Sign in to follow this  
Sunya

dan tiens, alchemy process

i'm new to daoist alchemy, i'm mainly familiar with the hindu perspective. i hope one of you knowledable folks can enlighten me on this. in the beginning i see that lower dan tien work is stressed, where jing is produced, right? so there is jing, chi, and shen. corresponding to each dan tien? so how does one take the jing energy and convert that into chi, and then chi into shen. is it a conscious process?

Edited by mikaelz

I've been meaning to play the fool and ask the same question, in relation to what I've wrote in the "Warm Path" thread.

So basically is like this:

Jing

Qi

Shen

You first need to know the working definition of these three.

Jing is the essence of vitality. It's working definition was primarely essence stored in the ovaries/testicles, blood essence, hormone essence, saliva essence. There is another type of jing that is stored in the kidney, and the way to restore it is not known yet to everyone. But I think it is restorable. Others may think differently, it's ok.

So, I tried to give you a glimpse at the first ingredient. There are various methods of gathering and transforming it into qi. There is more that could be said about jing...

I think it's an interesting thread. If we want to, we can make it into the Bum's Summoning of Alchemy Wiz

^_^

The three dan tiens are foutain centers, the three treasures are different forms, like ice water steam.

there are exercises for what you talk about. keep asking questions.

Jing, Chi and Shen are rather mechanical ways of understanding the dan tiens (at least in my oppinion). Like looking at blood to try and understand the heart...

I'm always very curious as to how reality and my consciousness is formed by these three... The jing, qi and shen then kind of fall into place and kind of confuse in the right way.

My belly is basically infinity - it contains everything as well as nothing - when first discovering it, it feels almost like an empty void - but that void is the everything... In normal day to day life, my belly is silently witnessing - it has no emotion - or rather it has all emotion, but never one emotion and not another one, so it basically feels like flowing stillness...

The heart is the part of me that feels - it feels things in the body and it feels things outside of the body - it registers everything whether we're aware or not. It feels and feels - feels emotion, feels physical sensation, feels the connection we have with people, feels the pain of being ignored, feels the orientation of the planets, feels the death of a peasant a million miles away, feels the guy who just won the lottery etc.

And then we have the head - if the belly is infinite - this is exactly the opposite - it's very finite - it's like a tiny flashlight that can be directed anywhere in the universe, but only sees the bit of the universe that it sheds its light on, thereby missing the infity around. This is the part of us that runs our lives - it makes judgements, it makes emotions be about something in particular, it's what some call the ego...

So we have the infinite undifferentiated bit in the belly - we have the finite, individuated bit in the head and we have this heart that is the bridge between the two (and eventually it becomes far more than just the bridge).

jing and shen, kind of work in an opposite sort of way....

in the words of a very wise man: "keep asking questions." :D

Sign in to follow this