Sign in to follow this  
MooNiNite

flouride - putting it in the water

The purpose of this thread is to gather information about Flouride. And whether or not people agree with the government charging money to put it in our water.

I am for it. 

Fluoride in Water  http://www.ada.org/en/public-programs/advocating-for-the-public/fluoride-and-fluoridation

A new study in JADA shows that water fluoridation is a cost effective and equitable solution. Read more.

The 70th Anniversary Fluoridation Celebration and Symposium presentations are now available.

See the Presentations

Fluoride in Water is Safe and It Works

More than 70 years of scientific research has consistently shown that an optimal level of fluoride in community water is safe and effective in preventing tooth decay by at least 25% in both children and adults. Simply by drinking water, Americans can benefit from

whether they are at home, work or school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention named community water fluoridation one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century.

5 Reasons Why Fluoride in Water is Good for Communities

1. Prevents tooth decay. Fluoride in water is the most efficient way to prevent one of the most common childhood diseases – tooth decay. An estimated 51 million school hours and 164 million work hours are lost each year due to dental-related illness. Community water fluoridation is so effective at preventing tooth decay that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention named it one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century.
  1. Protects all ages against cavities. Studies show that fluoride in community water systems prevents at least 25 percent of tooth decay in children and adults, even in an era with widespread availability of fluoride from other sources, such as fluoride toothpaste.
  1. Safe and effective. For 70 years, the best available scientific evidence consistently indicates that community water fluoridation is safe and effective. It has been endorsed by numerous U.S. Surgeons General, and more than 100 health organizations recognize the health benefits of water fluoridation for preventing dental decay, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Medical Association, the World Health Organization, the American Dental Association, and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
  1. Saves money. The average lifetime cost per person to fluoridate a water supply is less than the cost of one dental filling. For most cities, every $1 invested in water fluoridation saves $38 in dental treatment costs.
  1. It’s natural. Fluoride is naturally present in groundwater and the oceans. Water fluoridation is the adjustment of fluoride to a recommended level for preventing tooth decay. It’s similar to fortifying other foods and beverages, like fortifying salt with iodine, milk with vitamin D, orange juice with calcium and bread with folic acid
Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

The ADA "might not" be an honest, objective source of info. Not the CDC, either. Neither of these will go against US policy, as their purpose is to uphold it and promote US corporate interests and standards, not those of any subject individual or being, nor in service of plain fact.

This is like asking the guy selling you a car "is this a good car?" - He will say "yes, of course".

Many independent mechanics may take exception and point out many things the salesman might "miss".

Dosing people with fluoride sourced from industrial waste, and classified as a neurotoxin, and registered as a rat poison - to attain a supposed 1.xx% less dental cavities is nonsense.

Fluoride has been implicated in a number of illnesses, and the most prevalent of them is fluorosis - flaking and pitting of tooth enamel.

Both aluminum and fluoride are being studied as implicated in alzheimer's disease.

By dosing people in water, they make no allowance for an individual's real fluoride exposure.

White grape juice concentrate, for example, is almost like liquid fluoride. If children are drinking this, and also using fluoride toothpaste, and also getting periodically over-dosed by pediatric dentists, and it is also in every glass of water they drink and all foods made with water - then it is a sure bet that they are being harmed mentally and physically by accumulation.

We avoid it very seriously. It is for Fools.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 4

I am for it. 

Fluoride in Water  http://www.ada.org/en/public-programs/advocating-for-the-public/fluoride-and-fluoridation

A new study in JADA shows that water fluoridation is a cost effective and equitable solution. Read more.

The 70th Anniversary Fluoridation Celebration and Symposium presentations are now available.

See the Presentations

Fluoride in Water is Safe and It Works

More than 70 years of scientific research has consistently shown that an optimal level of fluoride in community water is safe and effective in preventing tooth decay by at least 25% in both children and adults. Simply by drinking water, Americans can benefit from

whether they are at home, work or school. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention named community water fluoridation one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century.

5 Reasons Why Fluoride in Water is Good for Communities

1. Prevents tooth decay. Fluoride in water is the most efficient way to prevent one of the most common childhood diseases – tooth decay. An estimated 51 million school hours and 164 million work hours are lost each year due to dental-related illness. Community water fluoridation is so effective at preventing tooth decay that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention named it one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century.
  1. Protects all ages against cavities. Studies show that fluoride in community water systems prevents at least 25 percent of tooth decay in children and adults, even in an era with widespread availability of fluoride from other sources, such as fluoride toothpaste.
  1. Safe and effective. For 70 years, the best available scientific evidence consistently indicates that community water fluoridation is safe and effective. It has been endorsed by numerous U.S. Surgeons General, and more than 100 health organizations recognize the health benefits of water fluoridation for preventing dental decay, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Medical Association, the World Health Organization, the American Dental Association, and the American Academy of Pediatrics.
  1. Saves money. The average lifetime cost per person to fluoridate a water supply is less than the cost of one dental filling. For most cities, every $1 invested in water fluoridation saves $38 in dental treatment costs.
  1. It’s natural. Fluoride is naturally present in groundwater and the oceans. Water fluoridation is the adjustment of fluoride to a recommended level for preventing tooth decay. It’s similar to fortifying other foods and beverages, like fortifying salt with iodine, milk with vitamin D, orange juice with calcium and bread with folic acid

So you only like it because of its benefits towards the teeth?

This guy seems pretty adamant that fluoride water leads to cancer and death.

However, I'm open to ideas as to why water fluoridation could be beneficial 

Edited by MooNiNite

This documentary explains that it is actually a chemical waste product. 

They explain this is actually how we obtain flouride for our drinking water:

"Flouride is produced as an industrial byproduct of the phosphate mining industry. Decades ago, fluoride used to be released into the air through the smokestacks of phosphatemining operations, but this resulted in the widespread death of cattle and plants on nearby farms and ranches. To stop the deaths, phosphate mining companies installed “wet scrubbers” that captured thetoxic fluoride chemical vapors.

While consumers might think that deadly fluoride chemicals captured in these wet scrubbers are disposed of as hazardous industrial waste, the surprising truth is that they are sold to cities and towns as “fluoride” to be dumped into the local water supply where they are consumed by adults and children."

http://www.infowars.com/documentary-exposes-fluoride-truth-industrial-waste-passed-off-as-medicine/

• Like 1

Sodium fluoride is a naturally occurring chemical in groundwater. When it's produced as an industrial byproduct it is exactly the same substance, it is exactly the same stuff you'd get drinking straight from a spring in the Scottish highlands so why does it matter that it's a byproduct of phosphate mining? It has exactly the same structure and properties. 

Being scared of fluoride in your water because it's derived from industrial waste is like being scared of the salt on your chips because it's identical to what you'd get from mixing sodium and hydrochloric acid. 'But it's industrial waste' is nothing but an emotional argument to get people who don't understand basic chemistry to say 'ew'.

[...]Dosing people with fluoride sourced from industrial waste, and classified as a neurotoxin, and registered as a rat poison - to attain a supposed 1.xx% less dental cavities is nonsense.[...]

Neurotoxin, rat poison... at what doses? The lethal dose for a 70kg human is estimated at 5-10g. The concentration put in tap water is on the order of parts per million, right? 

• Like 2

Re:

-----

"Sodium fluoride is a naturally occurring chemical in groundwater. When it's produced as an industrial byproduct it is exactly the same substance, it is exactly the same stuff you'd get drinking straight from a spring in the Scottish highlands so why does it matter that it's a byproduct of phosphate mining? It has exactly the same structure and properties."

-----

Show us the "natural" prevalence of fluorosilicic acid: hexafluorosilicic, hexafluosilicic, hydrofluosilicic, and silicofluoric acid.

Tell us how these compounds are found in nature and where.

Show us how these are exactly the same as calcium fluoride.

Show us a lab report showing the same fluoride compounds in Scottish Highland spring water.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 3

Isn't it one bit odd how people can think that a government that subsidizes the production and distribution of refined sugar is somehow concerned about preventing tooth cavities, especially in poorer demographics?

Anyone believe that concern is genuine?
Because if so, isn't it so contradictory as to be irrational?

And isn't it funny that after more than half a century of fluoridation that a massive dental industry is still existing and doing millions of tooth repairs, dental implants, etc?

And that all this repair is happening in the places that are fluoridated?

The ONLY people I have ever seen with ZERO dental work and ALL healthy teeth - not from those areas at all.

Isn't it odd that these fluoridated areas also have the most behavioral problems, most retarded children, and highest numbers of autism cases - all the while doing the most massive dental work on people as well?

If fluoride is preventing any cavities, why then is all this restorative and cosmetic dentistry going on?

We can observe many many people with tooth problems and repairs.
We observe practically nobody in modern areas as having perfect teeth that have never been repaired.

We can observe a mountain of cases of mental disturbances that correlate with fluoride exposure beginning just after fluoridation began and skyrocketing to present time.

Is it even logically possible to say what "prevented" some thing that didn't happen?

No. But that's the logic used in explaining the supposed "benefits" of fluoride, and vaccines, etc, etc.

Look instead at what DID happen. Much easier. Much more revealing.

-VonKrankenhaus

• Like 2

Drinking naturally occurring Fluoride in Spring Water is fine for those who drink spring water in the wild or at home in a Plastic Bottle.

I'd prefer that Governments didn't have the authority to add things willy-nilly to my Domestic Water.

Filtering out impurities & little critters...I'm a little more comfortable with.

Adding Chemicals to everyone's Water because THEY THINK it'll be better for kids teeth, is going too far!

Parents should teach their kids to brush their teeth, if THEY decide to use Fluoride Toothpaste then that's down to them.

Perhaps the only answer is to have all new homes fitted with water Filters.

• Like 2

Perhaps the only answer is to have all new homes fitted with water Filters.

Hopefully we are not dumb enough to do that. What i mean is, we pay the government thousands of dollars just to ADD the fluoride. To then pay money to take it out...its like craziness. 

Probably cheaper if we all donate a few coins & get somebody to "Take Out" the Government. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

(In a Peaceful, Daoist, non-Lethal way, of course) ;)

HA !!

• Like 1

The purpose of this thread is to gather information about Flouride. And whether or not people agree with the government charging money to put it in our water.

The adding of flouride to the drinking water of a nation must amount to the ultimate action of the Nanny State.

It is nothing more or less than a case of "we know what is best for you and you will get it whether you want it or not."

Charging a price for the adulterated result is simply adding insult to injury; much like the Chinese state charging the families of felons for the bullets used to execute them.

Such a situation can never be just and I will add the fact that when, at a future date, the harmful effects of flouridation are proved beyond doubt, those responsible will never be called to account.

• Like 2

Almost as bad as Soft Drinks companies charging us all a fortune for bottled Tap Water !! 

Interesting viewpoint:

"Ingesting Fluoride in large quantities on the regular is agreeably bad for you, but having it in your tooth paste or for a moment to rinse your mouth is actually good for your teeth as Fluoride binds with the calcium in your teeth to make them stronger. Also, note: City Water has been "Fluoridated" but it does NOT contain "Fluoride" it contains "Fluorine" which is 1 atom different than Chlorine, which is a antiseptic and kills bacteria, which is why it is used in city water. Non Flouridated water would be an even bigger issue for us than not. The whole debate over Fluoridation is for the most part....hyperbole from people who don't understand science."

I don't mind a small amount being in my toothpaste, but drinking it is slow poisoning. There's no need for me to have it traveling through my entire body when its only use is to prevent tooth decay.

Good documentary I saw recently about the dangers of fluoride:

Another good reference for people who want to try to detox from fluoride/decalcify the pineal gland: http://decalcifypinealgland.com/

Fortunately, a lot of countries are ending fluoridation.  Even in the U.S., a few cities like Portland have stopped fluoridating.  Source: http://fluoridealert.org/content/communities_2010/

• Like 2

I don't mind a small amount being in my toothpaste, but drinking it is slow poisoning. There's no need for me to have it traveling through my entire body when its only use is to prevent tooth decay.

There are plenty of toothpaste companies that have "fluoride-free" options.  Chemicals are absorbed very efficiently sublingually (under the tongue) and can go right to the  brain more efficiently.  This is how a lot of native populations would test new plant medicines they encounter - by holding it in their mouth, and feeling its effects a little bit and intuitively deciding if it is a helpful or harmful plant for them.  After that, they could decide to spit it out or eat it, if they wanted to. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublingual_administration

Edited by futuredaze

There are plenty of toothpaste companies that have "fluoride-free" options.  Chemicals are absorbed very efficiently sublingually (under the tongue) and can go right to the  brain more efficiently.  This is how a lot of native populations would test new plant medicines they encounter - by holding it in their mouth, and feeling its effects a little bit and intuitively deciding if it is a helpful or harmful plant for them.  After that, they could decide to spit it out or eat it, if they wanted to. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublingual_administration

I've never had success with a fluoride-free toothpaste. My teeth began to hurt when using them. The amount in regular toothpaste is minuscule compared to what's in tap water.

That is strange, I never had that problem.  I grew up on mainstream toothpaste like Crest and it was easy for me to switch over.  Are your teeth pretty healthy to begin with, then?

That is strange, I never had that problem.  I grew up on mainstream toothpaste like Crest and it was easy for me to switch over.  Are your teeth pretty healthy to begin with, then?

They are pretty healthy...few cavities in my life.

Sign in to follow this