Metal Tao

Introducing myself.

Hello all!! My name is Bradley. I am from Charleston, SC.

It's hard for me to formulate exactly how I want to introduce myself so I'll make this short and to the point since I'm a pretty simple man.

I'm 24, I was born and raised Jewish, but never felt a grand connection with that practice..I found Daoism through picking up Chuang Tzu at the book store and thumbing through it...then eventually coming back to read it.

I had a good Jewish education, and I feel like knowing my own past albeit not agreeing with it has really helped shaped my idea of what I want in the future.

Let's see, I have a few hobbies, I play three instruments, piano, drums, and the saxophone. I love to write, especially poetry, I wrestled in high school and took fencing since the age of fourteen.

I hope to really reach out and make some like minded friends, or a little disagreement never hurt either!!!

Thanks!!!

• Like 1

Hello and welcome.

Thank you for joining us and thank you for the interesting introduction.

You are accepted and we are glad to have you as a member.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Chang and the TTB team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Metal Tao,

Good to have you here. I used to Fence in the past, what was your favourite weapon? Mine was definitely Epee - no question as to who had scored the point!

Hi MiffyMog!!

I much preferred the use of the sabre, I have use the epee and foil, but truly find a better sense of control regarding speed and accuracy with the sabre!

WHAT?  - 'better sense of control regarding speed and accuracy'

You guys just slash and cut! There's no accuracy!

:)

Hi, and welcome!

I don't know much about fencing, but I find the potential parallels between the fencing sabre and the chinese broadsword somewhat interesting. The chinese broadsword has one cutting edge, and is used for slicing and thrusting. Because it has a non-cutting edge, it can be used to touch the body by wrapping it around the body for defensive movements, and in conjunction with spinning movements, such that the sword might begin at the inside of a spiral and then whip out at any point unpredictably. Also the off-hand can be used to guide or enforce any sweeping or slicing movements by placing it on the non-cutting edge.

The broadsword is associated with the Metal phase, and that makes another interesting parallel to Metal Tao's name. This is not the stiff and rigid metal, but the soft and malleable that is constantly reshaping itself. The curving shape adds subtlety and unpredictability to the style.

I wonder if any of these aspects of the Chinese broadsword carry over to the nuances of the fencing sabre.

• Like 2

Welcome, Bradley!

I've got a brother in Goose Creek.

I took a fencing class my first semester of college and really liked it, enough to join the fencing club. I preferred the foil but I know I didn't spend enough time with sabre or epee to understand either.

Daeluin, awesome, I can tell you and I will get along very well. Interestingly enough I chose the name Metal Tao because I love metal music, I grew up on 70s/80s metal and while I appreciate all music, metal is definitely my favorite!!