seekingbuddha

suggestion on search

For quite some time, i have felt that the search feature of this website lacks  flexibility and power.  For example, today i wanted to find an old post that i had made, but i could not remember the name of the thread topic in which i posted it in.  I know the search allows for searching "members or forums etc".    But, often when i supply some keywords, the hits are presented in "most recent first" format, with no option to say  "most relevant search result first".  So, my suggestion is to either extend the search feature with things that are commonly seen in other websites, with a button that brings up  "advanced search settings".   Another option is to use  google search  button that can be integrated into the website.   Right now, i have to go to google website, if i really want a good search performed on this entire site.  I would rather do it here in the forum site itself.

This may help:

Go to your profile

Click My Content - Every thread you have posted in will be listed

Click on the thread you want - There is a search bar in the header

Search the topic for keywords. If you have been quoted in the thread you can search your name and it will come up that way as well. Additionally, there is a wheel or what some may call a cog next to the search box that allows for advanced searches.

Good luck :)

• Like 1

The problem occurs,  when someone has posted in numerous threads  and  he does not know which thread  carries a particular  sentence that  he/she may have typed in the past.   Clicking through  each thread  would not be an option in this case.

A  generic  search  for words,  across various  threads and forum sections,  with ability  to  narrow down  using  filters like  time frame OR username  OR forum subsections to search  AND  sorting order of results based on different criteria  would be  useful.  I have seen such abilities in other forums that i belong to.  

You can also Not Use the dao bums search function and go straight to googles.  type-  THEDAOBUMS.COM:What your seaching for    Into your browser and there's a good chance it'll show up in the first page or two. 

See the wheel to the right of the search box in this photo? It is white. Click it :)

post-113890-0-46920400-1452039228_thumb.png

You should see the Advanced Search page that looks like this...

post-113890-0-71018800-1452039654_thumb.png

post-113890-0-59365300-1452039716_thumb.png

Happy searching :)

• Like 1

Thank you, i didn't  notice the  settings icon until you gave the images.  That helped.  The  sorting order could be improved still with more options like "relevancy"  - for example if all the given words occur close to each other,  it could be  more relevant.  This would help  in case the exact phrase is not remembered by the searcher.    Searching  is quite important, since this forum has a wealth of  info buried in old threads.

This version is rather dated.  It is possible that an upgrade would give something more.  I'll continue to ask about the possibility of an upgrade.