Rocco

Balancing Too Much Yin? How?

Given a man has too much Yin overall. I don't mean in a particular organ, I mean in his whole expression and personaity. Is there a way to balance that?

Can one balance a Yin personalitiy by drawing in Yang from outside? How? Does it really work? Has anyone experiences doing so successfully?

Thank you!

Edited by Rocco

You're thinking too generally. It's impossible to work that way.

Just do something more masculine. Martial arts, whatever. There is no magical yang energy you can gather from the air. No shortcuts.

• Like 3

@Soaring Crane: Yes, indeed, I do. Since I started CK and other esoteric practices, I observe that I've become more Yin (receptive,feminine, less typical masculine) in several areas of life and I wonder if that can be counteracted by accumulating / cultivating Yang energies.Working out e.g. becamemore difficult for me.

@Bearded Dragon: I am convinced that what we are doing and discussing here (working with Chi) IS Magick!  :-)  I hope Chi Kung can help or at least giving a push toward the desired direction.

Edited by Rocco

men are yang on the outside, yin inside with one point of extreme yang. so all tough on the outside and weak inside.

Women are all soft and cuddly on the outside but internally very strong with a point of extreme of yin.

To strengthen a balance deficiency of too much yin is overcoming emotions to balance to much yang overcome ego or the illusion self.

• Like 1

I'm full of yang haha....

Grab yourself a strength training program....and commit. That's one way to do it.

You could also up your levels of caffiene and spices also.

• Like 1

Exercise, especially lifting weights. If you do martial arts, avoid internal styles...be practical and realistic. Set goals and more importantly, make them happen. Work hard and do your absolute best at your career. It helps to develop somewhat of an addiction toward having this type of personality that conquers things and is indestructible...a yin person tends to base their decisions on how they feel in the moment, but a yang person ignores feelings and uses reason above all else.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 1

Re:

-----

"Can one balance a Yin personalitiy by drawing in Yang from outside? How? Does it really work? Has anyone experiences doing so successfully?"

-----

Yin attracts yang, yang attracts yin.

Yin repels yin, yang repels yang.

Big yin attracts small yin, big yang attracts small yang.

Everything experiences this way.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Re:

-----

"Can one balance a Yin personalitiy by drawing in Yang from outside? How? Does it really work? Has anyone experiences doing so successfully?"

-----

Yin attracts yang, yang attracts yin.

Yin repels yin, yang repels yang.

Big yin attracts small yin, big yang attracts small yang.

Everything experiences this way.

-VonKrankenhaus

Sounds marvellous!

Your recommendation,...practically?

The reason people become too "yin," when they do Qi gong is usually because they are doing it improperly.

Qi gong should have no big changing effect on your personality, although many people who already have "soft" personalities or personal problems tend to veer toward qi gong, and often bring along their illness with them to class.  I'm not saying this is you, but in an environment where there are surely many people like this, there is no way you would not be affected.

If you want to man up, just do things that make you feel invigorated.  Go for a run, don't ejaculate for a few days, eat some beef, have a sparring match, swing kettle bells, do kung fu, get in an argument with someone, take opera lessons (really good for breathing technique btw).

Qi gong shouldn't make you feel happy and tired, it should make you feel replenished and energetic.  If you walk away from Qi gong or taiji practice feeling sleepy and happy, it means you are doing "kong zhuan he che," or "empty ciruclation of the microcosmic orbit."  This is the result of not having built up enough qi in the lower dantian, and basically still circulating the mind around the MCO.  This kind of practice isn't terrible for your health, but it also isn't good for your health, and certainly it falls under the category of things that will make you feel sleepy and as if you took a low dose of mdma.

If you want a qi gong specific exercise that can help you deal with this, I suggest pole standing (zhan zhuang) while focusing on the lower dantian and breathing naturally.  you can do it with eyes open or closed, but make sure that you bend your knees deeply enough that you have to support yourself with your quads and abdominal basin.   If you can stand like this until you stop shaking, you will get quite a bit of benefit in terms of balancing your energy.

Or you could learn Nei dan and exhuast your yin energy while maximizing your yang energy!!  :) :) :) :) :)

• Like 2

If you want to become more yang Rocco, then so-called masculine activities -- weight lifting and whatnot-- will probably get you there: yang is as yang does. But first I´d ask how you know your too yin? Are you yin in a way that´s uncomfortable for you personally, or you just believe you shouldn´t be that way because you´re a guy? Is there anything you like about your yin qualities?

Others may disagree, but I say yin is beautiful -- even for a dude.

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 4

If you want to become more yang Rocco, then so-called masculine activities -- weight lifting and whatnot-- will probably get you there: yang is as yang does. But first I´d ask how you know your too yin? Are you yin in a way that´s uncomfortable for you personally, or you just believe you shouldn´t be that way because you´re a guy? Is there anything you like about your yin qualities?

Others may disagree, but I say yin is beautiful -- even for a dude.

Liminal

Classical Daoism is all about enhancing yin / learning to work with yin. For instance, these nine principles of early Tianshi Daoism derive from various chapters of the Daodejing... 

THE NINE PRACTICES OF EARLY TIANSHI DAOISM

1. Practice non-action (wuwei).

2. Practice softness and weakness (rouruo).

3. Practice guarding the feminine (shouci). Do not initiate actions.

4. Practice being nameless (wuming).

5. Practice clarity and stillness (qingjing).

6. Practice being adept (zhushan).

7. Practice being desireless (wuyu).

8. Practice ceasing with sufficiency (zhizu).

9. Practice yielding and withdrawing (tuirang).

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 4

Given a man has too much Yin overall. I don't mean in a particular organ, I mean in his whole expression and personaity. Is there a way to balance that?

Can one balance a Yin personalitiy by drawing in Yang from outside? How? Does it really work? Has anyone experiences doing so successfully?

Thank you!

Why is too much Yin an issue, if this is your natural state?

What is it you think you need to do?

• Like 1

External martial arts or focus on fighting techniques in the Chinese internal styles and other traditions;, certain Chinese herbs; diet and geomancy (look for southern direction, live near a desert or sunny area, arrange your home accordingly, check with a Feng Shui consultant for this if you find it difficult/time consuming as it is not easy as it seems).

Make sure the martial arts don't develop the ego as this can be a problem, I mean you must keep an eye on this to avoid falling prey to the ego.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

Qi gong shouldn't make you feel happy and tired, it should make you feel replenished and energetic. If you walk away from Qi gong or taiji practice feeling sleepy and happy, it means you are doing "kong zhuan he che," or "empty ciruclation of the microcosmic orbit." This is the result of not having built up enough qi in the lower dantian, and basically still circulating the mind around the MCO. This kind of practice isn't terrible for your health, but it also isn't good for your health, and certainly it falls under the category of things that will make you feel sleepy and as if you took a low dose of mdma.

If you want a qi gong specific exercise that can help you deal with this, I suggest pole standing (zhan zhuang) while focusing on the lower dantian and breathing naturally. you can do it with eyes open or closed, but make sure that you bend your knees deeply enough that you have to support yourself with your quads and abdominal basin. If you can stand like this until you stop shaking, you will get quite a bit of benefit in terms of balancing your energy.

Wouldn't this be subject to the type of person though?

This is a very good post and outlines the yin yang nature of Daoism which many people in North America and Europe misunderstand. true Yang comes from yin, true yin comes from yang.   You can't build genuine yang energy without beginning from a state of deep yin energy and vice versa.

This is very important!

Classical Daoism is all about enhancing yin / learning to work with yin. For instance, these nine principles of early Tianshi Daoism derive from various chapters of the Daodejing... 

THE NINE PRACTICES OF EARLY TIANSHI DAOISM

1. Practice non-action (wuwei).

2. Practice softness and weakness (rouruo).

3. Practice guarding the feminine (shouci). Do not initiate actions.

4. Practice being nameless (wuming).

5. Practice clarity and stillness (qingjing).

6. Practice being adept (zhushan).

7. Practice being desireless (wuyu).

8. Practice ceasing with sufficiency (zhizu).

9. Practice yielding and withdrawing (tuirang).

• Like 2

If you want to be Yang you need to increase the Testosterone. You may need to eat Zinc containing foods or supplements to convert the Estrogen into Testosterone (yes men have lots of Estrogen especially if you are fat or fluffy). The more fat you have in your body the more Estrogen you have. Also fat stores up Cortisol which is the stress hormone. So both Estrogen and Cortisol have feminizing effects, you want to reduce these effects by increasing Testosterone and Dopamine by going to gym and doing strenght compound exercises (resistance exercises with few repetitions). Also hard styles martial arts have same effect, but the exercises have to be anabolics/anaerobics like Bruce Lee style when heis flexing his muscles. The aerobics exercises like Yoga, Qigong, Taichi increase the Serotonine which has the role of balancing the Yin and Yang. Zhan zhuang is the best exercise for balancing Yin and Yang because cultivates both aerobic and anaerobic, balances all hormones in the body that have antagonistic effects like Testosterone-Estrogen, Adrenaline-Noradrenaline, Dopamine-Serotonine. The only energy you take from outside your body (with the exception of the food) is sunlight that produces D3 in your skin but you have to expose your skin to sunlight. D3 helps the body to produce Testosterone, also vitamins A,B,C,E and omega3/fish oil. If you don't have access to sunlight the only alternative source would be mushrooms especially shiitake mushrooms have high concentration of D3 but only if they are sundried with the hats upside down, you can find sundried shiitake mushrooms in any Chinese food store. Also you may need to eat meat that contains l-tyrosine aminoacid precursor of Dopamine and tryptophan/5-HTP precursor of Serotonine. As I said Testosterone and Estrogen are made of Progesterone which is made from Cholesterol (animal fat) with the help of Cucurma/Turmeric, so you may use some curry spices in your meat.

Once one become yang, they are attracting yin.

Make more yin, and yang is coming.

How many yinyang relations are you?

How do you balance all of these?

You do not.

They are balancing you.

However - human being has intelligence, discernment.

To be humble and learn.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 4

I second the suggestion of lifting weights! If done properly, with the right diet, you'll get lots of yang that way.

it depends on the reason of such situation: it can be something innate, temporary sickness, age etc. There is a general way to balance it by practising Dao. Other ways sometimes can help, but they don't affect the root causes (real Yin and Yang), and all people can do is to balance what they already have.

It's possible, through a special practice called zhuji - Building the Foundation. It's a set of methods in Neidan to prepare the body for getting more Yuan (innate) Qi. In Daoist circles people experience such things, but not so often as it might look after reading this forum ))

The widespread idea that real Yang can be obtained by getting really Yin is a bit funny, because "fully Yin is a ghost, fully Yang is an immortal". So obviously people speak about different things: Yin-Yang in Daoism and in Chinese Medicine/Qigong. There is some relation, but... I really suggest to find out what is Yin and what is Yang in Daoism, before trying to affect their balance.

• Like 1