Sign in to follow this  
Apech

Take me to the cosmic vagina: inside Tibet's secret tantric temple

Interesting article in the Guardian.

The Dalai Lama also admitted there were many aspects of the murals Laird didn’t know about, and pointed him in the direction of the great Dzogchen master Namkhai Norbu. “So I rolled up my canvas and flew down to Venezuela and Namkhai Norbu came out with 100 of his students. He was the one who introduced me to the ‘cosmic vagina’,” laughs Laird. It’s something visitors to the exhibition should look out for, he says: a tiny detail that represents the beginning of the universe.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2015/nov/10/tibet-secret-tantric-murals-lukhang-temple

• Like 5

Looks good, I will go check it out in person. I didn't think the Tibetans were into Yoga much though, I guess it is Kum Nye.

Looks good, I will go check it out in person. I didn't think the Tibetans were into Yoga much though, I guess it is Kum Nye.

Wot!!!  Well I suppose it depends what you mean by yoga.  They didn't pose in spandex leotards - well not very often :)

Look. Tibetan Buddhism is a many layered 'approach' which is very particular/unique. Cosmic penises and vaginas are not out of place in their world :)

Does that mean that there is also a cosmic penis?

And which came first?

it's usually the guy.. :huh:

• Like 2

I went to this exhibition the other day, it is excellent and much bigger than I thought. At the end they have reproduced the upper sacred chamber which contains all the secret teachings, but because they have lights behind the murals you can see them in far more detail. They have illustrative drawings of teachings of 6 yogas, Dzogchen, Togal Visions, etc, I liked all the medical drawings and drawings of the energy anatomy.

Only on for another month till 28 Feb

497673668-observers-inspect-the-life-siz

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 2

Does that mean that there is also a cosmic penis?

And which came first?

Perhaps it´s an overly charitable view, but I¨m of the opinion that every penis is a cosmic penis.

• Like 1

I went to this exhibition the other day, it is excellent and much bigger than I thought ...

I went recently too.

I liked the intriguing naga references, from the mala made with snake vertebrae to the translation of The Lukhang as 'Temple to the Serpent Spirits'

Shame about the no photo policy.

• Like 3

Documentary on Tibet's Secret Temple:

Time flies - this was five years ago! Documentary too long? Particular sections viewable here: https://artvideolibrary.net/

Edited by rex
Added link/Expletive Deleted

Sign in to follow this