emeiwudang

tai chi whitey

Hello tao bums. Im just a regular guy whp started askimg last year, at the age of 34, what is the meaning of my own life. I had many years agp read a book by dr yang jwing ming and it had said tai chi is a path to understanding the meaning of our lives. So determined i sold all of my possesions except my tavel trailer, quit a lucrative job in the oil industry and moved to an isolated peice of land in southern oregon and began practicing embryonic breathing and yang style tai chi from books and dvds. Im happy to train at the ymaa retreat center in december for two weeks. Taoism has always drawn me since the first time i read the tao te ching. I know noone whp is a taoist, most of my friends are christian or atheist, so i hope to find like minded people to help me on my path. Thank you for reading, i hope to make many friends here.

• Like 3

Hello and welcome. You are accepted. Glad to have you as a member. You will find no shortage here of those seeking the meaning of life.

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules. This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Chang and the TTB team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Like 2

Ha ha - No. That answer is inside you :) But there are some good ones here about many random topics that may help you find that answer ... I hope ...

• Like 1

Well so much for the easy fortune cookie answer. Lol Im really grateful to be here. In two days ive found pages of answers to questions ive long pondered. So far ive inverted my tai chi practice to include chai tea practice with great results. I suppose the rest will brew naturally

• Like 1

Hello emeiwudang, welcome to the forum.

I am a 45 years old Swiss counsellor and alternative therapist with a vivid interest in Daoism and martial arts my teenage years. My active interest particularly in Taiji is of a more recent date. Not least a lucid dream experience in an astral/etheric dimension sparked it. I also found much of interest in the books by Jwing Ming Yang. I now practice Yang style Taiji according to Montaigue, currently also just using videos and books, but probably soon supported by private live lessons on Skype.

I look forward to further exchange.

Michael

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

Nice that sounds familiar. I was raised a jehovahs witness which is for all rights a cult, so when i left at 18 there was a vacuum im my life that martial arts helped me fill. I was more the mma type until last year. What i have learned in one year is that tai chi is not linear and that if i just do it everyday i dont have to worry about results which is quite opposite from kickboxing or jiu jitsu. Also as far as ive been able to tell, the meaning of life is to live.

• Like 1

Nice that sounds familiar. I was raised a jehovahs witness which is for all rights a cult, so when i left at 18 there was a vacuum im my life that martial arts helped me fill. I was more the mma type until last year. What i have learned in one year is that tai chi is not linear and that if i just do it everyday i dont have to worry about results which is quite opposite from kickboxing or jiu jitsu. Also as far as ive been able to tell, the meaning of life is to live.

You're on the right path now brother

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome. Any suggestions on finding a good thread pertaining to the meaning of life?

You   can find meaning of life only and only from that perspective of that writer which more often than not may be foreign to your own meaning of life.

You must search for meaning of life not as a destination, but as a Path that you walk yourself.  Bear in mind the journey is as much if not more than that destination.  That pot of gold at end of the rainbow might well be the path to that pot of gold.

As for your other path on taijichuan, I can only say you will not find the way via books or videos.  Those books and videos will more likely  cloak your path with darkness than illuminate the way for you.

Check what I wrote in this thread.  Not that I think what I wrote can show you that path either.  But might give you some food for thoughts or make you ROFLYAO.

http://thedaobums.com/topic/24575-taijiquan-styles/page-4

and

http://www.shanlung.com/oldtaijichuan.html

Oh yes!  Welcome to this mad gathering of mad bums your parents forgot to warn you about.

Idiotic Taoist wondering about the meaning of life and what is all that about

Edited by shanlung
  • Like 1

Thanks i read your posts. Im very fortunate to be able to train with doctor yang for two weeks this December at his retreat. While i realize reading and videos are not the best training method i live in a remote area and they are all i have. I hope to have a foundation to build off.

• Like 1