ilumairen

The Four Rabbinum

The following story comes from Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estés, PH.D. The notes include mention of a Talmudic version of the tale - The Four Who Entered Paradise . In the Talmudic version three of the four go mad after gazing upon the ancient female deity, Shekhinah.

One night four rabbinum were visited by an angel who awakened them and carried them to the Seventh Vault of the Seventh Heaven. There they beheld the sacred Wheel of Ezekiel.

Somewhere in the descent from Pardes, Paradise, to Earth, one Rabbi, having seen such splendor, lost his mind and wandered frothing and foaming until the end of his days. The second Rabbi was extremely cynical: "Oh I just dreamed Ezekiel's Wheel, that was all. Nothing really happened." The third Rabbi carried on and on about what he had seen, for he was totally obsessed. He lectured and would not stop with how it was constructed and what it all meant ... and in this way he went astray and betrayed his faith. The fourth Rabbi, who was a poet, took a paper in hand and a reed and sat near the window writing song after song praising the evening dove, his daughter in her cradle, and all the stars in the sky. And he lived his life better than before.

Edited by ilumairen
  • Like 6

I love that book!  It triggered much healing in my wife.

Yes, there is that, and I'm glad your wife found the book useful. :)

In this post however, I was more interested in how the story tied in with what Yueya shared in the fear of the feminine thread, and the ideas of integration and stabilization given the nature of many other discussions here.

• Like 2

Yes, there is that, and I'm glad your wife found the book useful. :) In this post however, I was more interested in how the story tied in with what Yueya shared in the fear of the feminine thread, and the ideas of integration and stabilization given the nature of many other discussions here.

So is your point that many can't handle the overwhelming energy flows of opening the crown? (seventh vault)

So is your point that many can't handle the overwhelming energy flows of opening the crown? (seventh vault)

Nope. Although if that's what you got out of it I will not argue with your perception.

• Like 1

The story in the Talmud is 4 rabbi entered the pardes( pardes in Hebrew is a garden with fruit trees ,a Talmud metaphor to upper worlds ) what happened is not told ,and one had died ,one got mad , one become heretic ,and one well entered and came out well.

Edited by sanfeng

The story in the Talmud is 4 rabbi entered the pardes( pardes in Hebrew is a garden with fruit trees ,a Talmud metaphor to upper worlds ) what happened is not told ,and one had died ,one got mad , one become heretic ,and one well entered and came out well.

Thank you. The only reference I had was what was in the book.

Edited by ilumairen

The one that become heretic ,in the Talmud we are told saw mettron siting on the throne and came to believe that there are 2 authority's in haven , because only god can sit on the throne (tha angles can only stand ). God punished mettron with lashes of fire .

The one that become heretic ,in the Talmud we are told saw mettron siting on the throne and came to believe that there are 2 authority's in haven , because only god can sit on the throne (tha angles can only stand ). God punished mettron with lashes of fire .

From what I've found (not source material) Mettatron was the scribe of God, and allowed to sit to perform his duties. After being seen and assumed to be equal to God he was punished to prove that he could be - therefore proving he was not equal to God.

I prefer the 'Egyptian outcome' .  

A man wanted to see inside the most sacred chamber and come face to face with the most high God. of the land, but  he was told it was not allowed, only the highest priest and his assistant were allowed to do so, once a year.  So the man entered temple service as one of the lowest assistants, he served and studied for years, gradually rising through the ranks. he told his teachers of his aim and they encouraged him to persevere and one day, in his old age, before he died, he may get a chance to fulfill his dream. 

One day, it finally came to pass, he became the High Priest's assistant. He could do nothing except talk about the approaching day, prepare himself with ritual and prayer and do everything necessary for the preparations. 

The day finally came, the High Priest  stopped him at the final door  "Are you sure you want to do this, this is your last chance, this experience will change you forever and there will be no going back to what you were before. "  The man said that was the whole point of his journey.  They entered the chamber and inside was a statue of Ptah, the cleaned the statue, dressed it with fresh robes,  the priest left the offerings, said a prayer and lit some incense .   he looked at the man, who didnt seem too impressed.  So he said to him "In fact, this is really just the outer temple of the God .... are you ready now to come with me into the innermost sanctuary and see the reality of god face to face ? " 

"I am ". said the man, and the Priest led him to the back of the room and trough a doorway and up a spiral staircase into a tower. They climbed to the top of the stairs and came to a door. The priest asked "Are you ready to meet God ?" The man said he was, so they entered the room.

It was a room on top of a square tower, it had windows all around, the priest led the man to one of them and said "Behold your God." and walked away and left the man there alone.

he looked out the window ....   the sky was a brilliant flawless azure blue ...  a line of geese flew across the valley high overhead .... the river  glittered in the sunlight, a fish jumped and made ripples ... a woman was walking up from the river, carrying a pot of water on her head and nearby he heard some children laugh .....  he stood there transfixed - watching .

After a  while the priest came back and placed  his hand on the man's shoulder "Its time to go." the priest told him.

The man turned, with a look of wonder and satisfaction on his face   " Thank you," he told the priest , "Thank you for everything."

And the priest was right   - the man was changed,   for ever .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

This was my favorite line of the story. :)

me too   :)

" praising the evening dove, his daughter in her cradle, and all the stars in the sky. " 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

I prefer the 'Egyptian outcome' .  

A man wanted to see inside the most sacred chamber and come face to face with the most high God. of the land, but  he was told it was not allowed, only the highest priest and his assistant were allowed to do so, once a year.  So the man entered temple service as one of the lowest assistants, he served and studied for years, gradually rising through the ranks. he told his teachers of his aim and they encouraged him to persevere and one day, in his old age, before he died, he may get a chance to fulfill his dream. 

One day, it finally came to pass, he became the High Priest's assistant. He could do nothing except talk about the approaching day, prepare himself with ritual and prayer and do everything necessary for the preparations. 

The day finally came, the High Priest  stopped him at the final door  "Are you sure you want to do this, this is your last chance, this experience will change you forever and there will be no going back to what you were before. "  The man said that was the whole point of his journey.  They entered the chamber and inside was a statue of Ptah, the cleaned the statue, dressed it with fresh robes,  the priest left the offerings, said a prayer and lit some incense .   he looked at the man, who didnt seem too impressed.  So he said to him "In fact, this is really just the outer temple of the God .... are you ready now to come with me into the innermost sanctuary and see the reality of god face to face ? " 

"I am ". said the man, and the Priest led him to the back of the room and trough a doorway and up a spiral staircase into a tower. They climbed to the top of the stairs and came to a door. The priest asked "Are you ready to meet God ?" The man said he was, so they entered the room.

It was a room on top of a square tower, it had windows all around, the priest led the man to one of them and said "Behold your God." and walked away and left the man there alone.

he looked out the window ....   the sky was a brilliant flawless azure blue ...  a line of geese flew across the valley high overhead .... the river  glittered in the sunlight, a fish jumped and made ripples ... a woman was walking up from the river, carrying a pot of water on her head and nearby he heard some children laugh .....  he stood there transfixed - watching .

After a  while the priest came back and placed  his hand on the man's shoulder "Its time to go." the priest told him.

The man turned, with a look of wonder and satisfaction on his face   " Thank you," he told the priest , "Thank you for everything."

And the priest was right   - the man was changed,   for ever .

A matter of perspective... :)

and why not put oneself in the best perspective possible ! 

Filling one's mind with gratitude, savoring the joy of being, and writing poems about the simple treasures to be found in daily existence...

• Like 1