sketchbo0k

A few questions on sleeping

A few questions I've been wondering about for a while now,

1) How do I go about training to sleep in a cross-legged position, half-lotus or full lotus position?

2) How do I start training to let my body sleep but my mind remain awake and aware.

A few questions I've been wondering about for a while now,

1) How do I go about training to sleep in a cross-legged position, half-lotus or full lotus position?

2) How do I start training to let my body sleep but my mind remain awake and aware.

1) Begin by meditating in the desired position and gradually increase the time until you can sit for several hours comfortably

2) You can train yourself to become lucid in the dream. Once that is mastered, you can transcend dream altogether and sleep the sleep of clear light. There are methods for learning this. Search here for dream and sleep yoga. 

• Like 5

I'm sorry but that has nothing to do with my questions

Your questions were naive and irrelevant. Would you like it said any more directly?

The closest thing to what you describe is lucid dreaming, except your mind is not awake and aware but asleep and aware(ish). A condition where your body is asleep and your mind is awake as per normal is by no means the definition of asleep, as I eluded to. It's more like a state of rest. Gaining that is therefore obtained through the process of learning deep relaxation.

Even enlightened people need to sleep. You can't get around it. You'll likely lose a lot of it practicing lucid dreaming which is mostly a pointless endeavor in any case.

Your questions were naive and irrelevant. Would you like it said any more directly?

The closest thing to what you describe is lucid dreaming, except your mind is not awake and aware but asleep and aware(ish). A condition where your body is asleep and your mind is awake as per normal is by no means the definition of asleep, as I eluded to. It's more like a state of rest. Gaining that is therefore obtained through the process of learning deep relaxation.

Even enlightened people need to sleep. You can't get around it. You'll likely lose a lot of it practicing lucid dreaming which is mostly a pointless endeavor in any case.

I understood your statement shortly after posting my first reply but didn't feel like editing it. And I never stated that I "don't want to sleep". Thanks either way.

I know of one awakened person who doesn't 'black out' during sleep. He can even hear his body snoring and enjoys it. 

His path was one of mostly meditation. 

• Like 1

Time to live up to my username, at last. You can do sleep paralysis stuff but it leaves you super maladjusted and creates problems. Same with sensory deprivation tanks. This is why they do walking meditation in Zen and still you have to adjust to living naturally after that. All of these situations are not natural for your body.

Sleep is only effective when your brain is asleep, anyways. What's wrong with regular sleep?

Not that I do it but you could try waking up extra early (3:30, 4:30 am), so you're very sleepy.  Get in position, maybe start w/ back against a wall.  Listen to a short guided meditation or hypnotic script for sleep and try see if you can't fall asleep for a short nap period.