Marblehead

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Even to those who live where it is not celebrated.

Here in the States anymore it has become the day before the BIG Christmas shopping day.

Yeah, we give thanks to the Native Americans for being so naive and not killing us as soon as we put foot on the ground.

• Like 5

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  Even to those who live where it is not celebrated.

Here in the States anymore it has become the day before the BIG Christmas shopping day.

Yeah, we give thanks to the Native Americans for being so naive and not killing us as soon as we put foot on the ground.

Thanks Marblehead,

Technology is what prevented your Native Americans from successful defence of their nation.

Similar to what occurred to the Native Australians,'shoot to kill' is hard to defend against using spears.

Both countries natives had learned to live in harmony with their lands for a eons.

The new invaders brought there diseases which decimated local populations.

We don't celebrate Thankgiving,although we have Australia Day celebrations,regarded as Invasion Day by our Native Australians.

I listened to a story told by an indigenous man,Ringing Bells,where new settlers would alert appointed Rangers by a system of Bells,whenever a group of aborigines were travelling within the area,the Rangers upon hearing these Bells,would mount up to greet them with extermination,many people were murdered,exterminated,there are few if any records of such events.

Best wishes for your celebrations.

• Like 3

My wife and I are doing Thanksgiving this year, first time in a good fifteen years or so. Our daughter (who is half-American, the half she got from me) wants to show her new boyfriend what it's all about. So, we bought a ton of original American products online, the "real" stuff like Stouffer's stuffing, Keebler pie crust, cranberries in the can, etc. (plus a six-kilo, organic turkey from a farm nearby).

About the holiday itself, meh. I really couldn't care less beyond the family get-together aspect, but do we really need a holiday to do that? I guess I'd take it a lot more seriously if Black Friday were banned.

• Like 3

A belated Happy thanksgiving from me too, and hoping yall and none of those close to you were injured shopping.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

After turkeys shot down a Russian plane I decided that Tanksgiving has to end.

• Like 2

Thanksgiving and Columbus Day continually remind me of just how much disconnection abides and they serve to push my sorrow into the foreground.  Ironically, this causes in me a reaction of less gratitude than I experience on the rest of the days.

The idea of a single day devoted to 'giving thanks', is as superficial and ridiculous to me as a month devoted to 'black history' or a day devoted to 'stopping violence against ________', or a march to raise awareness about ______ cancer/disease.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

I think thanksgiving is a great holiday, the very lack of reason behind having a single day to appreciate on, frees the day up to be like an old time feasting day, it doesn't have to serve any purpose. Its a very Taoist day , you eat , visit family , watch TV, or whatever you like to do, with some consecutive days off.   If I was going to be grumpy about a holiday it would be the next one on the plate. ( I say ,,Festivus is for the rest of us) :) 

• Like 2

Focused days can serve as a reminder and a teaser of what things could be like. Extremes can inspire us.

That is the upside. You can look at things from various perspectives and see truth.

I agree that the downside is the potential effect of making people be less virtuous on any other day.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

Wonder if anybody has written A Thanksgiving Carol?

I wonder what kind of ghosts would visit Scrooge? 

A Pilgrim, Squanto and ..  an irate historian?

• Like 2

For a moment there I thought you said pirate historian. (Who initially wanted to become a ninja, but the yarrrs went by and now the ship has sailed.)

• Like 2

For a moment there I thought you said pirate historian. (Who initially wanted to become a ninja, but the yarrrs went by and now the ship has sailed.)

Those ponies take some tolerance,horse meat for thankgiving sounds tasty.

• Like 1

@AussieTrees

How about human meat for Christmas?

(I hear the body of Christ is quite popular.)

• Like 2

Wonder if anybody has written A Thanksgiving Carol?

I wonder what kind of ghosts would visit Scrooge? 

A Pilgrim, Squanto and ..  an irate historian?

“  an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato. ” 

Dickens

• Like 2