Nungali

Disappearing threads ?

Why are some people claiming that posts are disappearing in the current Mopie thread  ? 

( and please dont disappear this one   ;) )  

Why are some people claiming that posts are disappearing in the current Mopie thread  ? 

( and please dont disappear this one   ;) )  

Due to the Owner's Permissions... folks can remove their own posts.

I explained this to staff based on the post you are talking about.

I personally find this is a good thing and we don't need to raise any concern over it.   If you really feel that you should not of posted something, with Owner's Permission, you can remove it.

• Like 2

FWIW, Bums have hidden about a dozen posts in that thread. While I agree this is generally "a good thing," it does carry with it the potential to substantially change the character of posts in the thread by obfuscating the context of posts in reply to statements later removed. I think it is a tactic ripe for abuse by bad actors and one which warrants the attention of the moderation team.

• Like 1

Ohhh ... they are self removed .... thanks. 

Ummmm ... how do I buy an owner's permission ? 

(or is that a posters de-embarrassment commission )

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Due to the Owner's Permissions... folks can remove their own posts.

I explained this to staff based on the post you are talking about.

I personally find this is a good thing and we don't need to raise any concern over it.   If you really feel that you should not of posted something, with Owner's Permission, you can remove it.

Whilst it can ideed be a good thing there is also the negative to be considered. The removal, by a contributor, of all of their posts can make a complete nonsense of a thread. This can and will be done deliberately in many cases.

• Like 4

Whilst it can ideed be a good thing there is also the negative to be considered. The removal, by a contributor, of all of their posts can make a complete nonsense of a thread. This can and will be done deliberately in many cases.

One of the main reasons I have always been against the authority to remove posts.  Editing already allow for much latitude.

One of the main reasons I have always been against the authority to remove posts.  Editing already allow for much latitude.

Edited by dayzhaze

True... but deleting all your typed content vs removing the post seems very little difference except folks see that someone removed their content.  In either case, the content is gone.

What I gather so far, from the few times it was used, is that folks really regretting getting involved in posting in the thread wrote a comment to that effect.

I think that for now, giving folks the ability to remove their own post one of two ways gives them more responsibility in posting.  

Time will tell if it is abused. 

• Like 2

I thought only the thread's initiator aka OP could moderate the content. Seems I was mistaken

I thought so too  :D

But it seems that this would be incredibly difficult or time consuming to try and police... and a big part of these permissions was to have less [need of] moderating.    As folks starting using it on their own, I'd rather see how that works out.

Editing already allow for much latitude.

It feels now like reading a 100 page book but having only 70 and no clue which ones are missing. In the past you got at least the empty pages at the correct position and knew where something was missing.

• Like 3

It feels now like reading a 100 page book but having only 70 and no clue which ones are missing. In the past you got at least the empty pages at the correct position and knew where something was missing.

There's a little bit of exaggeration going on here... but the fact is, most of the removed posts were by folks who support Mopai training...  So, they just didn't seem to feel it was worth sharing their discussion points in the end.   

Tip for those who hide half their posts: Take a deep breathe and really think about what you're doing before you hit the post button. 

Also, please don't complain about others before getting your own house in order.

• Like 1

I have actually edited one of my 30,000 posts but that was per request of a moderator.  I had been naughty.

No comment . I just want this here so you cant remove it later.  ^_^

• Like 1

It is especially important to hide your posts in Mo Pai threads, lest you get yourself caught up arguing about nothing for days on end. 

• Like 2

Then I would have thought one would not post there in the first place  if they thought that  :wacko:

Ohhhh .... hang on a minute .... 

It is especially important to hide your posts in Mo Pai threads, lest you get yourself caught up arguing about nothing for days on end. 

Then I would have thought one would not post there in the first place  if they thought that  :wacko:

:)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

... lest you get yourself caught up arguing about nothing for days on end. 

But there are people who do that their entire lifetime.  What's a couple of days?

Ohhhh .... hang on a minute .... 

:)

I guess i'm not the enlightened master you take me for

I have actually edited one of my 30,000 posts but that was per request of a moderator.  I had been naughty.

Okay.  That count is now two.

• Like 2

Speaking of missing threads, it's been my understanding, and my experience behind the scenes, that admin here doesn't edit or delete posts let alone entire threads. But that seems to have happened today, in conjuction with a moderation announcement which was locked for comment, in contrast to established policy.

Bodes not well for the new year, imo.

• Like 1

Speaking of missing threads, it's been my understanding, and my experience behind the scenes, that admin here doesn't edit or delete posts let alone entire threads. But that seems to have happened today, in conjuction with a moderation announcement which was locked for comment, in contrast to established policy.

Bodes not well for the new year, imo.

Moved to the abyss... which I think you are aware of  :)

They contain information which includes the reasons for the recent banning as well as many references to member's names.

Moved to the abyss... which I think you are aware of   :)

They contain information which includes the reasons for the recent banning as well as many references to member's names.

The threads concerning the recent events involving the Mo Pai and More Pie factions on the forum have been locked. The Mo Pai faction has been banned from the forum and although a Moderation Log has been opened  this  also is locked.

We appear to have had a "Night of the Long Knives" and I for one await an explanation.

Edited by Chang

Moved to the abyss... which I think you are aware of   :)

no, I don''t see it anywhere (???).

Regardless, there were productive posts in that thread from various members who aren't (always) involved in the dramtics. Those posts are now gone, too.

• Like 1