yuyumonk

Ba Duan Jin by Yan Lei

I've been looking into doing the Eight Pieces of Brocade as a warm up exercise but I see so many variations online that I'm not sure which one I should do.

Does anyone have experience with Yan Lei over at http://www.shifuyanlei.co.uk/collections/qigong-dvds-and-merchandise/products/the-way-of-qigong-volume-1

Is his stuff legit? I saw his version from a friends dvd and it looks different than other demonstrations that I see online. 

Hi Yuyu,

I have trained with Shi Yan Lei at Shaolin temple UK. I have to say I'm not a fan of the Shaolin version of Baduan Jin/Eight pieces of brocade that he teaches. The benefits of Dr Yang Jwing Ming's (ymaa.com) Baduan Jin set far outweighed it - but that's just my opinion..

The variations on the Eight Pieces of Brocade are infinite as you have already discovered.

I see that you describe your location as New York. My advice would be to find yourself a teacher and get yourself some hands on instruction. DVD's are useful as reminders and aids to learning but that is all.

I am sure that forum members could point you in the direction of some sound instructors but first you will have to decide which direction you wish to travel in.

The Eight Fine Exercises are used by practitioners of both the Buddhist and Taoist Arts. Are you interested in the martial side of things or do you wish to practice simply for health benefits?

• Like 1