Li Xiao Yao

Plz Recommend Books on the Introduction to Daoism

Could someone recommend me some books on the introduction to Daoism.

Both English and Chinese would be fine thanks

Also on another thread  about misconceptions it says books like the Tao of Pooh is western new age Taoism and is not accurate is this true?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hello and welcome.

Thank you for the detailed introduction. You are accepted and we are glad to have you as a member.

I am sure that you will receive ample advice regarding books to act as an introduction to the Dao. May I suggest Chronicles of Tao by Den Ming-Dao http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chronicles-Tao-Deng-Ming-Dao/dp/0062502190/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

It will serve as an introduction and is also a good read.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Chang and the TTB team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Like 1

Could someone recommend me some books on the introduction to Daoism.

Both English and Chinese would be fine thanks

Also on another thread  about misconceptions it says books like the Tao of Pooh is western new age Taoism and is not accurate is this true?

Thanks

I liked that book a lot. The second one was too cynical for me, though. You'll always find fundamentalists labelling in some negative way everything that doesn't fit their experience. Don't let them ruin your own experience, I say. Read a book and come to your own conclusions.

• Like 2

I wasn't a fan of Tao of Pooh, a little too much pop culture.  For beginners I like Daniel Reids books.  But as Soaring Crane says, different books connect to different people.  The Dao Bums has some great resources for books like the 'Daoist Textual Studies' section is all about analyzing the classics. 

Another resource with over 20 pages and 300 posts is 'What are you reading right now?  http://thedaobums.com/topic/24167-what-are-you-reading-right-now/?p=348229 .  The whole subsection called Group Studies has good leads and some indepth reviews of famous books. 

Finally the 'Which books sit on your nightstand' is filled with recommendations- http://thedaobums.com/topic/37153-which-books-sit-on-your-nightstand/?p=598284

Welcome to the bums, enjoy. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

I have to look at my other computer for small write ups or links.. but these are on my book self as something to read:

1. Chinese Philosophy on Life - Wang Keping 

At Amazon

2. The Dao Speaks Volume 1 and 2 - Brian Bruya

At Amazon:  Volume 1 ;  Volume 2

Hi, I recommend Wen-Tzu

Understanding the Mysteries

Further Teachings of Lao-tzu

Translated by Thomas Cleary

I find that in reading it some or perhaps a lot of meditation helps as it is so 

far removed from what our world has become.  Best of luck to you.