of us who love to talk philosophy have found there way to this forum.  I'm not a Daoist either - but there's something here that's very deep and mysterious that you will no doubt enjoy.  I echo Marbles - i hope you stick around after your paper is written.

Best wishes to you -

Manitou

• Like 2

Thank you for letting me join hopefully I can find some answers to my questions here. Right now I wouldn't consider myself atheist as I do believe in something greater than myself, whether it be a god, or just a path to make my spiritual self better. I spoke to my wife not long ago after being in this religion class and I asked her "have you felt empty like something is missing?" Of course she wondered where I was going and I meant to her spiritually. I have been interested in Buddhism but never knew much about Daoism. Through the class I learned a little, but I have always been more fascinated about the meditation process and what it can help someone achieve. I have always believed the mind is very strong and with a weak mind, comes sickness and possibly misfortune throughout life. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I hear you.  There was a point in time where I felt something was missing too.  I tried to find a religion but not satisfied the emptiness.  Look at spirituality but that was even worse for me.  Then Daoism came into my life and it did a good enough job so that I was able to end my search.

Lots of folks here enjoy talking about meditation.  You won't have any trouble getting someone to talk with you about that.  Myself, I used "empty-minded" meditation.  It is a method alluded to by Chuang Tzu.

Welcome.  Despite the name we tend to be a pretty wide open philosophy site.  As I recall the site name is more influenced by the book Dharma Bums then Dao. 

• Like 1