Sign in to follow this  
Everything

The Way

The Way that can be experienced is not true;

The world that can be constructed is not true.

The Way manifests all that happens and may happen;

The world represents all that exists and may exist.

To experience without intention is to sense the world;

To experience with intention is to anticipate the world.

These two experiences are indistinguishable;

Their construction differs but their effect is the same.

Beyond the gate of experience flows the Way,

Which is ever greater and more subtle than the world.

Is this translation wrong?

Edited by Everything

Can you tell us whose translation this is?

chinapage.com/gnl

From a guy called Peter A. Merel.

I hope the translation is wrong.

Edited by Everything

The Way that can be experienced is not true;

The world that can be constructed is not true.

The Way manifests all that happens and may happen;

The world represents all that exists and may exist.

To experience without intention is to sense the world;

To experience with intention is to anticipate the world.

These two experiences are indistinguishable;

Their construction differs but their effect is the same.

Beyond the gate of experience flows the Way,

Which is ever greater and more subtle than the world.

Is this translation wrong?

The work is open to interpretation and is not necessarily wrong. It is not however a translation I would enjoy.

As you point out in your opening post things are indeed a mess. They were in a mess when Lau Tze wrote  this work which is a diagnosis of the problem and the "way" to a cure.

He did not expect most of his audience to see the problem, let alone the cure.

"When a wise man hears of the Tao,

he immediately begins to live it.

When an average man hears of the Tao,

he believes some of it and doubts the rest.

When a foolish man hears of the Tao,

he laughs out loud at the very idea.

If it were not for that laugh,

it would not be the Tao."

To see things as they are with the clear sight of consciousness is the way of the sage. Do no make them better or worse than they are for that is the way of the fool.

The fool will also use mind altering substances in an attempt to provide clarity. This way leads to madness.

The work is open to interpretation and is not necessarily wrong. It is not however a translation I would enjoy.

As you point out in your opening post things are indeed a mess. They were in a mess when Lau Tze wrote this work which is a diagnosis of the problem and the "way" to a cure.

He did not expect most of his audience to see the problem, let alone the cure.

"When a wise man hears of the Tao,

he immediately begins to live it.

When an average man hears of the Tao,

he believes some of it and doubts the rest.

When a foolish man hears of the Tao,

he laughs out loud at the very idea.

If it were not for that laugh,

it would not be the Tao."

To see things as they are with the clear sight of consciousness is the way of the sage. Do no make them better or worse than they are for that is the way of the fool.

The fool will also use mind altering substances in an attempt to provide clarity. This way leads to madness.

Wow, thanks so much. You provide such clarity for me. Well I know I can recognize this what you're saying. The fool is the way of the fool.

So what is the way of the Dao?

So what is the way of the Dao?

Dao is the way or path. We are all on the same road but not necessarily en-route to the same destination.

Dao is the way or path. We are all on the same road but not necessarily en-route to the same destination.

Sometimes I worry about my destination being bad. But I don't know that either. Bad stuff happens. And we can't do much about that. It is frustrating, but that's just how the world works. Always the same thing anyway. I know I want peace and more understanding of people. More clarity and understanding. Better communication. Understanding people at a deeper level. Knowing that everything is alright. Less paranoia. A more peaceful life. Where people just approach each other easily.

Today I had a very big dog and this guy approached me to ask directions to the supermarket. He's ok with the dog. Trusting approaches like that. Would like to see more of that.

We had some visitors. I was lying in my dark room in bed, this kid came to my room peeking inside like a curious cat. See, trusting like that. No big monsters in my room. Curiosity is a good thing. Allows people to discover stuff.

I was a little harsh, "Close the door!" But he'll forgive me. I'll be alright. Sometimes we carve a path for our selves that has an unpleasant destination like that. Where as more trusting could open up to more positive possibilities.

I dunno about this Dao, I guess it's the way of life. This is kinda what my life is like.

My father spoke about closing doors to me. I have been blocking many paths for myself lately. Maybe I should open some doors for myself. It is healthy to be more socially open to my fellow humans. I think every relationship I start can be made to work. Just gotta see the value of eachother and bring that to the forefront.

Edited by Everything

Sign in to follow this