Metal Tao

Hatred.

Ok, I have asked many different people on this and now I come to  you guys for your opinions.

Let's talk about "Hate"

Can hate be healthy? Hate is a natural emotion, the counteremotion to Love, or tolerance...but we should tolerate evil? We know the difference between right and wrong...but we all know that is subjective and right and wrong does vary...but if someone absolutely brings the utter emotion of hatred out of you, because of the way they act towards you, should you feel ashamed, or no? After all..it IS natural. 

• Like 2

the Toltec's would say a) have your word be impeccable, B) never assume anything, c) don't take anything personally... i.e. "its not about you"

So IMO that means that the way someone might be acting towards me is really about them, and not about me.  That probably is true, so that can remove the hate.

Then, the other really important thing (IMO) to do everyday is to pray, and AT LEAST give thanks for things.  Just a few minutes is all it takes.  G-d likes to be thanked and I notice that when that is done, a lot of anger gets lifted and I'm in a much better mood. 

• Like 2

Maybe...but, also remember...hate can be so vital. We shouldn't be engulfed in our emotions but we shouldn't block them out...if I feel hatred or disgust for something or someone there's normally a good reason behind it!

This is very true Netero...however I may make one more point. 

I think...one can make use of the hate...if one's hate stems from a moral compass...then one's desire to get rid of what's abject and vulgar is clean and healthy...

I like the analogy of hate keeping you locked in a cage. It's like condemning someone or something to a prison sentence, but then you yourself serving the term. That's not to say I'm free from the emotion or that I haven't grown from it in the past. Or even that I don't believe it to be important. I've just come to know that it usually ain't doing anything to the person or thing towards which it's aimed.  

• Like 2

Adapt according to the time. Attachments only hinder progress.

When hungry, eat.

When tired, sleep.

When the actions of another arouse emotion that says "I don't like being around this person," I simply change my environment and move on. I don't run, I neutralize it, even as I become aware that there is a better place for my presence.

Justifying a reason to attach to hatred is like finding a reason to stay where I don't want to be. When I cannot change my physical environment, and another faces me with violence, I do my very best to remain calm, centered, and do not allow myself to escalate into a fight that I do not desire. This is equanimity. It takes two people to fight. Choosing to not fight when cornered builds character. Even when someone tells me what to say, demands I give answer - they cannot force me to do so, even if they hit me or call me names.

The energy built up by traumatic situations can be powerful. Use it, yes - use it to become more deeply centered, use it to shape inner growth. Attaching to it can, over time, create powerful reactionary triggers, where one snaps and behaves in ways that others may come to hate, thus continuing the cycle rather than healing it.

And remember - everyone is beautiful, and every action we develop hatred for was built upon a history we cannot understand. No mater how much we think we understand another from the outside in, it is fundamentally impossible for us to understand any other from the inside out.

Thus, rather than making judgments about another - why they should be hated, how they should change - I find it best to count myself blessed that I did not have to walk in their shoes, and I remind myself to do what I can to make the world a better place, trying as best I can to avoid presuming I know what is right for others to do. Thus I try to become the change I'd like to see in the world.

• Like 5

Emotions are energy. The good news is we can learn to integrate that energy and at the same time stop the mind stories that cause us pain.

The following is a very powerful practice to help you learn how.

This is really long but very good.

LANDING OUT OF THE MENTAL PLANE

The common denominator within any encounter of being upset is that we feel a level of discomfort. Instinctively, when confronted by an upset, we react through an expression of:

Emotional feelings.

By entertaining mental thoughts forms or stories.

Through outwardly projected physical behavior.

Whether we are aware of it or not, no matter what reactive approach we take when upset, by reacting to the upset we are attempting to sedate and control what we perceive is happening to us from our awareness. And, all sedation and control in the face of an upset is "the pushing of our shadow away from us", and consequently, a forced ascension of our awareness into the mental plane. The more we push away at the experience of "being upset", the more ungrounded we become.

When we consciously observe an upsetting experience we real eyes there are three distinct aspects to it; a physical, mental, and emotional:

The physical aspects are the circumstances or person/s that triggered the upset, and they are also the physical behaviors we are considering initiating as a consequence of whatever occurred.

The mental aspect is the story we are telling ourselves about what happened, who did what, why it happened, and whose fault it was.

The emotional aspect is how this upset is causing us to feel. The emotional aspect of any upset is accessible to us as both an uncomfortable feeling state, and emotion which we may call fear, anger, and/or grief, and as a corresponding physical sensation anchored within our body.

Here are a set of instructions inviting you to consciously enter the grounding experience we are discussing:

Remember the most recent occasion in which you felt upset. Notice how you use the mental plane as a corridor to recall the details of the incident; it obediently delivers your attention to the moment of the incident that initially triggered you. This is a useful application of the mental plane; using it as a means to fly your attention from one moment to another – whether this moment is currently unfolding or is already past. To enter a portal of upset you may also choose an upsetting experience from the past that has been festering within your thought forms right up to this present moment. You will find that your awareness of any past unintegrated event diminishes and seemingly completely disappears when you are busy and engaged within life’s demands, (which may be why you engage yourself so actively in so many "doings"). However, as you try to go to sleep at night, or as you awake in the morning, its resonance of disquiet dutifully returns. This type of upset is ripe for the picking. Whatever is upsetting you, whether something happening right now, or something from the past that is still nagging at you, is a way in.

As you recall the upset of your choosing, instead of engaging in the mental aspect of the experience, or upon the physical actions you may be considering, place your attention fully on "the feeling" accompanying it. Take note of where this uncomfortable feeling is located as a physical sensation in your body. It does not matter what you call this uncomfortable feeling, whether it is fear, anger, and/or grief. Your only task is to feel it, and while feeling it, to simultaneously take note of where it is within your physical body. Whatever the uncomfortable emotional state is that accompanies the upset, it is also reflected as a physical sensation within your body. Your task is to place your attention within this physical sensation and to "cradle it". How? Momentarily bring to mind the image of The Madonna & Child: She is gently cradling the child in her arms; there is no movement within her posture, and no attempt to change or understand anything. Her only intention is to embrace the innocence contained within her arms. As you place your attention upon the uncomfortable feeling of this upset, cradle it in this manner; there is no physical movement required from your body, nor any mental participation in this practice other than using the mental body as a means to place and hold your attention fully within your physical body upon the sensational location of your emotional discomfort.

As you cradle the uncomfortable feeling with your attention, keep your eyes open. Yes, open. As you place your attention upon the feeling within, do not close your eyes and escape from the outer physical reality of the moment you are currently engaging. The eyes you place upon this inner discomfort, the eyes that have the capacity to "feel", are the eyes of the heart. While the eyes of the heart attend to this inner feeling, allow the eyes of the physical body to rest in stillness, open, gently embracing the presence of the outer world. Notice how, as you place the eyes of the heart on the inner feeling, you instinctively want to close your eyes and disappear. This is the old habit of "mentally running away" which has often been disguised as "a spiritual practice". Do not leave, do not fly off, stay here.

Now, if you choose to, place this piece of writing down, and enter this practice for a few minutes. Pay attention to the inner and outer experience it initiates. Here are the instructions for brief review:

Remember the most recent occasion in which you felt upset.

As you recall the upset, instead of engaging your attention in the mental aspect of the experience, or in the physical actions you are considering taking, place your attention fully on the accompanying feeling. take note of where this feeling is located as a physical sensation in your body. Cradle this feeling in that location.

As you cradle the uncomfortable feeling with your attention, keep your eyes open. Simultaneously watch both the inner feeling and the outer world.

Do not be concerned if you struggle to keep your attention hooked onto the feeling aspect of the recalled upset. Remember that the eyes of the heart are weak because we live upon a planet that does not consciously develop them or appreciate what they are able to show us. The eyes of the heart develop organically through our consistent use of them.

When approaching an upset consciously in this manner, by placing our full attention on the felt-aspect of the experience, instead of escaping into mental activity or any physical behavior the mental plane encourages, we notice almost immediate occurrences:

We begin feeling more grounded into our life experience. This is because these uncomfortable feelings lead us directly into an awareness of the shadow we run away from, and by consciously drawing the shadow towards us, we approach the runway of reality. Approaching the experience of "being grounded" may be so unfamiliar to us, that as we consciously engage our landing gear, we experience a sense of anxiety. It is a bit like the moment just before a plane’s wheels impact the runway; there is a sense of "holding on" or "holding back". However, the moment we allow ourselves to relax into the uncomfortable felt-resonance within the upset we are recalling, we gradually come down to earth and appreciate the groundedness initiated by the experience. This grounding causes a sense of relief, just like the moment after touching down on the runway and knowing we are once again safely upon the earth.

Once we are grounded into the physical location of the feeling within our body, we notice that an energetic movement begins within this sensation. The actual sensation through which the uncomfortable emotional state is anchored into our physical body, which has been stuck or blocked, starts transforming. It transforms because our awareness is our tool of transformation. Often this inner movement is experienced as an upward rise of energy through our chest area and up into our head which may culminate in tearing up. Yes, as we sink down into it, it rises up! Who would have thought?

outwardly, we also notice that the more grounded into the inner feeling we become, the more alive, vital, and animated the world around us becomes. Our experience of being here upon earth ceases to appear as a flat inanimate encounter, but instead takes on a textured hue, an energetic aura. This is because we, through consciously grounding ourselves, arrive more fully into the present moment of our current experience. Only when we allow ourselves to engage fully with the moment we are in now do we real eyes how heavenly this earthly experience is.

GARDENING OUR HEART

It is up to us to give ourselves the experience of the consequences of consciously gardening our heart. If we require "understanding" before we are willing to take on this responsibility, it is only because we are trying to comprehend what is being offered here from our seat within the maze of the mental plane.

The heart cannot be understood; it can only be engaged. Only when we engage our heart do we enter a marriage made in heaven.

The following simple practice, when engaged consistently, shows us, through personal experience, that it is the garden of the heart from which all the fruits of a joyful, healthy, and abundant life experience are seeded, cultivated, and harvested. It is also from within the garden of the heart that we consciously awaken to the experience of the conscious death that fruits eternal rebirth. By tending to the garden of the heart consistently each day, we experience the miraculous. It reveals to us what it really means to "love and take care of ourselves"; to stand by ourselves no matter what. To initiate this encounter with the heart it is recommended we tend to our garden for a few minutes at the beginning and the end of each day, and also in the midst of any unexpected upset. This is how simple it is:

We sit comfortably in a quiet place where we will not be interrupted. (If we truly seek to be authentic when entering this practice, we switch our cell phone to "off". Otherwise, we are just doing this because nothing else is currently stealing our attention.)

We recall an upset, whether it is something that happened recently, or something currently festering within our physical, mental, and emotional experience.

We drop the story and the details of the physical events surrounding it, and instead place our attention fully on "how we feel about it".

Where seek out where we feel this discomfort within our body? We place our attention within this location and "cradle it".

While keeping the eyes of our heart upon the uncomfortable feeling within our body, we simultaneously keep our physical eyes open, and in a relaxed manner, we observe the world before us.

We observe how the inner feeling moves, and how, as it does, the outer world simultaneously increases in presence.

When we stray off into the mental again, we gently bring our attention back into the inner feeling within our body and simultaneously upon the presence of the outer world.

We cradle this experience for as long as we feel necessary.

NOTE: If we do not have an upset to consciously work with, we enter the practice by consciously placing our attention within the center of our chest and hold it there, following the above instructions, until we feel complete. The practice of consistently placing of our attention within the center of our chest is equally powerful in initiating "the death experience" that invites the blessing of rebirth within all unintegrated aspects of our life experience.

Eventually, through this practice, we discover that the feelings of discomfort underlying our unintegrated upsets are gradually integrated and replaced by stillness, silence, and a sense of balance and peace within our heart. Over time these feelings of balance and peace organically radiate into our thoughts and are reflected back through our outer physical circumstances.

As a consequence of daily and consistently facing our shadow and grounding ourselves through it, we begin also decreasing our addiction to escaping into the mental plane as a means to initiate a change in the quality of our life experience. We discover, when consistently attending to the garden of the heart in this way, by watering, weeding, and fertilizing it with our cradled attention, that it gradually lifts unnoticed veils and reveals the depth of the immensity of the life experience available to us all in each moment. By attending to the heart in this manner, the teachings we receive internally through revelation free us of "following others", of wandering through endless conceptual spiritual mazes, and of "the seekers seemingly unscratchable itch". This practice gradually frees us of "spiritual delusion", or "the spiritual disease", as Adyashanti aptly calls it.

As we become familiar with "the death experience", and surrender to the companionship of its divine presence within the ever-changing currents of our life, we are reborn, again, and again, and again. This rebirthing nourishes a deepening awareness of what it means "to live fully within the radiance of the present moment".

Entering life more fully, by consciously and consistently entering the heart, really is this simple. However, to fully receive the revelation of the simple teaching shared here, requires experientially entering "the heart of the matter" as a way of being in this world and not as "something we need to do, and get over with, so that we can get on with something else". This teaching and the consequences it initiates is the Dharma of The Sacred Heart.

"It’s not about feeling better – it’s about getting better at feeling."

http://community.livingunbound.net/index.php?/topic/472-working-with-emotions/

• Like 1

I think we are missing the point, Daelium I'll address yours first.

I am not talking about violence, or action in any way shape or form, or necessarily hate for a *person* but hatred in general.

I'm saying in its most passive form, can hate possible cause us to gain a better understanding of something and why it is a bad thing in our perception

Perhaps I've just grown tired, but as it stands now, I have no interest in pursuing or feeding hate or its cousin anger.  Too often, they both lead to ugly actions in the name of 'justified' reactions.  That word, justified, is perhaps, even more disgusting to me than hate and by far it's the most terrifying to me these days, for under its guise, the most abhorrent actions of hatred are deemed, not only acceptable, but 'necessary' in many cases and in the end, I find it impossible to distinguish the 'justified retaliatory acts' from the original acts upon which they are focused.

In the end, actions taken or not, I have come to really watch hatred and anger closely, for this about hatred rings truer for me than anything else... "take care what you allow yourself to hate, for you will come to emulate it".  Matters not if it be just in the mind, or in the realm of action/reaction.  Also, just because I thought something and felt strongly about it, doesn't make it real, true, or even important... I don't believe everything I think and don't take the world so personally any longer, much to my benefit and that of those near me.

I spend what energy I possess and cultivate on stuff I love, rather than things I find abhorrent. Life is too short to take personally.

Life is hard enough without feeding the nastiness.

• Like 6

True but you're seriously missing the point I think (no disrespect intended) what I am saying is not a personal offended hatred...but tell me honestly, if you see something before your very eyes that is abhorrent and abject..you just let it go? Let it happen? Cultivate on it? We must find some logic and some rationale in taking action against vulgarity?

• Like 1

Obviously we should strive to end war, and violence etc etc and through a non violent means...but in the heat of the moment, in the "circumstance" that lies right before you in a split second, you cannot possibly justify tolerating evil for the sake of "not becoming too emotional" or not "feeding the nastiness?"

• Like 1

Hate is on the same coin as fear.

Even if it is on the flip side of that same coin.

There is no connection with love at all.

In which case, you need to look into the fear of yours and rid yourself of that, or come to terms with that.

Your Hate will disappear or be transmogrified into indifference, which will be the same.

Idioitc Taoist caught in between hate and fear

Edited by shanlung
  • Like 3

There is a connection with love! They are so intimately close together! Love turns to hate, hate to love, white to black and black to white, faith to doubt and doubt to faith. 

You're still avoiding the question of the original post shanlung...CAN it be healthy and CAN it be productive in the right context?

• Like 1

I am going to respond before reading any of the responses so that I am not influenced by anything anyone has said.

Can hate be healthy?

No.

Hate is a natural emotion, the counteremotion to Love,

I agree with you.  Hate is a natural emotion.  But if we hold it inside we will never have inner peace.

...but we should tolerate evil?

No.  We should eliminate it whenever possible; from our self and from others.

We know the difference between right and wrong...but we all know that is subjective and right and wrong does vary

Very true.

...but if someone absolutely brings the utter emotion of hatred out of you, because of the way they act towards you, should you feel ashamed, or no?

No, not ashamed.  But it is an indicator that we have more work to do.

After all..it IS natural. 

Yep.  Release it as quickly as possible or better still, avoid it if at all possible.

Now I will go read the other posts.

• Like 4

I am going to respond before reading any of the responses so that I am not influenced by anything anyone has said.

No.

I agree with you.  Hate is a natural emotion.  But if we hold it inside we will never have inner peace.

No.  We should eliminate it whenever possible; from our self and from others.

Very true.

No, not ashamed.  But it is an indicator that we have more work to do.

Yep.  Release it as quickly as possible or better still, avoid it if at all possible.

Now I will go read the other posts.

Thanks Marblhead,

Anger,hatred,reprisals,etc,are all substance of poison,that is why we should avoid such.

• Like 2

There is a connection with love! They are so intimately close together! Love turns to hate, hate to love, white to black and black to white, faith to doubt and doubt to faith. 

You're still avoiding the question of the original post shanlung...CAN it be healthy and CAN it be productive in the right context?

Hate to me is transient at best.

So if that is not long lasting, any impact will be brief.  

Unless you chose to keep focusing on that.

Just like a pimple with pus, after you pop that, you get on with life and enjoying what is left of life and not dwell on it after that.

Taoistic Idiot with   no pimple with pus to  pop (no blackhead either)

• Like 3

I think we are missing the point, Daelium

Who?

I'll address yours first.

I am not talking about violence, or action in any way shape or form, or necessarily hate for a *person* but hatred in general.

Wikipedia has a whole page dedicated to the subject of hatred.

I found this particularly interesting:

Although it is fair to say that one single emotion exists in English, French (haine), and German (Hass), hate varies in the forms in which it is manifested. A certain relationless hatred is expressed in the French expression J'ai la haine, which has no equivalent in English. While for English-speakers, loving and hating invariably involve an object, or a person, and therefore, a relationship with something or someone, J'ai la haine (literally, I have hate) precludes the idea of an emotion directed at a person. This is a form of frustration, apathy and animosity which churns within the subject but establishes no relationship with the world, other than an aimless desire for destruction.

The idea I am relating here is that even when hatred is directed at no person, it is inherently embodied in the desire for destruction, and thus violence.

I'm saying in its most passive form, can hate possible cause us to gain a better understanding of something and why it is a bad thing in our perception

I am saying that when such a feeling occurs, I acknowledge it and move on - I do my best to avoid attaching to it, and if some of it remains within, I do my best to cleanse myself of it over time.

Why?

Because even if it never finds an external expression, and thus never acts to destroy something else, it remains a destructive force within. This destructive force within, even in its most passive form, is an attachment of energies that blocks and restricts the flow of healthy energetic circulation. It is encapsulated energies like this, which when we hold onto them for a while, develop into things like ulcers and cancers. Thus by holding onto things like hatred, we do violence to ourselves.

• Like 2

In the middle, between and before attachment to the extremes of myriad polarizations and their inevitable vacillations, lies the path of harmony and peace.

You seem to be looking only for one answer. What's the point? Everything is right or wrong from some perspective. All you need to do, should you want something to be true, is to shift your perspective enough to see it as right. I won't tell you you're wrong... there's no point.

What does your heart tell you? Trouble is, when we look for our hearts, we often get caught up in the ego we've built to protect our hearts... and somehow that ego comes to hide the true shape of our hearts behind it, locked away. When we're able to uncover the heart again, that is where we find our answers. But please, don't take my word for it.

• Like 2

Hi Metal Tao,

Interesting handle. Metal is the element that´s sharp, cutting. Metal is the element associated with the lungs and large intestines, the organs of elimination. Not too be vulgar, but metal is the element that says, in effect, let´s cut the shit.

And that seems to be exactly what you´d like to do. Yes, there are things that are abhorrent and awful in this world and we´d do well to get rid of them. Is hate helpful in that end? Perhaps initially in that it helps us to recognize that which we consider hateful.

But ultimately holding onto hate hurts us. It´s possible to forcefully take a stand against terrible things without personally getting caught up in the destructive energy of hate. Tricky, but possible -- and a skill that´s worth cultivating.

Which is not to say that we should deny our feelings of hate. Or feel ashamed of them. Most of us have some hate, and it´s good to be aware. Good to let ourselves know what it is we actually do feel. But once we are aware we can let go. It´s a balance, allowing oneself to feel without indulging in and feeding feelings that aren´t useful.

Liminal

• Like 1

But you could always pop-a-top of beer.

I'll join you in a toast.

True but you're seriously missing the point I think (no disrespect intended) what I am saying is not a personal offended hatred...but tell me honestly, if you see something before your very eyes that is abhorrent and abject..you just let it go? Let it happen? Cultivate on it? We must find some logic and some rationale in taking action against vulgarity?

No disrespect taken mate... it's a good topic and a great question and in the end I didn't actually answer your question because as I perceive it, the only one who can answer for you if hatred has a use, is you.  I can't conceive of knowing how and what contains meaning in the context of anyone's perspective.  However, as I've spent a good amount of time in anger and rage in my younger life, I just shared my current view as I have come to find real, practical benefit to the quality of my daily life from it.

When confronted with a rabid dog, I will isolate that dog and ensure that within my abilities, I will not allow that dog to cause damage.  I will isolate, but once this is accomplished, I have no interest in increasing the suffering of the being isolated.  There is no hate, no desire to punish.  I react as necessary in a bad situation, but have no interest in increasing the suffering of any involved.  I'd rather spend my awareness on love and healing.

There was a person I used to work with/for, who engendered a lot of malice and hate from many who worked under him, or along side him over the years.  I remember one day, someone asking me, after a particularly vile interchange if I wanted to smash his face in, or if we should go slash his tires.  My response was 'I'd rather go out for a beer with you and talk about that book you were reading on the nature of consciousness (which was The Origin of Consciousness by Julian James, highly recommended!)... as for him... I can't think of any punishment I could heap on him, that would be more painful than for him to wake up tomorrow and continue to be himself'.  My buddy laughed and that was it, we went out for beers.  I could have brooded and festered, but any more, to me that is more akin to emotional masturbation/addictive thought loops. 

I don't, won't and, can't abide violence, or abusive behavior to exist in my space, when confronted with violent ignorance, there is no choice for me, I just find myself acting when these things crop up.  Yet, when I act, either in word, usually, or deed, when required, it is not fueled by hate, nor is hate involved in any way... instead, my feeling in the moment I would describe as a deep repulsion at the situation, then upon review later, a sense of sadness at the state of the situation. 

Hate isn't something that I feel in the moment.  In my experience hate needs to be fed, usually in deep, obsessive brooding about a specific event, or a perceived slight after the event has receded.  Hate in my experience, must be fed and its source is actually me, not the event.  By the time I am experiencing hate, the event is no longer occurring.   

Verse 31 of the Tao speaks to it effectively.  This is from my haiku adaptation of the Tao.

Weapons: tools of pain,

used for violence and fear,

decent men abhor.

Yet in direst need

and if compelled, will use them,

with utmost restraint.

Peace.  Highest Value.

When the peace has been shattered

who can be content?

Glory in fighting?

Those who delight in killing

do not know true self.

Your foes not demons.

Simple beings like yourself.

Sage desires no harm.

No victory dance.

Victory by force?  No joy.

How rejoice in pain?

Sage battles gravely,

with sorrow and compassion,

like tending a grave.

I used to spend much of my daily life, raging at all that was wrong with the world. 

Now I spend much of my life loving whatever I can find within reach.

I don't hide my head in the sand.  But I no longer get off on the perpetual, masturbatory cycle of feeding anger and fear.

• Like 3

AussieTrees true...but there has to be some value of hate, for after all...isn't everything in this beautiful cosmos of SOME value no matter how small? Or it wouldn't be here...

Silent Thunder, thank you! I love to ask questions, all of the questions! Lol...

Erm, might I say I love your response but let me put this forward.

Hate I don't think necessarily has to be fed, I think there's a certain type of hate that's instant, comes in an instant and can go in and instant. 

Yes, I am the type of person reflected by liminal_luke's post...I am very sharp, in all honesty I'm goofy and fun to be around but when my temper is set off, it's set off badly...especially if dealing with something I find abhorrent, hypocrisy, vulgarity..etc

I thought it was very interesting because I clashed with another manager at work today, became extremely vehement with one another, and normally in that state of mind as my brain processes the anger and lets it filter out I find myself (maybe just in the short term) being more focused and productive.

Granted..at MY place of work I am always forced to be the bad guy..someone has to ensure things get done I guess...lol