Sign in to follow this  
Lois

In the United States set the lunar scam fat point!

I always thought this list of objects we've left on the moon is cool. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artificial_objects_on_the_Moon

" List of artificial objects on the Moon is a partial listing of artificial materials on the Lunar surface. The table below does not separately list small items such as retroreflectors, Apollo Lunar Surface Experiment Packages, or the commemorative and personal objects left there by Apollo astronauts, such as the golf balls from Alan Shepard's lunar driving practice during Apollo 14, flags, Alan Bean's silver astronaut pin, or the Fallen Astronaut statuette left by the crew of Apollo 15.

The remains of five S-IVB third stages of Saturn V rockets from the Apollo program are the heaviest single pieces sent to the Lunar surface. Humans have left over 187,400 kilograms (413,100 lb) of material on the Moon, and 380 kilograms (838 lb) of Moon rock was brought back to Earth by Apollo and Luna missions. The only artificial objects on the Moon that are still in use are the retroreflectors for the lunar laser ranging experiments left there by the Apollo 11, 14, and 15 astronauts and by the Lunokhod 1 and Lunokhod 2 missions.[1]

Objects at greater than 90 degrees east or west are on the far side of the Moon, including Ranger 4, Lunar Orbiter 1, Lunar Orbiter 2, and Lunar Orbiter 3..."

There have been satellites that circle the moon and have pictures of the landing sites:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/news/apollo-sites.html

Well, whether that article was true or not is not important at all. There are more serious issues in our society that needs solutions. 

A lot of people in europe think that we (americans) didnt go to the moon. I myself am skeptical. Why dont we have any bases?

The short answer is, its very, very, very expensive and a bit dangerous but mostly expensive.  Its hard to justify the price.  We tend to get more benefits out of the International Space Station (249 miles versus 250,000).   That costs roughly $150 Billion, setting up a Moon base 1,000 times farther in a gravity well would be many many many times more expensive.  

Also there's a sense of been there, done that.  We've landed on the moon 6 times, mapped it, put up satellites around it, gotten rocks, played golf, taken pictures.. serious science we can do with the International Space Station.  I wouldn't be surprised if some country (China, Russia, India, Europe Union) landed people on the moon in the next 15 years but a moon base, there is prestige in doing so, but not too much real science, and its expensive. 

A big problem isn't just getting things to the moon, its getting off the moon.   Even though the gravity is just 1/6  of Earth, vehicles tend run out of juice getting there.  Thus having to leave half the craft (& weight) on the moon and do a hail Mary to blast away from the Moon's atmosphere. 

P.S there is a show at the Adler Planetarium called The Last man on the Moon, a documentary on Apollo 17 and the men and engineer who did it.  Might be worth watching.  http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/events/last-man-moon-film-screening-12-12-15-12-19-15-2015-12-12/?utm_source=exacttarget&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=12.10.15%20December%20Member%20News  If any of you are in Chicago, I'm a member and can get people in for free.

A lot of people in europe think that we (americans) didnt go to the moon. I myself am skeptical. Why dont we have any bases?

Because it would make a home run waaaaaaay to far  back to home base . 

Sign in to follow this