DanC

Qigong calisthenics

Anyone know of a good book/DVD on qigong calisthenics , something that is easy to learn and is done for fairly high reps, simple qigong that doesn't require a lot of skill. Things like arms swinging , slapping, spine stretches etc etc

• Like 1

That's a really good question because those are important techniques that get overlooked. Possibly because they appear too simple to be effective?

• Like 1

Yep - a nice introduction to this is Bruce Frantzis' 'Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body'. It is an introductory book, but I liked some of the practices so much I now incorporate some of his stuff into my daily practice.

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

There's a book and dvd called "Chinese Healing Exercises: A Personalized Practice for Health and Longevity" by Steven Cardoza that sounds like what you might be looking for. He is also a student of BK Frantzis, but this book has a lot more exercises than Frantzis's.

This might not be what you're looking for, but these days I'm bastardizing some of what I'm learning in the Wim Hof cold adaption method.  He likes doing some exercises with breath holds.  I'll do 10 easy push ups against an incline, like a table or counter, then 10 more with deep quick breaths, breathing big when I go down, out when as I come up for 10.  The last 10 I'll do holding my breath after exhaling.  I'll probably increase it to 15/15/15 soon.

Not particularly spiritual but I like the single page 'sheet' exercises at darebee.com .  From 'superhero' workout sequences to ones with specific ideals, they might have a sequence that looks good to you.  I'm currently working with there K-Sculpt workout that uses kettlebells.  

Yep - a nice introduction to this is Bruce Frantzis' 'Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body'. It is an introductory book, but I liked some of the practices so much I now incorporate some of his stuff into my daily practice.

I was going to recommend that book at first, but changed my mind because it has soooo much more info than Dan is looking for, but I do think it's one of those books that should be be in everyone's collection at some point.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions, I actually just looked at a DVD I bought a while back "qigong recharge" and it's a mix of joint mobility and tai chi qigong, but will look into the other suggestions as well.

thelerner, funny you mention breath holds, I'm getting into buteyko at the moment and practicing reduced breathing during my daily walks with good results.

• Like 1

The first qigong set in the Stillness-Movement system can easily be learned from DVD, requires no great physicality, and is surprisingly effective.

• Like 1

thelerner, funny you mention breath holds, I'm getting into buteyko at the moment and practicing reduced breathing during my daily walks with good results.

Funny you should mention walks, last weekend I was getting into something I used to work on.  Walking with eyes closed.  I'd start by taking 8 steps then 'blink' them open, then 10, then 12 steps, finally walking for as long as I felt comfortable before sneaking a quick peek.  It's an interesting combination of paranoia and peacefulness. 

• Like 1

Hahaha very cool, where I walk along the beach path I would end up walking into a cyclist or skateboarder..

Hahaha very cool, where I walk along the beach path I would end up walking into a cyclist or skateboarder..

That's why you listen well and 'blink' your eyes open when you feel.. something.  Every 8 or 10 steps is every few seconds.  As you trust yourself it gets longer.  With practice you walk straighter and find the cyclists, skateboarders make enough noise to spot early. 

• Like 1

I used to do many many many "calisthenics".

And many many specific qigong trainings.

But I noticed years ago that as I was living my life that I was reducing or "disappearing" these practices into all of my ordinary activities.

Sitting down and getting up. Opening door. Cut radish. Etc.

All became qigong.

So now I am doing by comparison NO "calisthenics" and "trainings" yet also doing ONLY calisthenics and trainings.

In this way I am spending now just about 100% of time cultivating qigong/neigong.

Because they "disappeared".

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 6

My physique never changed in the past 40 years as I "disappeared" calisthenics into daily life.

So - same amount of action is there.

Same amount of "training" must be happening.

But transcended the concept - and all work fell away, while nothing was gone.

"Ordinary life" is very powerful.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1