Sign in to follow this  
AussieTrees

Wild parrots

Cool . I get them also the giant black ones. before rain comes they flap around and shriek, then you can hear them in the yard, up in the trees ripping tree limbs apart .... pretty strong they are too !  I will find a branch on the ground and you can see each single bite on it, like a router, all the way to the center where the grub was  .

All my pets are feral pets (except for the ponds and tanks ) ... the best sort , they work for their treats, and one can just leave and they look after themselves. But they are there for fun when you want it .

I explained this to my GF once and she looked at me sus and said  " That's what I am to you, aren't I , a feral pet ? "

I ... um .... er .....   :D    (she even wrote a song about that and it   called  'feral pet'  - it was pretty funny. )

At the moment the silky oak has flowered and the multi colored parrots are having a ball, they are everywhere. And I am on the tail end of letting the grass seed, which attracted a lot of crimson rozellas  - love them and their  call ! 

Crimson-Rosellas-10152244-resized.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Nungali,

Years ago I grew some pine nut trees from seed,they are still growing well.

Never get many pine nuts cause the black cockys,rip the cones open and get the pine nut.

They are shy,so don't see them much,usually they can heard.

We have these gang gang cockatoos,similar to galah,bit darker,they rip through the tree tops eating seeds.

Do you get King parrots,they sometimes fly into the shed,all fun to watch.

Yep .... heaps of birds here, it is a boundary between north and south species and many cross over here.   

I like these guys , regent bowerbird

3827853485_4cb466856b.jpg

• Like 2

Even in the cold Midwest we have Parrots!  Seems after a home breakout a few nesting pairs have been thriving for 40 years in Chicago's southern suburb of Hyde Park. 

The first pair of monk parakeets was discovered in Hyde Park in 1973. The trees and green spaces maintained by the University of Chicago provided them with the wide diet they prefer and the ability to build their eye-popping nests where as many as 10 pairs of birds can live at a time, allowing them to make it through the cold months. But the parakeets’ biggest threat all this time has been man.  The Hyde Park parakeets are watched over by the University and local bird clubs. But the species has also been spotted at Rowan Park on the Far Southeast Side and downtown.

During the spring and summer they find plenty of food. In the video below, a monk parakeet enjoys eating a dandelion.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Here is an unusual parrot - kakapo;  flightless, ground - dwelling,  nocturnal , only lives in NZ, world's only nocturnal flightless parrot, can weigh up to 4 kg. , walks and jumps feeding on the ground

anigif_enhanced-1701-1394447595-1.gif

but can climb 20 mt. up a tree, have a sub-sonic boom call that travel up to 7 km. 

http://kakaporecovery.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/bill-boom-1.mp3

and another call that sounds like a broken gate being dragged open :)

http://kakaporecovery.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/skraark.mp3

Looks unusual

enhanced-buzz-3003-1394112659-9.jpg

and can get a bit 'frisky'

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this