AussieTrees

Horticulture,grow your veggies the tranquil path.

Off topic,well not really.

Growing and eating our food is less common than it once was,the era when nearly everyone had a veggie patch.

There is much serenity developed,tranquility flows naturally,universal energy is freely available making any work effortless,the absorption of the self which dissolves into the earth,this is blissful.

Did a couple of searches,couldn't find any topics on gardening,so here we are.

Mostly everyday we do a little bit around the garden,watering or weeding.

It is springtime,already got,pumpkins,some tomatoes,cucumber and watermelons growing,they still very small,fun watching them grow.

This year started using a small greenhouse cabinet,helps start the seedlings early.

Anyone can reply.

• Like 3

If you grow things yourself, and prepare them yourself, to eat, at least you know what you are putting in your self ! ;)

Seems that you just cannot trust any of the Food Manufacturers or outlets, these days.

Horse meat in Beef burgers, stuff labelled Organic, just so that they can charge extra for it !!

:angry::mellow::blink::wacko:

• Like 1

Masanobu Fukuoka

- VonKrankenhaus

Thankyou VonKrankenhaus,

Just had a read about Masanobu Fukuoka,very interesting.

No had not heard of him before.

I like making compost too .   

My biggest issue is water supply, my veggie garden isnt much below the water tank, so low pressure .

Although at the moment, it rained heavily yesterday, all night , a bit this dawn ... and the radar site shows a lot more to come . 

hey Aussie, what type of environment do you garden in ?   Mine is sub-tropical,

... something I noticed yesterday  .... our giant Sth American ice-cream bean trees  (pacay) started flowering - magnificent ! 

1050.496265755.custom.png

and also the ornamental  maroon lily pilli puffballs 

I cant find a pic of my one, which is deep maroon with with a bright yellow tip, but they are like these;

Sept+21+LillyP+001.jpg

8052274683_d8bd2379a6.jpg

Also the broad beans have started flowering  and the rosellas have started to take off .  .......  later - yum ! 

rosellaplantflowers.jpg?token=70GUrM9012

• Like 3

Hi Nungali,

South west vic,supposedly temperate,summers now to hot,winters to cold,best times Spring and autumn.

Sub-tropical,means you can grow,bananas and the like.We have an avacado tree,grown from seed.

Yeah,water is always an issue,it is raining right now,should get about 30mm over the next few days.

Really pleased for the neighbor,he planted two paddocks of lucerne/alfalfa and has been pumping water to his sprinklers just to get them germinated,you can see a green tinge to the otherwise bare paddocks,they should take off with this rain.

Lilly pilly,recently nearby neighbor showed seedlings that are growing underneath his lilly pilly hedge,potted them up,plan to plant similar front fence hedge.

How do you post such good photos,the iPad doesn't do as well.

• Like 1

Avacado tree,last year had about six avacado said,the tree was discovered like a treasure growing in the compost,must be about 15yo.post-112539-0-95047700-1446678458_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Aussie
  • Like 1

Hi Nungali,

South west vic,supposedly temperate,summers now to hot,winters to cold,best times Spring and autumn.

Sub-tropical,means you can grow,bananas and the like.We have an avacado tree,grown from seed.

Yeah,water is always an issue,it is raining right now,should get about 30mm over the next few days.

Really pleased for the neighbor,he planted two paddocks of lucerne/alfalfa and has been pumping water to his sprinklers just to get them germinated,you can see a green tinge to the otherwise bare paddocks,they should take off with this rain.

Lilly pilly,recently nearby neighbor showed seedlings that are growing underneath his lilly pilly hedge,potted them up,plan to plant similar front fence hedge.

How do you post such good photos,the iPad doesn't do as well.

copy and paste from google pics   ;)

Whats ya soil like ?    Alkaline ?  I have never worked with alkaline soils 

SW Vic eh ?   I used to live a little west of there .... north of Mt.  Gambia just into S.A.   ....      urk !    - Western Flat it was called ... yep, west ... and flat  ;

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-36.5289886,140.8021104,649a,20y,270h,81.67t/data=!3m1!1e3

• Like 1

Thanks Nungali,

Mostly neutral soils,some patches of acidic and natural salty areas.Just north of us they have large deposits of aglime so they can grow crops without having to add any.

Still have not mastered the photo upload,copy and paste,will try again another day.

Edited by Aussie

Home grown bonsai.post-112539-0-65305200-1446708689_thumb.jpeg

Since posting this photo,thoughts have been stirring,like where did this tree come from,well this is a pine nut tree,grown from seed,the seed was collected from a mature pine nut tree that we also grew from seed,bought via post,so this tree is second generation living with us.

Edited by Aussie

Usually I create compost full of leaves and coffee grounds way earlier, but this year its been so warm most trees are just beginning to shed.  So instead of my usual scooping up leaves a month earlier and mixing them with grass and coffee grounds, today I some what half assed, shoveled a layer of leaves on my 2 small gardens (wish there was more grass mixed in), put a layer of coffee grounds on top (thank you Starbucks) and had some left over bagged dirt that I put spread over that and watered it down.  Probably not the best compost plan, but it'll have to do. 

In the Midwest its very important to cover up the garden if you can.  Protects it from the harsh winter sun that dries and sterilizes the topmost layer, insulates the soil from the frost and slowly becomes compost over winter and early spring. 

I grow a gazpacho garden.  Tomatoes (mostly cherry sized), cucumbers, various peppers.  Last year had great success with brussel sprouts but couldn't find any this year.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Gardening.

As with any cultivation,matters not how good or otherwise we are,what matters is that we practice.

It is your garden,so really there is no need for planning,just start gardening.

There are many distractions,so it is rare to complete a task all in one go,so do a little daily.

Breathing is very important when physically active,and of course at all other times as well.

Universal energy helps the gardener,especially during vigorous activity,stop 'take a breather',observe where you are,what sounds can you hear,look up in the sky,a jet is going by,leaving a trail of jet cloud,without even noticing you have recovered your strength.

Then as always,you will be dragged back,by whatever interruption possible,during that transition you realise that you have been elsewhere,who has been gardening,no not I.

These are the moments of bliss.

• Like 2

What about 'hermetic gardening' ?  Here is an interesting one.

The farm is an entity, upside down ,with its head in the ground.   (or words to that effect )  'Agricultural Lectures' - Rudolph Steiner .

What do you make of that 'wacky'  statement ?  

• Like 2

Usually I create compost full of leaves and coffee grounds way earlier, but this year its been so warm most trees are just beginning to shed.  So instead of my usual scooping up leaves a month earlier and mixing them with grass and coffee grounds, today I some what half assed, shoveled a layer of leaves on my 2 small gardens (wish there was more grass mixed in), put a layer of coffee grounds on top (thank you Starbucks) and had some left over bagged dirt that I put spread over that and watered it down.  Probably not the best compost plan, but it'll have to do. 

In the Midwest its very important to cover up the garden if you can.  Protects it from the harsh winter sun that dries and sterilizes the topmost layer, insulates the soil from the frost and slowly becomes compost over winter and early spring. 

I grow a gazpacho garden.  Tomatoes (mostly cherry sized), cucumbers, various peppers.  Last year had great success with brussel sprouts but couldn't find any this year.

Thanks thelerner,

Yes we agree,compost is good stuff,helps protect from hot sun and breaks down feeding your plants.

Recently chopped heaps of organic matter from those white lily,the ones with the yellow centre stalk,they had already flowered and were horizontal anyway,placed them directly into a new garden bed and covered them with soil.

When you mention say peppers,do you mean chilli?

Tomatoes are good fun,ours are flowering now,should get tomatoes by xmas,that was grandfathers aim each year.

Never tried growing brussel sprouts before,imagine they would be excellent when fresh.

Now get lost,in your garden.

What about 'hermetic gardening' ?  Here is an interesting one.

The farm is an entity, upside down ,with its head in the ground.   (or words to that effect )  'Agricultural Lectures' - Rudolph Steiner .

What do you make of that 'wacky'  statement ?  

Thanks Nungali,

Rudolph Steiner,that's the guy who created that fertiliser,using cow manure,never tried it,mainly because we don't have the equipment for spraying,much to read,some farmers do practice these methods with good results.

His ideas are very radical and prescriptive in when and how to spray his fertiliser.

The benefits are reduced expense on fertiliser and promotes productive soils in the longer term.

What's an ice cream bean,sounds good.

Peppers, my favorite are giant size jalapenos.  They're big, firm and not as hot as normal size so they're very flexible.  I'll also buy a couple of various medium heat peppers.

Brussel Sprouts also look cool, very round and with distinct levels, like a tall circular parking lot.  I don't want to give up the space for them, but I like the look and taste of asparagus, but they take up alot of room and need a year or two before they mature.

• Like 1

Propagation with cuttings.

Yesterday cut suckers around fig tree and decided to pot them up,making a whole new plant.

This process is still very fascinating,when successful creates a clone of so called mother plant,another whole new plant.

How is the plant chi effected by that?

Also have been trying not yet successful in doing similar with our avacado tree.Have been trying this airated cutting process,after choosing a branch to work on,cut about half of bark on one side about an inch or more,then wrap plastic kitchen wrap around some peat or use potting mix.

After a few weeks a callas developes which is where the roots can sprout from,then you cut below callas and pot up,fingers crossed.

A nurseryman once told that it was not possible to make clone cutting from a avacado tree,so this has become something of a challenge.

Really it is not that difficult,many plants especially tomatoes grow easily from a cutting,buy one grafted tomatoe and it is possible to multiply this many times,have a 'gross liss' tomatoe at present already have 9 clones.

These cutting are supported by the universal energy,very fascinating.

Edited by Aussie

Peppers, my favorite are giant size jalapenos.  They're big, firm and not as hot as normal size so they're very flexible.  I'll also buy a couple of various medium heat peppers.

Brussel Sprouts also look cool, very round and with distinct levels, like a tall circular parking lot.  I don't want to give up the space for them, but I like the look and taste of asparagus, but they take up alot of room and need a year or two before they mature.

Thankyou thelerner,

Jalapeño have a nice flavour without being to hot.

We have two asparagus crowns,only just starting to get some harvest from them,had them for years.

Over the winter have been buying fresh chillies,and have managed to germinate a few varieties from the fresh seed,also did the same with capsicums,busily getting garden beds ready and for the weather to warm,chilli needs warm weather.

Also have germinated this chilli tree that is cold tolerant and long lived from South America mountain regions,cuttings have also developed roots,these chillies are really hot.

The brusell sprouts would be a cold climate plant?

• Like 1

Thanks Nungali,

Rudolph Steiner,that's the guy who created that fertiliser,using cow manure,never tried it,mainly because we don't have the equipment for spraying,much to read,some farmers do practice these methods with good results.

Ohhh spray schmay !   You can just dip a tree branch in the solution and walk around sprinkling it.   It isnt like fertilizer  or an insecticide ... no need to spray, more like  'asperge' .  People spray it to do large areas, usually on cereal crops.  You do need a sprayer for the other mixture  (501 made from quartz) as it treats the atmosphere, the cow manure one (500) goes on the ground .... besides  - under $50 ;

sprayer-hand-650-ml.jpg  SKU031532%20.1.jpg

or   

_9152452_orig.jpg

or get creatiive by combining the above with a leaf blower   ;)

His ideas are very radical and prescriptive in when and how to spray his fertiliser.

Well,  they should be.  Gardening can be done by working with the 'cosmic energies' ... especially the multiple Moon rhythms . 

Gardeners used to know this stuff ... its not specific to Steiner . 

The benefits are reduced expense on fertiliser and promotes productive soils in the longer term.

and many other benefits ... like not clagging up our waterways with phosphorus  and other chemical run offs,  better NPK balance, etc etc 

What's an ice cream bean,sounds good.

Pacay - Inga feuilleei 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inga_feuilleei

very yum ... a great tree if there are kids around. 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Ohhh spray schmay !   You can just dip a tree branch in the solution and walk around sprinkling it.   It isnt like fertilizer  or an insecticide ... no need to spray, more like  'asperge' .  People spray it to do large areas, usually on cereal crops.  You do need a sprayer for the other mixture  (501 made from quartz) as it treats the atmosphere, the cow manure one (500) goes on the ground .... besides  - under $50 ;

sprayer-hand-650-ml.jpg  SKU031532%20.1.jpg

or   

_9152452_orig.jpg

or get creatiive by combining the above with a leaf blower   ;)

Well,  they should be.  Gardening can be done by working with the 'cosmic energies' ... especially the multiple Moon rhythms . 

Gardeners used to know this stuff ... its not specific to Steiner . 

and many other benefits ... like not clagging up our waterways with phosphorus  and other chemical run offs,  better NPK balance, etc etc 

Pacay - Inga feuilleei 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inga_feuilleei

very yum ... a great tree if there are kids around. 

Thanks Nungali,

Do you make your own or can you buy?

Start with cow horn,fill with cow manure in late autumn,then bury over winter then transformation has occurred,the cow dung is now ready to dilute and spray,or something like that,remember there is a ritual spin routine where there is dramatic change in spin direction,creating chaos then order,will have another read.

Chilli tree is sprouting from cuttings and from seed,very excited,haha

Chilli and capsicum.

Over the weekend finished preparing a new garden space and planted seedlings grown from seed collected from purchased chilli.

Also capsicum grown from seed from a big store bought fruit or is that vegie.

Planted clump of three South American tree chilli,cold tolerant and can persist for many years.

After much activity enjoying increased energy flows,felt pumped,slept well that night.

During all this activity,not interrupted very often,well you just forget to eat,one meal a day has helped increase energies.

Thanks Nungali,

Do you make your own or can you buy?

Start with cow horn,fill with cow manure in late autumn,then bury over winter then transformation has occurred,the cow dung is now ready to dilute and spray,or something like that,remember there is a ritual spin routine where there is dramatic change in spin direction,creating chaos then order,will have another read.

Chilli tree is sprouting from cuttings and from seed,very excited,haha

Missed this.

Ummm , yes.  I made my own, which was for BD Australia when I worked for them, and if I bought it, that would have been it. It can still be bought there,its still 'theirs' but someone else makes it  ....  :blink:   .

... yep ... and some would  go <sniff sniff ... or whatever ... 'feel vibe'  >  "Oh ... this is  Fred's 500 and not Greg's    ! "  (names have been changed to protect the .... )    :D

I tended not to make it here  as other places are better ... for a start, its best to use the manure from a cow, in milk, that is a BD cow , eating BD pasture ... and so on.  If you have your own BD farm, its a lot easier.  Also the right place to bury it ... lots of issues there too .  Also storage . 

So ... 'start with a cow horn'  - its a bit more complex than that ... but one has to start the circle somewhere. 

I think the spin part is important. My first one and a thunderstorm came up, full on lightening .... it was pretty cool.   Also I noticed the water 'changed' after stirring a bit. 

• Like 1

I am jealous ... I just cannot grow capsicum here .

Its not just the soil, I did an experiment in potting mix and a pot , it went well first of all  and I thought I was right about soil root nematodes ... it did heaps better than the ones in the garden.  But then it got hot, it poured rain, it got humid, the fruit stopped growing and got soggy spots, fell off and    :(

• Like 1

Yeah hi Nungali,

So what's the deal,are you using bio-dynamic methods?

Nematodes,we get em here as well,try growing marigold flowers as companion plant,

This is supposed to reduce nematodes.

Do you grow avacado or mango or banana?

The brusell sprouts would be a cold climate plant?

I didn't do brussel sprouts this year, but my friend did.  He's way more conscientiousness a gardener then I am.  He was plucking the bottom sprouts out in mid summer and apparently they grow back, so he's gotten a second crop out them in late October.  The school near me has garden and they have some small brusel sprouts that are still going strong now, in late November.  It's been a long fall.  As I recall many will wait til the first snow fall to pick there sprouts, but they seem most tender when they're young. 

• Like 1