Aston%2BMartin%2BVantage%2BRed%2BBull%2BRacing%2BEditions%2B-18.jpg  

2011-Aston-Martin-V8-Vantage-N420-6.jpg

ASTON-MARTIN-V8-Vantage-S-4374_50.jpg

Dream on...

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhance ...
  • Haha 1

I changed my mind, the Vantage looks a bit too chunky.  I like this one better, the Aston Martin Vanquish S, carbon edition, in my favorite color - pearlescent ice green.  It only costs $300,000 without options:

2016_aston-martin_vanquish_coupe_base_fq

The Vanquish only comes with a V12 but I can handle it.  Oh, and that's my house in the background too.

Actually it wouldn't make it up the private drive to my house, which looks like this in places:

road.jpg

and to flatlanders it feels like this:

road2.jpg

Edited by Starjumper
  • Haha 1

I did have one of these, and it did sound like that from the factory.

Since my dad was working as an executive at Chrysler he got to get company cars, getting a new one each year.  He was also able to get one for me because I was at the university but I got to order it from the factory.  I decided to get a Barracuda because it was a small car, and I picked a medium size engine, figuring the 318 V8 was too wimpy and the 383 big block was too big, so I picked the 340 V8 which was included in the Formula S option package I ordered, which made it handle amazingly well.  I had no idea that it was such a powerful souped up engine.  It came from the factory with more power than a lot of amateurs could get out of their engines by adding after market soup up items.  The best way to describe it was that it was violently fast.  As we know, the 426 Hemi engine is the king kong of all the high power engines, but actually in a drag race a 440 could beat a Hemi up to 90 mph because it had more cubes and more low end torque, after that the Hemi would take over and pull ahead.  The thing is though, that the 340 would beat a 440 up to about 70 mph, which was because it made the whole car lighter, and in particular lightened up the front end, so there was better weight transfer to the rear and better traction.  Due to this it could make amazingly quick jack rabbit starts, and the automatic transmission, which i ordered it with, facilitated this.  It was easier to start without spinning the tires and wasting energy, which made it a lot quicker.  At an intersection, if you wanted to get across quickly ahead of oncoming traffic, you could give the gas pedal a whack, and it would just about leap across the intersection, with no fuss and no spinning tires.

Once I told a buddy that if you were going 100 mph and stomped on the gas the car would leap forward and press you back in the seat.  He didn't understand at first because in his experience, if you were going 100 mph the gas already would be stomped on, so he asked, "you mean stomp on the brake pedal?".

Sometimes when I was driving along with a passenger in the car I would do a little surprise acceleration without warning them.  It was good to be going about 20 mph because this would prevent tire spin when flooring it.  So we would be cruising along nice and easy at around twenty and without saying anything I would press the gas pedal to the floor.  At first the engine would gag for about a second and it would get real quiet, like the calm before the storm, and then several things would happen all at once.  The automatic transmission would shift into first gear with so much force that the car body would resound with a loud bang, the carburetor would start to make a loud moaning sound as the engine tried to suck in all the air in the neighborhood, and it would feel like a railroad locomotive going fifty miles per hour had just crashed into the back of the car.  A couple of seconds later we would be going around 60 miles per hour and the transmission would shift into second, but you would still feel this powerful push against your back, which to some passengers was like sitting in a big slingshot and having that helpless feeling of the giant shove as the slingshot was released.  A few seconds after that, at around 90mph, it would shift into third.  Then the push would diminish some and the sound of rushing air would start to drown out the loud moaning sound from the carburetor.  The picket fences would start going by in a blur, and then it would be time to get on the brakes really hard and stand the car on it's nose in order to slow down to a sane speed before getting to the next intersection.  After that some passengers would insist on getting out right away to pee, others would exclaim YEEEHAAA!

It had a fold down back seat that opened up into the trunk so I put a bed mattress in there and used it as a camper.  I called it the fastest camper in the West.

</ thread drift >

Edited by Starjumper
for clarity

6 hours ago, Starjumper said:

It only costs $300,000 without options:

Hi Steve,

We have $0 without options -

Don't give us rotten fishes - please teach us to catch our own,

- Anand

10 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Don't give us rotten fishes - please teach us to catch our own,

Have you tried learning how to do it on your own like everyone else had to?

This might work for Starjumper. I have a land rover lr3 for my extreme driveway, not as extreme as his so the defender might be a better fit.

land-rover-eastnor-explorer.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

Have you tried learning how to do it on your own like everyone else had to?

Hi Dada-da,

But of course.

But is - Martin and his siblings - a dying cause?

Were/are their fishes stolen?

- LimA

11 minutes ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

This might work for Starjumper.

Hi Wu Ming Jen,

But this vehicle is stuck...

land-rover-eastnor-explorer.jpg

... just like Martin and his siblings.

So how?

- LimA

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Limahong said:

Hi Dada-da,

But of course.

But is - Martin and his siblings - a dying cause?

Were/are their fishes stolen?

- LimA

Few people are willing to try to help someone who won't help themselves.  They do it for a while but soon realize it is a lost cause and be on their way.

Yes, you have to watch over your fish after you catch them else someone will come along and steal them.

Well, civilization is said to be 40,000 years old.  This has been going on since that time.  I don't expect significant changes any time soon.

4 hours ago, Marblehead said:

Few people are willing to try to help someone who won't help themselves.

Hi Dada-da,

Helping the "needy" can be tricky.

I focus on Martin  and siblings because they appear to be young and innocent.

They spell Hope to me but not sympathy.

It will be nice if the three kids have chicken to play with -

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
Correct errors.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

This might work for Starjumper. I have a land rover lr3 for my extreme driveway, not as extreme as his so the defender might be a better fit.

Yes, that would work, either one would work, but the short wheelbase defender  ...

...  Is very similar to the car I have now, which is a 1991 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ70 which has an even shorter wheelbase than the defender.  I got it for a good price because it was rolled before I got it.  Like this only a lot more ragged:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

Where do you live?

In the USA Vermont on a mountain Lots of snow in the winter. The lr3 is great, it is mostly winter here, mud season lots of dirt roads and off road.

We live in a log cabin with 50 acres of land so for that I have a Polaris ranger side by side for my trails and there are hours and hours of trails right from the house.

The lr3 has traction control and 4 wheel lockers, air suspension that can raise and lower as well as water tight for river crossings.Our driveway is steep, in winter mode it will not spin the tires. the traction control goes back and fourth to each tire when one slips. The first time up with this vehicle with 12" of snow it basically slow crawled up the driveway, pushing the gas pedal made no difference. if any other car lost momentum it would be stuck. two wheel drive cars forget it no one has made it past the mail box.

Then there is plowing for that my dodge power wagon 2006 does the job the lockers have gotten me out of trouble more than once and I always chain up with very aggressive ice chains, oh yea lots of ice last year..

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

In the USA Vermont on a mountain Lots of snow in the winter. The lr3 is great, it is mostly winter here, mud season lots of dirt roads and off road.

We live in a log cabin with 50 acres of land so for that I have a Polaris ranger side by side for my trails and there are hours and hours of trails right from the house.

The lr3 has traction control and 4 wheel lockers, air suspension that can raise and lower as well as water tight for river crossings.Our driveway is steep, in winter mode it will not spin the tires. the traction control goes back and fourth to each tire when one slips. The first time up with this vehicle with 12" of snow it basically slow crawled up the driveway, pushing the gas pedal made no difference. if any other car lost momentum it would be stuck. two wheel drive cars forget it no one has made it past the mail box.

Then there is plowing for that my dodge power wagon 2006 does the job the lockers have gotten me out of trouble more than once and I always chain up with very aggressive ice chains, oh yea lots of ice last year..

After my recent trip to Africa (Kenya, Tanzania), I can vouch for Land Rovers and Land Cruisers as being amazing vehicles that handle the terrain like in the African bush or dirt tracks going up mountains with great ease. I found the Land Rovers to be a bit more formidable as vehicles. 

• Like 3