MooNiNite

The Significance of Thank You

The phrase, no.

The choice to experience complete thankfulness is always available, and also always it's own best reward.

When one is choosing to appreciate what is, one is choosing to show kindness to the self.

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

• Like 1

Yeah, well, "Thank You" for participating in the discussion; "Thank You" for posting a well thought-out comment; "Thank You" for saying something I agree with.

Before "Thank You" transmutated from "Like" I always wanted a "Don't Like" button.  And now I would like to have a "No Thank You" button.

But in the most part we members prefer to talk about positives rather than negatives.

So, in this dualistic world, I can either click on "Thank You", do nothing, or make comment to a previous post.

Dawei once pointed out that he noticed that I use the "Thank You" button the same way I had been using the "Like" button.

And it is a good alternative to having to say something.

• Like 1

"Thank You"

Does anyone think that this phrase has some significance and should not be thrown around haphazardly?

It has much significance.  Nicely ties in with gratitude and politeness.  I think it should be thrown about more often and with sincerity.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.  I realize there are many posts and a near infinite number of things you could doing right now and the fact you've taken part of your day, time you will never get back, allowed the very telomeres which measure out your lifespan to break down ever so much, quickening the time of your inevitable death and the eternal extinction of everything you have and hold dear to read instead of finding a soul fulfilling activity to add a temporary measure of meaning to the brief match stick of flame which is our lives.

• Like 3

In one of Her on-the-side forays into linguistics, ayahuasca taught me to say "I'm grateful" instead of "I'm sorry."  You are not 'sorry,' She insisted.  You did or said something unproductive, unfair, or erroneous -- and then the miracle of comprehension happened and you realized you shouldn't have done or said that, and perhaps next time you won't.  For this miracle of self-reflection and self-correction that you are able to perform, you should be grateful.  Say it.   

I'm grateful I'm late, this way I've learned how much time I really need to get to this place, and won't keep you waiting the next time.  I'm grateful I stepped on your toe, this has shown me that it's a bad idea to step backward without looking in a narrow isle, and I'm grateful I won't step on a little child's toe this way, now that I'm aware.  I'm grateful I broke my promise to you, now I know how careless I can be, I had no idea that I can be this flaky, well now I know, now I can do something about it.  I'm grateful I told you "you're just like your father," I had no idea you would get so angry on hearing that because you work so hard on not being like your father -- now I know and I really admire this determination in you.  And so on.  Does it make sense to anyone? :)

• Like 1

Yes, "I'm sorry" is a greatly misused term.  If you are really sorry you wouldn't have done that whatever in the first place.

"Thank you for the lesson" seems much better (to me).

• Like 1

Thank you, at its best, reflects my gratitude for you (what you are, what you have done). 

Like most expressions it can and is used for much more; thank you is especially susceptible to being a social formalism with little emotional content. I don't think that anything can or should be done about it.... it is just how people are with words and lack of heart.

"I'm sorry", equally, may or may not be expressed in an authentic way. Why blame the words when people have neither the insight or coherence to put things together? However, "Thank you" correctly passes the focus of my thought to the person with whom I am communicating. "I'm sorry" has several linguistic catches. Presumably, Ayahuasca wished to reveal you to you and make sure that you did not attribute this state to yourself. If you had been saying "I have sorry" ... it would mean that you were, at best, in self-pity when you have wronged someone. To keep one kind of symmetry between these two phrases I might replace "I am sorry" with "I give you my remorse" (my wish that the wrong I have done you can be redressed). "

I am really sorry, quite often. If for no other reason that I regret various actions, inactions and circumstances. 

>> If you are really sorry you wouldn't have done that....

If I were really wise I would definitely be someone else!!!!! However, I also say sorry when I do something that disadvantages another even when I think it is, on balance, the right thing to do. I say sorry to the fish I kill to eat. I doubt it lives up to the expectations and aspirations of the fish, but to express remorse is better than to ignore it. 

I am sorry (really, descriptively) and I offer my remorse for having nattered on when I should only be thanking all of you for your posts. Thank you.

Gratitude is a default position of human being.

We are given everything free - how can we not appreciate?

Heaven and earth are producing us constantly.

Apetite without gratitude is blindness.

Modern living disregards this and has become a madhouse.

By design.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1