Sign in to follow this  
gatito

Hindu Textual Studies

I'd be most grateful if you'd be kind enough to create a Hindu Textual Studies sub-forum in the Hindu Discussion area.

Thank you in anticipation.

• Like 1

Nice idea.   Done :)

I'll look later for some items to move.

If there are ones you have in mind, you can either post a link to them here or just report it with a request to move it.

• Like 1

The two threads that are now pinned in the main Hindu Discussion are prime candidates but I suggest that if you move them then they should be unpinned.

The two threads that are now pinned in the main Hindu Discussion are prime candidates but I suggest that if you move them then they should be unpinned.

Done.

• Like 1

Wow!,

You've been busy!

I don't think that the videos that I posted belong in there but I'm glad that you moved them because I was going to start by translating a couple of ancient Shaivist texts from the original sanskrit.

However, it's acted to jog my memory and so I think that I'll start with Atma Darshan and Atma Nirvriti and thereby tidy up a couple of loose ends first...

(Don't worry, I won't infringe the copyright.)

:)

Edited by gatito

Actually, I don't mind to give you "move" permissions for a few weeks if you want to build up the area???

What I would do is make you a "local moderator" of Hindu and Hindu textual studies with "move" permission.

• Like 1

That's an interesting offer with some implications that I need to consider more carefully.

In the interim, could you move Pranayama 101 into the Textual Studies area please?

Again, thanks in anticipation.

There was a great thread that was a suggested reading list with contributions from a wide variety of members (and former members) that that I've just returned to this thread to add to the list because I thought that it should not only be moved but that it deserved pinning.

I was looking through it earlier but I can't locate it now and I'm wondering if I hid it by mistake? :unsure:

That's an interesting offer with some implications that I need to consider more carefully.

In the interim, could you move Pranayama 101 into the Textual Studies area please?

Again, thanks in anticipation.

Done.

There was a great thread that was a suggested reading list with contributions from a wide variety of members (and former members) that that I've just returned to this thread to add to the list because I thought that it should not only be moved but that it deserved pinning.

I was looking through it earlier but I can't locate it now and I'm wondering if I hid it by mistake? :unsure:

I don't find any recently hidden topics by you... a few individual posts.

If you can remember the topic starter or some phrase or book recommended?

• Like 1

Could you move it and pin it please - unless anyone has any objections?

I think that it's in keeping with the stated egalitatarian Founding  Principles that eveyone should have equal standing in recommending texts that they consider to be useful.

As an aside, on the matter of the excellent Founding  Principles, could I suggest that they're placed somewhere that everyone can access them? At the moment, you have to be a logged-in member to see them.

Regarding your kind offer, I'll not be going through the remaining threads in the main area with the intention of suggesting any others but if I happen to stumble across any, I'm happy to suggest them here (as can anyone else).

In fact, what I had in mind was to start afresh with some sanskrit texts in the new section, however, the universe came up with something that's different and, I think, better. The new section is now well seeded, with the exception of the only thread that I think deserves to be pinned.

I'm content now to let it grow and to watch events unfold as they will...

Could you move it and pin it please - unless anyone has any objections?

Done.

I think that it's in keeping with the stated egalitatarian Founding  Principles that eveyone should have equal standing in recommending texts that they consider to be useful.

Agreed... but in most cases, the first requesting person is the only one who normally makes any comments... I moved the Buddhist Textual studies threads but asked Simple_Jack to recommend more...  So it goes.   

As an aside, on the matter of the excellent Founding  Principles, could I suggest that they're placed somewhere that everyone can access them? At the moment, you have to be a logged-in member to see them.

That's a good point. Let me look at that.

Regarding your kind offer, I'll not be going through the remaining threads in the main area with the intention of suggesting any others but if I happen to stumble across any, I'm happy to suggest them here (as can anyone else).

In fact, what I had in mind was to start afresh with some sanskrit texts in the new section, however, the universe came up with something that's different and, I think, better. The new section is now well seeded, with the exception of the only thread that I think deserves to be pinned.

I'm content now to let it grow and to watch events unfold as they will...

That sounds good.   This is a natural and parallel setup to the other areas but nobody asked till now.

When I seed an area like this, I am sure there are some I overlook and some that shouldn't go.  SO I am all ears to improve the area.  

• Like 1

Ah... yes...

Simple_Jack... :)

I recall that I drew your attention to that particular problem several times, starting at the beginning of your tenure...

However, as I said, better late than never.

• Like 1

Ah... yes...

Simple_Jack... :)

I recall that I drew your attention to that particular problem several times, starting at the beginning of your tenure...

However, as I said, better late than never.

Very true...  So let me ask you honestly... 

Getting staff volunteers is harder and harder...   I would like some female participation but they laugh on end at the idea.

What about an advisory board where folks might feel they avoid being a staff target but willing to participate in commenting to the staff on issues.   Would you or others like to be a part of that?

Firstly, I've addressed these issues several times including most recently here.

See here also.

However, off the cuff: -

I'm not surprised that getting volunteers is difficult.

The first step would be to persuade (in alphabetical order) Brian, Chang and soaring crane to get back on board to increase the moderator group to 5. Only 3 need to be active but all of them should be permanent members of the moderator group, so that we (the rest of TTBs) don't know who are the active ones. I'd suggest no more than a 12-week active tour for any individual mod.

From now on, moderators should use only this Mod Squad profile to post moderation messages and I suggest that they mainly use standard cut-and-paste messages, so that it's more difficult to target via posting style. This also decreases the possibility of inappropriate personal involvement. If someone is personally involved in a thread (e.g. has started it or has posted in it, etc...) then, if the Mod Squad needs to get involved, the 3-mod quorum needs to be made up by off-duty mods.

Hopefully, the first step is usually a polite cut-and-paste Mod Squad message inviting an edit and if this isn't possible, hide the post for discussion by the active Mod Squad and send a standard cut and past message to the member whose post was hidden.

Then recruit more members (particularly women) until you have at least a dozen mods who rotate in order to avoid burnout and to avoid "targeting". Don't stop there though. Ideally the whole forum should end up in the moderator group and self-police, although that won't happen in practice, as there will be many people who won't be interested in joining that group or who are unsuitable. However, that doesn't mean to say that they're not on an equal footing with individual members of the moderator group (see the Founding Principles, the Valve Handbook and the Structure & Dynamics of Organisations and Groups).

Then just moderate in line with the Founding Principles, the Valve Handbook, The Structure & Dynamics of Organisations and Groups and the rules. Encourage everyone to use the report button (including the moderator group).

Most importantly, as admin, let the three active mods get on with the job without interference or just do all the moderation by yourself...

I might add to or subtract from this after I've thought about it properly and/or in response to any constructive feedback from anyone to me via PM.

**********    END OF THREAD UNLESS IT GETS BACK ON-TOPIC...    **********

Edited by gatito
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this