I have never been involved with facebook ... and I am happy  :) 

Most of my phone traffic is telstra trying to sell me stuff or offer me deals.   I virtually ignore email and snail mail  (there was a letter for jury duty in there for a month before I saw it ... ooops ... $1200 fine  - I managed to escape that.

No news is good news ... even if there is bad news - I wouldnt know   :closedeyes:

• Like 1

I can certainly agree with that, for me the main reason being that it can became..

A. an addiction/compulsive habbit

B. a time sink and waste of time

C. a way to lose energy by negatively reacting to "bullshit" that is posted on there alot of the time, I personally have frustrated myself countless times trying to debate or "prove people wrong".

Finally nipped the bud (in the bud..? lol) and only go on there to check messages like an email service, mainly because I currently haven't had a mobile phone for about 6 months (and loving the freedom) so it's one of the only ways I can organise stuff with people and keep in contact.

That being said as a musician and artist it does have it's uses when it comes to spreading content and showcasing/advertising your work, but from now on I'm just gonna do that hit and run style, post whatever productive things I need to then immediately logout and check up on it for a couple of minutes the next day when checking messages.

Edited by Synchronic

Facebook is awful ... BUT ... I was persuaded to use it to keep in touch with some people I know and a Buddhist group - and it does work for that.

I keep expect it to be superceded as myspace and others were - but it seems to have a stranglehold.

• Like 1

Imho FACEBOOK can harm / destroy "real" Relationships, in favour of "virtual" ones. :blush:

When my partner is watching one of HER Favourite TV shows, whilst eating Dinner, I'll sometimes take a look at Facebook etc on my Mobile or Tablet. Then get told that I'm not giving her enough attention. !!!

Errr,... escuse me but weren't YOU were watching TV ???? :blink:

Recently, we both went for Weekend Break, to get away from it all. Checked in to a Nice Hotel on the Friday Night & after unpacking I took a couple of photos on my Phone, of our nice room. Posted them on FB (without a second thought) & the two of us were getting on fine until Saturday Lunchtime, when she checked her Mobile & saw my post.

My Partner wants us to have some experiences which are Private & just for the two of us.

I enjoy taking photographs on my Camera or Mobile, but now don't "share" them with anybody, just in case.

So tend to spend a lot less time on Facebook etc these days.

Never had had a Facebook account, so can't tell the difference. But it seems annoying and time consuming.

It's strange how, afters years, people keep puting pressure on me for opening one, like if it was so fucking abnormal not to "be" "there". (Well people also want me to cut my hair, find a real job, get laid more often even with women I don't really care for; and think that tea is a bitter shitty powder in a little bag, so... o_O)

Edited by Aithrobates
  • Like 3

Not reading threads about facebook on daobums makes you happy too   ^_^

Facebums ... easy to say but hard to do.

• Like 5

For staying connected to some old friends and for keeping an ear on certain events (for me Burning Man & Wim Hoff group..) Facebook has been important.  Not something to use every day.  Or even post much in, but good for keeping tabs.

• Like 2

I use it pretty much every day and am happy. If I didn't use it, I'd have a bit more free time, but then again I'd feel less connected to some good people. It can also sometimes be a good source for links to cool or educational sites.

• Like 3

I mean ... good grief man .... you hand that to me on a platter ... what am   supposed to do with it ?  :)

PlatterHead.jpg

• Like 1

It's strange how, afters years, people keep puting pressure on me for opening one, like if it was so fucking abnormal not to "be" "there".

Yeah, it's obvious. They feel lonely in their misery and want you to join them in it.

Not surprised that people act like agents, considering what big fear agenda it is run by.

Interesting fact: Facebook's wannabe-competitor Google+ ... when they tried to force it on people, I was appalled, as were many others. Now that I finally tried to practice some acceptance and acknowledged it for the few features that I actually found useful, they removed exactly those features while posting a dumb attempt at a justification. (Basically the typical easy-to-see-through 'You wanted it, we did it.' And no choice given, no option.)

Businesses like that are FUBAR. They've crossed the point of no return.

Edited by Owledge

I remember randomly going to a bar where most of my friends were going by the time. I sit a a table with say 6-8 people. I hear the conversations and I understand that 1) they actually were chating on FB and decided to join IRL from there and that 2) now that they meet in the meat everything that they talked about is what "happended" on FB today o_O . It was kind of scary, like you never really disconnect...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

For staying connected to some old friends and for keeping an ear on certain events (for me Burning Man & Wim Hoff group..) Facebook has been important.  Not something to use every day.  Or even post much in, but good for keeping tabs.

It's pretty much the only way we can keep our xingyibagua practice group organized.

Interesting phrasing. "Being on Facebook probably makes you slightly less happy" would have been my choice.

I have only ever used FB as a replacement tool for communication, not a replacement for a social life. It became popular when I was first in China, which was very useful. I've never been big on phones, and FB allowed me to communicate with all my friends back home with photos, updates, private messages, etc. Of course I still spoke on the phone/Skype with family and a couple of friends.

Nowadays, though it's changed and certainly become a great moneymaker, it remains for me a free communication tool, allowing me to stay updated on friends around the world (not so many in China, unfortunately; have to use other networks for them) and share certain things with friends closer to home. My phone is too old to use FB, but when I bother to get a new one I will also be able to stay updated more easily on social gatherings, the organization of which is almost exclusively through FB these days. Making organization more convenient, I think it probably actually leads to more interaction among my local friends.

Guest Harley

Facebook might be OK if people didn't post several times a day about insignificant things or about their personal drama that is not everybody's business

Facebook might be OK if people didn't post several times a day about insignificant things or about their personal drama that is not everybody's business

Considering that it can be for any kind of expression, I'd not even mind, but what bothers me about Facebook is that it's run by an evil business.

Yep. There's allways the problem that it's not a free technology. Nobody can implement "a" FB on it's own server, and interconnect it with other nodes. FB does not work like that, it all belong to one, and only one corporation... while it became a major mean of communication, at global scale. It's like if there was only one phone company for the whole planet... (Same thing can be said for twitter, etc...)

For microblogging an equivalent, and freely implementable, tech exists: https://gnu.io/social/

Not sure, I had my periods with and withoud FB, and there is no difference. But to be honest, I'm not FB 'junky', so maybe thats reason why