ilumairen

strange emotions that do have names

A friend shared this today; I don't know where she got it, but it's kind of interesting.

post-113839-0-64894700-1446146742_thumb.jpg

Edited by Des
  • Like 3

Wow, I love this. My (German) wife says I used to display Mauerbauertraurigkeit, but that it's not a known German word.

Mauer = wall

Bauer = builder

Traurigkeit = unhappiness

So, you build the walls, but aren't happpy about it.

Prettty cool. Again what learned.

• Like 2

I like these too. I think they're all recent inventions, but it makes the experiences/feelings no less relatable, and some of the words used are quite lovely.

sonder, opia, monachopsis, jouska, chrysalism, rukkehrunruhe, nodus tollens, occhiolism... experienced all of these!

• Like 1

I liked those definitions so much I scanned and OCR'd the file so I could read it better....... 

EMOTIONS PEOPLE FEEL, BUT CAN'T EXPLAIN

tai-korcza.

1. Sonder: The realization that each passerby has a life as vivid and complex as your own.

2. Opla: The ambiguous intensity of Looking someone in the eye. which can feel simultaneously invasive and vulnerable.

3. Monachopsis: The subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place.

4. Enouement: The bittersweetness of Having arrived in the future, seeing now things turn out. out not being able to tell your past self.

5. Vellichor: The strange wistfulness of used bookshops.

6. Rubatosis: The unsettling awareness o' your own Heartbeat.

7. Kenopsla: The eerie, forlorn atmosphere of a place that is usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet.

8. Mauerbauertraurigkeit: The inexplicable urge to push people away. even close friends who you really like.

9. Jouska: A hypothetical conversation that you compulsively play out in your head.

10. Chrysalism: The amniotic tranquillity of being indoors during a thunderstorm.

11. Vemodalen: The frustration of photographing something amazing when thousands of identical photos already exist.

12. Anecdoche: A conversation in which everyone is talking, but nobody is listening.

13. Ellipsism: A sadness that you’ll never be able to know how history will turn out.

14. Kuebiko: A state of exhaustion inspired by acts of senseless violence.

15. Lachesism: The desire to be struck by disaster - to survive a plane crash, or to lose everything in a fire.

16. Exulansis: The tendency to give up trying to talk about an experience, because people are unable to relate to it.

17. Adronitis: Frustration with now long it takes to get to know someone.

18. Ruckkohrunruha: The feeling of returning home after an immersive trip only to find it facing rapidly from your awareness.

19. Nodus Tollens: The realization that the plot of your life doesn't make sense to you anymore.

20. Onism: The frustration of being stuck in just one body, that inhabits only one place at a time.

21, Liberosis: The desire to care less about things.

22. Altschmerz: Weariness with the same old issues that you've always had - the same boring flaws and anxieties that you've been gnawing on for years.

23. Occhiolism: The awareness of the smallness of your perspective.

• Like 5

Saudade

Saudade is a word in Portuguese and Galician (from which it entered Spanish) that claims no direct translation in English. It describes a deep emotional state of nostalgic or profound melancholic longing for an absent something or someone that one loves. Moreover, it often carries a repressed knowledge that the object of longing might never return. A stronger form of saudade might be felt towards people and things whose whereabouts are unknown, such as a lost lover, or a family member who has gone missing, moved away, separated, or died.

Saudade was once described as "the love that remains" after someone is gone. Saudade is the recollection of feelings, experiences, places or events that once brought excitement, pleasure, well-being, which now triggers the senses and makes one live again. It can be described as an emptiness, like someone (e.g., one's children, parents, sibling, grandparents, friends, pets) or something (e.g., places, things one used to do in childhood, or other activities performed in the past) that should be there in a particular moment is missing, and the individual feels this absence. It brings sad and happy feelings all together, sadness for missing and happiness for having experienced the feeling.

(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudade )

• Like 2

I'm sure we've all experienced saudade. Will add that to my vocabulary.

I think this all goes to show just how thin and inadequate English, or any other individual language, is..

• Like 2

I'm sure we've all experienced saudade. Will add that to my vocabulary.

I think this all goes to show just how thin and inadequate English, or any other individual language, is..

I'm most definitely twice the man with two languages than I ever was with one. Or something like that. 

• Like 1

sehnsucht - That's a fabulous one.

I've had dreams about Mars, where it's like multiple times overlaying together, and everything is empty and dusty, and it feels like souls from millions of years ago are calling me like it's home, but it can never be again. It feels so powerful, the nostalgia and longing and grief and something more. A bit like "Saudade" if you could add millions of years and one of the greatest tragedies in the solar system to it.

Edited by redcairo
  • Like 1