Anzhi

Ta Chuan The Great Treatise translations?

Greetings. I am seeking further translations of the Ta Chuan.
I have Richard Wilhelm's translation. I am aware of Stepehen Karcher's translation and commentary. I think that is only available from Amazon, unless anyone knows elsewhere? And I am wondering if anyone knows of other translations of the Ta Chuan?

Thank you for any assistance or direction. _/\_

Edited by Anzhi
  • Like 2

Richard John Lynn's book, Changes, has been put on the net as both an HTML copy and a PDF. I'm not sure of the legality of those versions though.

There's also James Legge's translation, which is in the public domain now. Just Google James Legge. You'll find a heap of sites to download his book in HTML, PDF or text. I quite enjoy his works, as he adds copious notes to the texts. 

Christian Freeling and Ed van Zon have a version at http://www.mindsports.nl/index.php/i-ching-connexion/appendices which also includes the Shuo Kua and Hsu Kua.

There's bound to be plenty more out there.

• Like 5

Some things I've learned since reading this thread:

Ta Chuan and (pinyin) Da Zhuan mean the "Great Treatise" or "Great Commentary" (zhuan), and this commentary is actually comprised of two commentaries in what are known as the Ten Wings. In particular these are wings 5 and 6, which are known as Xici Zhuan part 1 part 2, Xici Zhuan being "Commentary on the Appended Phrases", which were given the name "Great Commentary" to denote their importance.

The above helped me to realize where the Da Zhuan translation can be found in Richard John Lynn's excellent book / translation of Wang Bi's commentary on the YiJing.

I believe Wilhelm is still the only one to translate the entirety of the Ten Wings.

One might also find some valuable threads discussing the "Ta Chuan" over on the online clarity I Ching forums. There is one where a member was going to discuss Jin Jing Fang's commentary on the Da Zhuan, which makes me interested in this commentary... alas this doesn't appear to be translated and this discussion took place on Second Life. :huh: And another where someone typed out the entire Wilhelm Da Zhuan translation and members commented on it along the way.... that was 31 pages long... and now can't seem to find the link.

• Like 5

Here's the link to the OnlineClarity Ta Chuan thread, Daeluin.

http://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/friends/showthread.php?10469-Ta-Chuan-The-Great-Treatise

When I got my copy of Lynn's book I went through my copies of Wilhelm and Legge and wrote out the different translations used for the various Chinese terms and where they were in each book. It made understanding some parts of the works a little easier.

And you're welcome, Anzhi.

• Like 4

I believe Wilhelm is still the only one to translate the entirety of the Ten Wings.

Looks like Richard Rutt also did a complete translation of the Ten Wings that is somewhat well regarded. Here's a review.

• Like 3

I've just come across a translation of this (these) particular wing(s) by Douglas A. White. At first glance it seemed new agish but after I read up on the author I managed to see past the few nontraditional aspects of his writing. His Great Treatise comes in two parts. Its a translation and an amazing commentary as well. I've only just scanned through it but I'll definitely be spending some time with it over the next week. Here are the links.

He also has a translation of the Describing the Trigrams (Wilhelm's Shuo Kua or Discussion of the Trigrams)

And here's a couple of links to a couple of journal articles about the Great Commentary, Xici Zhuan, Ta Chuan, Great Appendix or what have you. They have sections of the text as translated, I think, by the authors. 

The Great Commentary (Dazhuan 大傳) and Chinese natural cosmology by Roger T. Ames. (Click on the Download PDF link)

The Writing of the Xici Zhuan and the Making of the Yijing by Ed Shaughnessy

Daeluin,  I'm happy to see the price of Rutt's book slowly coming down. It's one I'm interested in owning one day.

• Like 2

Thank you Shidifen and Daelun for your most helpful further additions. Pardon my lateness of response. I have been wandering. _/\_ In the meantime I did procure a copy of Karcher. It was second hand and smelt like it was from ancient China. :) Nevertheless it reads well.