There was one time where I was standing and connecting the energy of my body out through my right arm and I somehow threaded a needle and connected in a really specific way. The result was that my arm felt like it turned to a thick liquid and was stretching and melting longer than the distance to the ground. It felt really heavy but really light to move.

I've been trying to get this again for years with no luck. It feels like the right kind of state for internal martial arts. Heavy but light to move (fast and powerful). 

Can anyone here do this, and how do you go about turning it on?

What I was thinking about was raising up my spine, expanding the spinal energy to the collarbone, expanding from the center of the collarbone and center of the spine around into my shoulders, and just feeling a connection. I wasn't trying to move my shoulder back into alignment but I noted that it did that itself, not that I realised it was happening at the time.

I want to try and get this state in my whole body so I'm willing to try any suggestions.

• Like 1

As you've been trying to recreate it for some time I'd suggest letting go of this as a pursuit. There can be some quite deep/powerful experiences at the beginning of a spiritual path which can feel quite nice, but it's best not to get too caught up with them. Set yourself up a regular practice you enjoy and allow the more subtle daily benefits be your motivation. Just feeling a little better and a little more energised, the great thing with this is that you then never get disappointed with what you are doing.

• Like 3

There was one time where I was standing and connecting the energy of my body out through my right arm and I somehow threaded a needle and connected in a really specific way. The result was that my arm felt like it turned to a thick liquid and was stretching and melting longer than the distance to the ground. It felt really heavy but really light to move.

I've been trying to get this again for years with no luck. It feels like the right kind of state for internal martial arts. Heavy but light to move (fast and powerful). 

Can anyone here do this,

yes. when i ramp up the number of forms I do in a day to 7-8, there is a feeling of liquid mercury traveling along the extremities with a strike

and how do you go about turning it on?

What I was thinking about was raising up my spine, expanding the spinal energy to the collarbone, expanding from the center of the collarbone and center of the spine around into my shoulders, and just feeling a connection. I wasn't trying to move my shoulder back into alignment but I noted that it did that itself, not that I realised it was happening at the time.

I want to try and get this state in my whole body so I'm willing to try any suggestions.

the exact method is secret but its main components are stretches, standing and powering down the mind.

• Like 1

When I was practicing a lot more internal kan/li meditation, a friend who hadn't seen me for a good year or so commented, "since when do you color your hair?". Of course, I don't color my hair. But after she said that, I began looking at my hair in mirrors (especially after getting into the car) to look at my hair ... it only took about two months for the full gray to return and it's been that way since.

Her comment actually wormed its way into my meditations (and she's the kind of energy-sucker that would do something like that intentionally) and I'm wondering now if it's partly why I sort of drifted away from those practices.

So, my point is obviously, as miffy says, it's a tricky edge to walk. Intentions and desires can be a trap.

• Like 3

It's not really a big deal. Just thought I'd mention it. Got plenty of other stuff to practice. It came to mind because my shoulders have been sore and this would have pretty much fixed them up if it was like it was last time.

The point of intention and desire is an interesting one when it comes to martial arts. You obviously want to do something, but at the same time you don't. It's only starting to become apparent what the masters mean when they say "do nothing". You might be hitting someone but you really aren't doing anything.