nightwatchdog

Buddha speaks!

Couldn't think of a koan so I googled one:

Zen master Ummon asked: `The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?'

`The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?'

"To get my Tea"

I propose a rule change because I have no faith in my own answers and a bit embarrassed :)

When I read other answers they just "seem right" When I try to think through my answers, it's not right. So I'm going with my immediate response to the question. And I like this one, even though I want to change it to "to get my Food" I'm still pretty happy.

But others will have a better answer and I like to read them. Perhaps we should all have a go and try a new one only once the response die away ??

Also

"You're screwed and about to die. The asker isn't you and they're not making a flippant remark like 'have a nice trip'. They're a master trying to give you a last chance to settle your mind and see truth"

I love that analysis, I always had trouble with the hanging from you teeth type of question because I can't get past the answer of "Grab hold of the tree" re-framing in that way Freedom is a beautiful answer.

Koans are an intersting exercise. For some, they are an invitation to drop the "I" mind, for others they are a chance to explore it. It's dosen't matter what you answer, it's the act of sitting with it, and applying the "Nomind" to the problem that matters. Better answer correctly.

KOAN: If you answer this koan with your "I" mind, your answer will earn you 30 lashes. If you answer with the "Nomind" your answer earns you 30 lashes. If you do not answer at all, you recieve 30 lashes. How do you answer?

KOAN: If you answer this koan with your "I" mind, your answer will earn you 30 lashes. If you answer with the "Nomind" your answer earns you 30 lashes. If you do not answer at all, you recieve 30 lashes. How do you answer?

HELLO.... HELLO.... ELLO..... ELLO.... OOOO.... OOO.... OO.....

:)

Seijo's Two Souls

Chokan had a very beautiful daughter named Seijo. He also had a handsome young cousin named Ochu. Joking, he would often comment that they would make a fine married couple. Actually, he planned to give his daughter in marriage to another man. But young Seijo and Ochu took him seriously; they fell in love and thought themselves engaged. One day Chokan announced Seijo's betrothal to the other man. In rage and despair, Ochu left by boat. After several days journey, much to his astonishment and joy he discovered that Seijo was on the boat with him!

They went to a nearby city where they lived for several years and had two children. But Seijo could not forget her father; so Ochu decided to go back with her and ask the father's forgiveness and blessing. When they arrived, he left Seijo on the boat and went to the father's house. he humbly apologized to the father for taking his daughter away and asked forgiveness for them both.

"What is the meaning of all this madness?" the father exclaimed. Then he related that after Ochu had left, many years ago, his daughter Seijo had fallen ill and had lain comatose in bed since. Ochu assured him that he was mistaken, and, in proof, he brought Seijo from the boat. When she entered, the Seijo lying ill in bed rose to meet her, and the two became one.

Zen Master Goso, referrring to the legend, observed, "Seijo had two souls, one always sick at home and the other in the city, a married woman with two children. Which was the true soul?"

:)

Zen Master Goso, referrring to the legend, observed, "Seijo had two souls, one always sick at home and the other in the city, a married woman with two children. Which was the true soul?"

The one that observed these events from Amitaba's Land of Pure Bliss and laughed its head off.

Koan:

Three Tibetan monks woke up early in the morning, walked outside, and saw that while they were sleeping, someone had raised an American flag on a pole in front of the monastery.

The three monks looked at the flag in silence for a long time.

Then one of them said, pensively, "The flag is moving."

The second monk shook his head and said, "The wind is moving."

What did the third monk say?

The one that observed these events from Amitaba's Land of Pure Bliss and laughed its head off.

Koan:

Three Tibetan monks woke up early in the morning, walked outside, and saw that while they were sleeping, someone had raised an American flag on a pole in front of the monastery.

The three monks looked at the flag in silence for a long time.

Then one of them said, pensively, "The flag is moving."

The second monk shook his head and said, "The wind is moving."

What did the third monk say?

Your mind is moving!

Your mind is moving!

And the third monk, who wasn't a monk yet, was the Sixth Patriarch Hui Neng. He was already the Patriarch, but not a left home person at that time. It was after that incident that the head master of the temple came out and met with Hui Neng. THen they prepared his leaving the home life, and shaved his head.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

There was a book - probably still is - called something like - One Hundred Koans and their Answers.

But it's not like that. Any answers are from within stopping the mind.

All these koans and their intellectual answers - from the mind are worthless and only ego games.

So when we say your mind was moving and not the wind or the flag maybe we feel smarter but

what have we experienced. Mental masturbation is all. :P

An enlightened layman lets go and shouts 'FREEDOM'

An enlightened monk lets go and says freedom quietly

an enlightened master lets go and doesn't say anything

:D

or if he does kunlun, he flies away

Edited by mikaelz

When is "work" not a four-letter word?
When you've been unemployed for 3 years.

What is the difference between your pain face and O face?

"My friend said the answer is Mu. Hah! I answered w/ Friends mind!"

answers probably good for about 60 lashes, but it would be worth it. B)

M.

What is the difference between your pain face and O face?

Just shove the answer up your ass until there is no difference!

How do you give you a foot massage to a ghost limb?

Edited by Peregrino

There was a book - probably still is - called something like - One Hundred Koans and their Answers.

But it's not like that. Any answers are from within stopping the mind.

All these koans and their intellectual answers - from the mind are worthless and only ego games.

So when we say your mind was moving and not the wind or the flag maybe we feel smarter but

what have we experienced. Mental masturbation is all. :P

Nothing like floggin your noggin ;)

How do you give you a foot massage to a ghost limb?
How do you fvck a ghost pussy in your wet dreams?

If:

2 X 0 = 0

2 X ∞ (infinity) = ∞ (infinity)

Does 0 = ∞ ?

Koan:

Make me hear the sound of a distant bell that isn't ringing.

Huffing and puffing. I struggle onward. Searching in the dark. Upwards, ever towards the summit. At last! I grasp it just as the morning sun dawns. It's golden warmth fills me, chasing the chill of night from my body as I gaze out at the world anew. The mornings silence suddenly split by the peal of a bell that is not rung.......Did you hear it?

Huffing and puffing. I struggle onward. Searching in the dark. Upwards, ever towards the summit. At last! I grasp it just as the morning sun dawns. It's golden warmth fills me, chasing the chill of night from my body as I gaze out at the world anew. The mornings silence suddenly split by the peal of a bell that is not rung.......Did you hear it?

Mu. :)

According to Suzuki, the student who was presented with this koan grabbed a stick, whacked the master on the head --

and instantly became enlightened, while the master was nursing his head filled with the loudest booming of the bell that wasn't ringing.

Mu. :)

According to Suzuki, the student who was presented with this koan grabbed a stick, whacked the master on the head --

and instantly became enlightened, while the master was nursing his head filled with the loudest booming of the bell that wasn't ringing.

hahahha

im starting to like zen

Can you see your shadow in the dark?

At night I embrace my shadow

remember it is a part of me

and become one with it.

Michael

When is a man is truest to his original nature?

At night I embrace my shadow

remember it is a part of me

and become one with it.

Michael

When is a man is truest to his original nature?

When his observation of original nature is no more.

Where lies the source and power of a word?

Edited by Stigweard