JohnC

Qigong that develop other aspects but don't heal?

Hey everybody,

Are there wei gong's that don't focus on healing the body?

I'm wondering as I notice a lot of them move towards healing, and I notice some don't as efficiently.

Some seem oriented toward just the energy body, others insight, and others just to the body.

What do you guys all think?

John

Interesting question. 

I've always harbored the assumption and so far the forms I have studied all start with healing the body as the premise for all other work, once this foundation is established, then the other work commences naturally from this point on...  I hadn't even thought of bypassing the body altogether.  But then, I really enjoy my body. 

• Like 4

The psychic powers would naturally develop since most qigong methods at some point have the qi reaching the upper chakras. So I think most if not all qigong is for health and spiritual purposes regardless of the intention of the method or the practitioner. I know that some qigong methods result in self-directed chi where the chi goes to the areas that need to be healed without the person directing it there. Then it moves onto somewhere else needing healing.

I´m not sure if there are systems that develop people on some spiritual level without also helping to heal the body. Probably there are, but generally it´s hard to accomplish much in an unhealthy body. So it makes sense that bodily healing would come first.

I thought the following quote from Sifu Jenny Lamb´s website about Yi Gung interesting.

"Self-healing or the appearance of supernatural powers are side-effects along with the body's and mind's awakening. They are not the ultimate goal for Yi Gung."

• Like 1

Consciousness and qi that flow properly are synonymous with healing. How can they be separate?

There's no separating the physical body and the energy body in such practices. It's all one body.

• Like 2

Consciousness and qi that flow properly are synonymous with healing. How can they be separate?

There's no separating the physical body and the energy body in such practices. It's all one body.

"body"... what about the soul or spirit... or past and future bodies... and why talk bodies at all except this is our local concept.

When I studied Medical QIgong, the master said, "if you're here to heal the psychical body then you're in the wrong place... The necessarily healing is with the spirit and soul...".

this caused me to leave the study of Medical QIgong...  for the inseparable aspect.. for the unifying aspect...  

Seeking and searching and practicing towards something is a separating aspect...  a local construction and interpretation of the present. 

• Like 1

"body"... what about the soul or spirit... or past and future bodies... and why talk bodies at all except this is our local concept.

When I studied Medical QIgong, the master said, "if you're here to heal the psychical body then you're in the wrong place... The necessarily healing is with the spirit and soul...".

this caused me to leave the study of Medical QIgong...  for the inseparable aspect.. for the unifying aspect...  

Seeking and searching and practicing towards something is a separating aspect...  a local construction and interpretation of the present. 

I never said the body was the whole point, just that it's part of the experience. The body is the physical storehouse of spiritual activities. If your consciousness has problems then so will the body. You can't heal one without working on the other. Qi permeates every level. As you said there are no separations. It's all one thing so dichotomozing it into lesser and more important foci doesn't work.

• Like 3