Loveherbs

Where to begin? i want to learn your teachings.

i am very confused between qigong taichi jing chi qi shen wuji bla bla bla. I wanna learn about your teachings in a simple and systematic way. i have no teacher around so i will be learning about it from books alone. I am interested in spiritual section where you get nirvana/moksha. i am also a single guy so i would love to learn something which would help my celibacy. So all i wanna know is which book will help me in learning spiritual liberation and celibacy practice. 

Edited by Loveherbs

Well, if we do that, there won't be any of us left.

Which would make all of our traditions impossible, not to mention our lifetimes.

Is that what you're interested in?

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

In your tradition celibacy for lifetime seemed to be a possible thing. That's how i got interested.

Who's tradition are you referring to?

Celibacy is selfish, as I see it.

• Like 2

I've got a few books and texts that I like but my favourite one is

'The Way of Energy' - by Master Lam Kam Chuen

partly because I just love how well thought out and nicely its presented.

Edited by Miffymog

i am very confused between qigong taichi jing chi qi shen wuji bla bla bla. I wanna learn about your teachings in a simple and systematic way. i have no teacher around so i will be learning about it from books alone. I am interested in spiritual section where you get nirvana/moksha. i am also a single guy so i would love to learn something which would help my celibacy. So all i wanna know is which book will help me in learning spiritual liberation and celibacy practice. 

OK, where to start:

1. Your list of "bla bla bla" is comprised of taoist notions, however you proceed to say you're interested in nirvana/moksha which are Buddhist concepts.  We have a Buddhist section at this forum, you can probably inquire there about these. 

2. If you are single because you want to be celibate, joining a monastery is just about the only thing that will make it easier.  In any event, a realistic and sensible spiritual goal is to avoid promiscuity, not to abandon sex.  For this, you just need to find one person to love, and limit sexual interactions to this one person.  There was much experimenting in the course of history with "absorbing" this and that energy from the opposite sex -- Chinese emperors, e.g., had an unlimited supply of such opportunities (and a harem of 15,000 girls) but this never improved even one emperor's health nor prolonged his life (most were, on the contrary, quite sickly and extremely short-lived.)  Neither are monks and nuns famous for their longevity and health.  The healthiest and longest lived people, statistically speaking, are the ones who define their marriage as "happy," so this is one time-honored practice worth looking into.

3. No advice on Buddhism, but if you want to learn a bit about "bla bla bla" of taoism, I would recommend Eva Wong's "The Shambala Guide to Taoism."

• Like 9

Celibacy could well be considered selfish. It could also be seen in the light of rational self-interest.

Loveherbs asks in the OP where he can learn about spiritual liberation and celibacy. I would hesitate to offer advice on spiritual liberation but I may well advise that celibacy is something that is practiced not learned.

Keep it simple.  I like it. 

I'd you here toward Ajahn Brahms.  Simple, yet definitive classic practice-

Start here and look up his other books and audio karma talks on the web

http://www.holybooks.com/simply-this-moment-ajahn-brahm/ 321 page download Simply this Moment

and his audios http://www.diydharma.org/search/node/ajahn%20brahm

witty and accessible, and it you follow it and apply it to your life pretty deep. 

The approach is more Buddhist and meditative then Taoish and Qi Gong, but you follow a peaceful path with Jhanas, which is pretty good.

Is liberation possible with qigong practice. I don't wanna study Buddhism. According to me celibacy is very selfless act because you deny to the sensual pleasure. Instead of loosing energy in ejaculation we use that energy to help others. So celibacy is not selfish, this is how i see it. You can also refer any dvd lessons available on internet.

Well, if we do that, there won't be any of us left.

Which would make all of our traditions impossible, not to mention our lifetimes.

Is that what you're interested in?

-VonKrankenhaus

That's true. But i wanna stay single. That's why I'm looking up here and there someways to manage my sexual urges. Masturbation leaves me drained. That's why i wanna learn qigong, to calm my inside. I wanna stay all time calm and happy fro. Inside.

That's true. But i wanna stay single. That's why I'm looking up here and there someways to manage my sexual urges. Masturbation leaves me drained. That's why i wanna learn qigong, to calm my inside. I wanna stay all time calm and happy fro. Inside.

When you take up these noble practices,  your life will  unfold in a more happy/peaceful  way if you compare it to what could happen in your life  without  these  good  noble aspirations.  Someone who has good imagination would imagine the kind of life  he/she wants in future,  and start taking steps  that will  potentially  create that kind of  future life.

You aspirations are noble. So, i want to offer my experience based knowledge.  May i ask your age, sex, some background info, so that i can offer appropriate suggestions ?

I don't see how masturbation not selfish, when one has no partner.

Edited by idiot_stimpy

Try to replace celibacy with the most holy yabyum.  

Can even be done with Ma Palm and her five little daughters.

Idiot on the Path drinking when thirsty and eating when hungry and yabyumming when horny

When you take up these noble practices, your life will unfold in a more happy/peaceful way if you compare it to what could happen in your life without these good noble aspirations. Someone who has good imagination would imagine the kind of life he/she wants in future, and start taking steps that will potentially create that kind of future life.

You aspirations are noble. So, i want to offer my experience based knowledge. May i ask your age, sex, some background info, so that i can offer appropriate suggestions ?

I'm 20 years old healthy male. Everything was going fine with my life until hormones started taking their role. Unfortunately the only way i found to release these urges were masturbation. So yes I'm a kissless virgin. I can't live my life normally now because a lot of masturbation has ruined my energy levels and i find it difficult to focus on the other parts of my life. From some places i heard i can lower down the urges by sublimating my sexual energy. From the help of internet i started doing some basic breathing exercises like pranayam. It helped me to some extent only.

Later on from this forum i got to learn about mantak chia and his teachings. So i read his book in which he wrote about big draw and testicular breathing. I wanted to do these practices but someone warned that these practices can screw up my body so i didn't do it.

Again a good fella named effilang wrote here about macrocosmic orbits. Again i thought i can practice celibacy by meditating on MCO. But i was always in doubt. Now i am here thinking that if i learn qigong/internal alchemy from the basic i can learn to meditate on lower dantien. The only sole purpose of this whole thing is to calm my sexual energy so that i can live peacefully. I don't expect any miracles/ superpowers in return . please just calm my inside. That's my story.

Edited by Loveherbs

Is liberation possible with qigong practice. I don't wanna study Buddhism. According to me celibacy is very selfless act because you deny to the sensual pleasure. Instead of loosing energy in ejaculation we use that energy to help others. So celibacy is not selfish, this is how i see it. You can also refer any dvd lessons available on internet.

Again, "liberation" is a Buddhist concept, qigong is a taoist practice.  A taoist practice can neither set nor accomplish a Buddhist goal.

Taoist goals -- perfection, nondecay, immortality -- can be accomplished with neidan.  For this the prerequisite is neigong.  For this one possible venue is qigong.   It can help accomplish preliminary goals -- better health (physical and mental), more peaceful outlook, less confusion, greater clarity.  Good qigong is about self-discovery that may cause one to set the goal of self-improvement. 

We call this process of self-improvement "cultivation," or gongfu.  You treat yourself as, well, a garden you're in charge of; you may find, down the road, a great assortment of "gardening tools" to use.  Qigong is one of them.  There's no shortcuts -- things in a cultivated garden take time and care to grow.  You can't make a tree grow faster by pulling it up from the top.  You need to start with the groundwork.  

If what you mean to ask is, can qigong turn someone who has sexual urges into someone who doesn't, the answer is no.  There's rather dubious practices that were popularized by a famous teacher that are supposed to be taoist, but the results are usually poor, since they were originally developed for monks and came complete with a rigorous monastic lifestyle, very intense devotional practices taking up much of the monk's time and focus, prolonged meditations, austere living conditions, special libido-suppressing diets and herbs, and daily nonexposure to the opposite sex -- in other words, celibacy was the outcome of a great number of factors that were conductive to it.  Any sexuality suppressing practices taken out of such context either fail or damage one's health toward no spiritual benefits whatsoever.   

Sorry I can't offer a shortcut to what you currently desire, it just does not exist.   But do read up on taoism (you can start with the book I referenced, or someone else's suggestion),  see if it resonates.  Even if it doesn't, at least you would have a better idea of what it is and what it isn't, and will be able to compare this to the Buddhist offerings, which as I said you can also find on this forum, in another section.  Good luck.

• Like 6

Where I wrote that I consider celibacy to be selfish, I had the conscious, deliberate, decision to remove yourself from the stream of life, or evolution, in mind. I'm viewing it like building a cul de sac in the street plan of the global village. Dead End. No tru traffic. You kids get offa my lawn!

Or building a dam in the stream. You become the dam, a blockage in the flow. And this, in the sense of macro/microcosm, results in blockages in your flow.

Not that it affects the 7.3B members of the rest of humanity; the species will  trudge along just fine without your contribution. And not that it isn't perhaps the better decision in the big picture, it may well be, I don't know. But there are biological urges being intentionally supressed for personal, self-serving, desires, and the negative psychological effects on the individual may outweigh any perceived benefits.

The better route to take, imo, is the natural way, the way of open possibilities and of not denying yourself your true nature. 

• Like 1

I'm 20 years old healthy male. Everything was going fine with my life until hormones started taking their role. Unfortunately the only way i found to release these urges were masturbation. So yes I'm a kissless virgin. I can't live my life normally now because a lot of masturbation has ruined my energy levels and i find it difficult to focus on the other parts of my life. From some places i heard i can lower down the urges by sublimating my sexual energy. From the help of internet i started doing some basic breathing exercises like pranayam. It helped me to some extent only.

It was probably on the internet where you encountered the idea that masturbation has ruined your energy levels. The reality is probably a lot more complicated than that, and specific to you and your history thus far.

At your age, it may be better to investigate the root causes of your situation, the reasons you feel attracted to this idea in the first place, and work on them.

• Like 3

At your age, it may be better to investigate the root causes of your situation, the reasons you feel attracted to this idea in the first place, and work on them.

Oh, the idea of idea of retaining jing -- there´s something so tantalizing about it. I can´t say I´m free of the idea myself, but I do have a cautionary observation. In my experience, the mindset that leads a person to be promiscuous or masturbate to excess (whatever that may be), is the same mindset that leads a person to want to retain. They seem like opposite attitudes but are really two sides of the same coin. It´s like someone who binges and purges with food. Sometimes your stomach is full, sometimes empty, but the mental pattern underlying all this is singular.

If you want to do something really and truly different, moderation is the ticket. Of course, people who come from a binge and purge mindset aren´t going to find moderation appealing. And maybe that´s where the work is: getting to a place where it feels OK to be moderate.

Liminal

• Like 4

I would start with self-healing (on multiple levels) and gaining flexibility first as your foundation for later work like qigong, neigong, neidan, etc.
nei-gong-process-767x1024.jpg

Different people in this game long enough, tend to independently come to the same conclusions...

Edited by gendao
  • Like 2