Sign in to follow this  
idiot_stimpy

A most important point

There is nothing you can do, to free yourself.

I'll rewrite it for clarity...

Host = Essence

Guest = Being that will die

"There is nothing the host can do because it does nothing, to free itself. It is already free."

"There is nothing the guest can do to free the host, because the host is already free."

"There is nothing the host can do to free the guest, because the host does nothing. It can watch though".

"The guest can free the guest by alteration of it's neural structure. This is a decision, but the decision is inevitable therefore you could say that nothing can be done about it."

That last point is important and deserves a little attention. The process of doing things for refinement is like setting up the scaffolding. You can do this much, then allow it all to collapse when things are ripe. Whether you're actually doing things or not depends on your perspective at that point in time. Therefore a statement such as the original one is rather unhelpful because the meaning differs depending on where you're at. The scaffolding can be altered in a detrimental manner if taken the wrong way.

• Like 4

you can reach a threshold (or work) but you cant' pass it without it helping you do so (or grace)

• Like 3

You can't free yourself directly, but you can short-circuit the process by which you trap yourself. Since everything feeds into a cycle, the way out is by feeding something into the cycle that unbinds it, a thorn to pick out the thorn - gnosis.

Thanissaro:

And you begin to realize [...], the question comes up, "There's stress if I stay here, but there's going to be stress if I move, and this is where it gets paradoxical, you neither stay nor move. There's no intention either way because you realize whichever way you intend, there's going to be stress." And it's in that moment of non-intention that things open up.
  • Like 2

There is nothing you can do, to free yourself.

But I am already free.  I don't need to be liberated; I don't need to be saved.

If you feel you are imprisoned at least check to see if the door is locked.  Oftentimes it is not.

• Like 4

ego no matter how powerful or clever can not free itself from itself, although in one way or another it reaches the point where it knows that of itself is not enough to truly satisfy or give meaning beyond doubts - like when Solomon spoke of the,  "Vanity of vanities", thus a threshold is reached and that which was veiled by ego reaches out for help which is answered by help reaching through the veil to it.

• Like 2

A Short Story About Pots:

A water bearer had two large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, while the other pot was perfect.

At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot was always half empty. For two years this went on, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots full of water to his house. The perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments but the poor cracked pot was miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.

It spoke to the water bearer one day.

“I am ashamed of myself, this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your house.”

The bearer said to his pot,

“Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path, but not on the other pot’s side? That’s because I have always known about your flaw, and I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you’ve watered them.”

“For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house.”

Moral: It’s the cracks and flaws we each have that makes our lives together so very interesting and rewarding. You’ve just got to take each person for what they are, and look for the good in them.

P 20 Synapse bridge magazine Volume 10 Reconnecting lives

Official journal of The Brain Injury Association of Queensland

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this