Computers are ruining this world (this is what a Chinese TCM doctor told me a couple of years ago). I am overwhelmed by the numbers of patients I see with middle jiao, spleen and stomach disharmonies to the excessive use of computers, Internet, looking at smartphones while eating, watching TV while having dinner at night time, eating cold foods, iced beverages, etc.

Information about the role of the Earth organs:

Stomach function (yang)

Spleen function (yin)

Middle Jiao (the fermentation vat, the general metaboliser of the actions carried by the stomach and the spleen; it acts like a mini-engine)

The stomach is called the sea of grain and water; everything is assimilated here. The spleen is in charge of transportation; everything is moved by its workings. Absorbing and moving: these are the essential actions which define the spleen/stomach network as the main source of the life-sustaining postnatal energy. (The Spleen/Stomach: views from the past)

What's the point of meditating, Qigong work, etc. if one is constantly insulting Earth with modern eating habits (terrible), you are going nowhere.

It took my all these years to realise that my poor eating habits kept me from progressing.

Watch your tummy! :)

• Like 9

Computers are ruining this world (this is what a Chinese TCM doctor told me a couple of years ago). I am overwhelmed by the numbers of patients I see with middle jiao, spleen and stomach disharmonies to the excessive use of computers, Internet, looking at smartphones while eating, watching TV while having dinner at night time, eating cold foods, iced beverages, etc.

Stomach function (yang)

Spleen function (yin)

Middle Jiao (the fermentation vat, the general metaboliser of the actions carried by the stomach and the spleen; it acts like a mini-engine)

The stomach is called the sea of grain and water; everything is assimilated here. The spleen is in charge of transportation; everything is moved by its workings. Absorbing and moving: these are the essential actions which define the spleen/stomach network as the main source of the life-sustaining postnatal energy. (The Spleen/Stomach: views from the past)

What's the point of meditating, Qigong work, etc. if one is constantly insulting Earth with modern eating habits (terrible), you are going nowhere.

It took my all these years to realise that my poor eating habits kept me from progressing.

Excellent links, thanks for sharing with us!

In your opinion, what would be good to remedy the negative effects of excessive computer use (besides limiting it's use, which I am happy to do but I use the computer everyday for extended periods due to almost all my creative passions requiring it's use - music composition, video game design etc...)?

Warming and Qi restoring herbs such as ginseng, longan berry, licorice root etc?

P.S I definitely consider myself to have a weak stomach, get stomach aches and flatulence from a few different food sources which I try to avoid, aswell as being intolerant of chili and lactose. - Apparently my being a metal sheep is related to this also.

Edited by Synchronic
  • Like 2

This is it. My smartphone is my phone, newspaper, video player, music player, camera/camcorder etc etc. With so many uses as a one-stop-shop, surely we need to embrace the technology whilst being weary of it.

Catch 22, do you feel?

Edited by Rara

Synchronic...do a lot of grounding work when yo finish, stay away from any electronic devices or mental activity when you eat. Thnking disrupts spleen function as this organ is already responsible of the intellect, so you'll be basically overloading the Earth (Yi spirit). Also eat slowly, mindfully and rest after eating, I mean don't jump back to your computer or get involved with mental activity again (I am the first offender as I picked up this bad habit as a University student).

Herbs heal but as Rara said, it's a catch 22 thing, first, you heal yourself, and then you hurt yourself, so what's the point?

Good luck. :)

• Like 2

Stomach function (yang)

Spleen function (yin)

Thankyou Gerard,

Working with computers,takes practice,causes fueges states,sore back,dehydration,and many other ailments.

Take regular breaks,get up take a walk,one friend at work makes me laugh when he gets up from his computer,grabs his jacket,then gives us his standard line,"I'm going farcoffee",meaning he is going to f--k off for a coffee.

Fasting is somehow a dirty word,few develop personal fasting regimes,those that do,delight in abundant energy flow.

A personal favourite is one meal a day at around two or three in the afternoon,maybe a light biscuit supper.

Periodic one or two day fast,this is effortless,especially if you are suitably occupied.

Other regimes also fun,like only eating when you are hungry,can save you money as well.

Find what works for yourself,it appears everyone is different but the same.

• Like 2

You are welcome. :)

I recall now why in the Vipassana retreat I attended in northern Thailand there is a saying framed on the wall that goes like:

"I am here to eat mindfully and in silence..." (just a bit more metaphorical and longer but in essence the same)

Very similar to what is encouraged at Spirit Rock:

"Eating Meditation: An awareness of food, and the mindful understanding of the entire process of nourishment and eating is included in the practice at retreats. Retreatants are encouraged to bring the same calm, focused attention to eating as is brought to sitting and walking. Mindful eating is a wonderful context for the arising of insights. The simple, mindful eating of an apple connects us to the orchard far away from our dining table, to the sun and rain and earth that nurture the tree, to the grower, the picker, the trucker, the grocer, to the truth of the interconnectedness of all existence. On retreat, carefully prepared vegetarian meals are served. Retreatants may assist the cooks in meal preparation and clean up. The most substantial meal is served at mid-day. The lightest meal of the day is the "light evening meal" usually offered around 5:30pm."

If the whole of society were to follow this simple task I can assure you this world will be a totally different place!!

"Mindful eating not only influences the stomach-spleen-middle jiao but the rest of the organs as they are all interconnected by a meridian system." (yes literally! And they all rotate around the Bagua like an entire Universe itself, amazing isn't it?)

Then you ask yourself: what is a human being? And where is the spirit located? Ha! ;)

More resources from the Taoist technical (herbal and diet) side of things:

Digestive system and Chinese herbal treatment

Herbal Explorations (they give great tips about diet and various other topics). Check the issues on "Crossing the Barrier: Applying TCM Food Therapy to American Cuisine."

Industrial farming has done a lot of damage to humanity and the natural environment (soil depletion, loss of nutrients, pollution, etc.), but how to reverse? It will be one of the future challenges alongside climate change, renewable energies, consumerism and population control.

Eat well, eat slow and pay respect to mother Earth for nourishing you.

:)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 5

Depends how you use technology. It's part of my training now to be mindful of my state of mind when on the computer. The effect seems to change depending on how absorbed you are.

• Like 1

There is some truth in the OP, but what matters more than any physical influences is one's psychological condition. A balanced and happy mind will go a long way helping you deal with all kinds of potentially detrimental stuff, but the opposite doesn't hold true. The healthiest diet etc won't overcome the physical effects of a troubled mind. Always, the mind supersedes the physical.

• Like 4

Re:

-----

"There is some truth in the OP, but what matters more than any physical influences is one's psychological condition. A balanced and happy mind will go a long way helping you deal with all kinds of potentially detrimental stuff, but the opposite doesn't hold true. The healthiest diet etc won't overcome the physical effects of a troubled mind. Always, the mind supersedes the physical."

-----

Where is ones "psychological condition" arising from?

Is it arising from the functions of the brain and nervous system?

Are digestive and respiratory functions, etc, having effect on the brain and nervous system?

Without the body and brain and organs - is there any "psychological condition"?

What part of these (body, brain, organs, human being as a whole) is not made from "food"?

"Food" is just another way of saying "environment".

In nature, inner environment is complimentary to outer environment.

The environment is manifesting us.

If we warp this, distortion happens.

Modern materialist consumer person is a distortion of humanity.

So vision and actions are also distorted.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

There is some truth in the OP, but what matters more than any physical influences is one's psychological condition. A balanced and happy mind will go a long way helping you deal with all kinds of potentially detrimental stuff.

The point is that how you eat and "what" you put in your mouth is what matters the most. Why do you think highly accomplished practitioners go on very long fasts and when they finish they eat minimally, like birds. Food acts very much like herbs, so make sure what you eat is appropriate to you, because the wrong food can be (it actually is) toxic and mess up your internal system nicely.

Fine tuning the diet is an art that takes time to master, eating according to seasonal changes is also a rule that must be followed at all times.

And finally don't forget that if The Buddha set up the monastic rule of one meal a day and before midday is for a real reason, far from being religious. One needs less food once the "engine" and the "pipes" are open and clean of "debris", plus your system becomes more efficient since you are extracting more Qi out of the food you eat. :)

-VonKrankenhaus

Internal organs. :)

The brain is only the yang aspect of what's happening in the "Man" and "Yin" levels.

The brain is nourished by the kidney so make sure you look after kidney yin and kidney yang as of they were the most precious flowers of your garden, because they really are. Food additives, the ingestion of cold and raw foods and drinks drain kidney yang!

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

Re:

-----

"There is some truth in the OP, but what matters more than any physical influences is one's psychological condition. A balanced and happy mind will go a long way helping you deal with all kinds of potentially detrimental stuff, but the opposite doesn't hold true. The healthiest diet etc won't overcome the physical effects of a troubled mind. Always, the mind supersedes the physical."

-----

It is mostly happening on the so called subtle levels, in the mental and emotional bodies. These can and do exist and function apart from the physical body. The function of the brain (and other organs) is to link them to the physical body. There are actually people with virtually no brain but capable of normal cognitive processes (it's called hydranencephaly).

Are digestive and respiratory functions, etc, having effect on the brain and nervous system?

Yes, there is some give and take between the physical and the subtle bodies via the etheric body. It's no one-way street.

Without the body and brain and organs - is there any "psychological condition"?

Yes, as I have explained above.

What part of these (body, brain, organs, human being as a whole) is not made from "food"?

"Food" is just another way of saying "environment".

In nature, inner environment is complimentary to outer environment.

The environment is manifesting us.

To a certain degree. At once, we are manifesting the environment, both individually and collectively.

If we warp this, distortion happens.

Modern materialist consumer person is a distortion of humanity.

I know what you mean. But your outlook is quite on the material side too - literally.

So vision and actions are also distorted.

-VonKrankenhaus

Edited by Michael Sternbach

The point is that how you eat and "what" you put in your mouth is what matters the most.

As Jesus says in the Gospel of Thomas, what matters most is not what goes into the mouth but what comes out of it. Besides speech, this also extends to one's unspoken thoughts.

Why do you think highly accomplished practitioners go on very long fasts and when they finish they eat minimally, like birds.

To lessen their physical boundaries. The non-physical aspects seem to be strengthened by the absence of food!

Food acts very much like herbs, so make sure what you eat is appropriate to you, because the wrong food can be (it actually is) toxic and mess up your internal system nicely.

Fine tuning the diet is an art that takes time to master, eating according to seasonal changes is also a rule that must be followed at all times.

The more sensitive you are on that level, the more careful you must be about what you eat. Which will tend to decrease your nutritional tolerance further, unfortunately.

And finally don't forget that if The Buddha set up the monastic rule of one meal a day and before midday is for a real reason, far from being religious.

He also told them, when asking for donations, to eat whatever is offered to them...

One needs less food once the "engine" and the "pipes" are open and clean of "debris", plus your system becomes more efficient since you are extracting more Qi out of the food you eat. :)

Actuslly, on the most advanced levels it seems possible to let the omnipresent Qi nurture you directly.

• Like 2

Re:

-----

"It is mostly happening on the so called subtle levels, in the mental and emotional bodies. These can and do exist and function apart from the physical body. The function of the brain (and other organs) is to link them to the physical body. There are actually people with virtually no brain but capable of normal cognitive processes (it's called hydranencephaly)."

-----

"Normal" cognitive processes are barely understood.

People's expectations made from their assumptions - there are surprises. They got surprised.

We would need to define "emotion" and "mind" for this discussion.

-----

"At once, we are manifesting the environment, both individually and collectively."

-----

The "environment" is infinite.

It is extending from the densest minerals and matter to "vibrations" of no period and no length.

We are condensing from this, and dissolving back into this, environment.

We are a subset of this, a fraction, a bubble.

What and where are "our" "emotions" in this?

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 1

Re:

-----

"I know what you mean. But your outlook is quite on the material side too - literally."

-----

I see "physical" and "spiritual" as "two" "aspects" of same thing, complimentary.

Spirit is becoming physical and physical is becoming spirit.

So if we are discussing "spiritual" then "physical" immediately is there.

And if we are looking at "physical", we are actually looking at "spiritual".

"You" are an expression of "environment".

Environment condensing, then expanding.

Contraction and expansion.

To understand, we must comprehend Will.

-VonKrankenhaus

Edited by vonkrankenhaus

Nice post.  Yes, I am a Materialist.  I have never denied that.

I see "physical" and "spiritual" as "two" "aspects" of same thing, complimentary.

I have no argument with this perspective.  I consider myself to be a spiritual person but I don't talk about it because I don't want my spirituality to be associated with any form of religion.

Spirit is becoming physical and physical is becoming spirit.

Yes, as it should be, dynamic.

So if we are discussing "spiritual" then "physical" immediately is there.

And if we are looking at "physical", we are actually looking at "spiritual".

Basic agreement because I have no disagreement.

"You" are an expression of "environment".

I, you, the Ten Thousand Things, all the manifest and all potential are expressions of Tao.  Sure, my environment has a lot to do with who/what I am.

To understand, we must comprehend Will.

Is that "free will" or "determination"?