Another theosophic explanation:

Metatron (Chaldean) Mĕṭaṭrōn Messenger; the Presence-Angel of the Covenant, superior to all other angels, according to the Qabbalah, considered as occupying as its Angel the second world (‘olam Beri’ah), constituting the entire world of spirits or angels, as he governs the visible world, preserves the harmony, unity, and revolutions of the spheres, planets, and celestial bodies, and is the commander of all the myriads of the angelic hosts of the next inferior world (Yetsirah).

Metatron is equivalent to the Greek angel, the idea being that it steps down the first world (’Atstsiloth) of spirit to the third world of form. Metatron is the garment or visible manifestation of the projected spiritual and substantial energies from the first world, and his name equals 314, and thus is equal numerically to Shaddai, the Almighty (Zohar iii, 231a).

• Like 1

It has a "halting problem" of sorts.

Fits and starts, as the saying goes? I've learned growth is neither continuous nor symmetrical but with patience it resumes (and then I sometimes realize I just wasn't noticing stuff below the waterline so maybe it is continuous). I'm told there are always higher levels but I certainly can see how one might think an end had been reached. I seem to reach inflection points, stabilize for a bit and then expand again.

EDIT: Or do I miss your point?

Edited by Brian

Through the crown, yes, but more the point above that which is not a single point -- if that makes sense.

Those who remember me creating this thread may remember a few others I created about the same time. I've done a bit of integrating and expanding since then. ;)

Are you referring to the eighth chakra above the top of the head, according to some? It may be of interest in this context that in the Golden Dawn's Middle Pillar exercise, the energetic centre that corresponds with Kether is in fact visualized as a sphere above the head rather than at its top.

Furthermore, Kether - in all its intangibility - is in fact seen as first threshold for the Infinite Light (Ain Soph Aur) on its way to physical manifestation, beyond which lay the three planes of 'negative existence.'

This conception has an interesting (although more limited) analogy in the virtual particles' constant popping into and out of existence, from and back into an all encompassing, energy filled vacuum.

Are you referring to the eighth chakra above the top of the head, according to some? It may be of interest in this context that in the Golden Dawn's Middle Pillar exercise, the energetic centre that corresponds with Kether is in fact visualized as a sphere above the head rather than at its top.

Furthermore, Kether - in all its intangibility - is in fact seen as first threshold for the Infinite Light (Ain Soph Aur) on its way to physical manifestation, beyond which lay the three planes of 'negative existence.'

This conception has an interesting (although more limited) analogy in the virtual particles' constant popping into and out of existence, from and back into an all encompassing, energy filled vacuum.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. That sphere expands.

Thank you for this post.

• Like 1

I believe he is said to be the Being whom sits closest to God....this can be seen as an illusion to the close relationship of these higher centers. Though i've heard people mention there are other centers above the 8th....several...yet to confirm this myself. 

• Like 1

Yes. It's been made clear to me that the process is without boundaries.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.

It has a "halting problem" of sorts.

Fits and starts, as the saying goes? I've learned growth is neither continuous nor symmetrical but with patience it resumes (and then I sometimes realize I just wasn't noticing stuff below the waterline so maybe it is continuous). I'm told there are always higher levels but I certainly can see how one might think an end had been reached. I seem to reach inflection points, stabilize for a bit and then expand again.

EDIT: Or do I miss your point?

I'm afraid so.

How about this, "The Dao that can be computed, is not the eternal Dao", and thus the Dao has a halting problem of sorts also.

I'm afraid so.

How about this, "The Dao that can be computed, is not the eternal Dao", and thus the Dao has a halting problem of sorts also.

Ah! Yes, I see your point now. Time may provide each of us with a specific answer but we might be splitting hairs. After all, the veracity of that opening verse faces the same challenge. For now, though, someone far beyond me told me that someone far beyond him stated the expansion continues far beyond that level so, while while we may not be talking infinity, I suspect it will keep me busy for a while.

I believe he is said to be the Being whom sits closest to God....this can be seen as an allusion to the close relationship of these higher centers. Though i've heard people mention there are other centers above the 8th....several...yet to confirm this myself. 

There are at least two traditions - one says he was always on a throne next to God, another says he was a man - Enoch - whose service was rewarded with  transformation into Metatron.  Of course there are ways to blend the two versions.

Edited by Bodhicitta

Kind of a tangent, kind of not. I've heard it said Satan is the same as Michael, that is, assigned to the Southern quarter, Lucifer Gabriel, assigned to the Eastern quarter, etc. That it is the intent of the energy, regardless of the name given. So if one does a negative work, even though Michael is the name called, Satan is the aspect of Micheal harnessing the energy.

I'm probably explaining that all wrong, but wonder if quaballaists see it simarly, or if that's all wrong.

Do quaballists do negative works, other than bind and return? Do they even bind/return?

Very new to quaballah/golden dawn. Please forgive ignorance.

Thank you.

I was reading through my Quareia book and realized there was a card in the deck that actually refers to Metatron as Keeper of the Abyss. Picture below. 

https://benebellwen.files.wordpress.com/2015/12/lxxxi-quareia-deck-05-inner-realm-color-discrepancy.jpg

Actually thanks for the site reference, the author seems quite interesting and has even written a book on Chinese Talismans, which judging by its table of contents looks very complete and interesting.  Also like me she is very cross cultural, with an interest in, and apparently some practical skill in Western traditions.

Book on Fu, or Talismans:

promoimage_05.jpg?w=739

Her Site:

Benebell Wen

Having just discovered this today, I can only say that it looks good, I may have more comments later.

• Like 5

Actually thanks for the site reference, the author seems quite interesting and has even written a book on Chinese Talismans, which judging by its table of contents looks very complete and interesting. Also like me she is very cross cultural, with an interest in, and apparently some practical skill in Western traditions.

Book on Fu, or Talismans:

promoimage_05.jpg?w=739

Her Site:

Benebell Wen

Having just discovered this today, I can only say that it looks good, I may have more comments later.

I hope you will comment more, Donald, after you have explored a bit. This is intriguing.

I hope you will comment more, Donald, after you have explored a bit. This is intriguing.

As it turns out I received a copy for Christmas, I am doing my preliminary look at it today, and will report more, though since it is off topic I will probably open another thread and post a link here.  More in a few weeks.

• Like 3

As it turns out I received a copy for Christmas, I am doing my preliminary look at it today, and will report more, though since it is off topic I will probably open another thread and post a link here.  More in a few weeks.

It took longer than I thought and I didn't open the thread, but I did finally post a review of this book Daoist Talismans here:

Review of Benebel Wen's The Tao of Craft in Group Studies

• Like 1

Hi all, I'm very sorry, I'm in a place where I've learned to waste nothing, especially bandwidth and water; they're pricey. I did check email, and for the person who asked if compassion means anything to me, yes it does. There is a lot of suffering, around me. I do what I can to alleviate the angst.

On the positive side, the symptoms of my illnesses are improving, bit by bit. Eliminating contact with certain people had helped a lot. And my suffering neighbors are wonderful. We all have our own hangups, but it's beautiful, anyway. I finally understand what mother Teresa meant, when she said there is beauty in suffering. It does tend to soften the toughest hearts, sometimes​.

One of my neighbors is now learning to read, another just kicked a pretty nasty hard dope addiction. Another moved, I'm hopeful it's not the slums. Yet another is struggling, not with addiction or money, but her own hardened heart. I remain hopeful, for her.

Thank you all again for thoughtful replies.

• Like 1