Oneironaut

Does fo-ti work for getting rid of white hair?

My hair has been turning white since I was 14 (30 now) from all the stress. I have unusually thick, brown hair reaching down my lower back so the white hair is actually more noticeable. I was wondering if fo-ti (He Shou Wu) actually works to darken it back up. It's not really all that bad. I just want to stop it from getting all out of control.

Edited by Oneironaut

Eh, I'm the same age and have been getting greys since I was 11 or so thanks to health issues. It's not a bad thing, have you tried releasing your insecurity instead of trying to change it? I have a friend who is about five years younger than I am and his hair is more grey than brown now, he gets women after him all the time.

There's no insecurity to get rid of. I just really like my original hair color and really can't picture myself with white hair all over the place. It's not an issue that deals with women either. I could honestly care less what the opposite sex thinks. It's more to do with myself.

There's no insecurity to get rid of. I just really like my original hair color and really can't picture myself with white hair all over the place. It's not an issue that deals with women either. I could honestly care less what the opposite sex thinks. It's more to do with myself. Ironically I still kept a baby face throughout the years and at nearly 31 pass for being in the late teens.

Edited by Oneironaut

Read this please.

Personally I would build on post-natal Qi to protect my savings/life battery (Jing/essence). The Spleen is responsible for this...bearing in mind the way society HARMS and ultimately DESTROYS this precious element, I would look after my Spleen like a gold mine.

In addition the internal organs work synergistically, so they all need to be looked after carefully.

Look into Bagua as the ultimate medicine-warrior-mystic art.

Chinese herbology is wonderful and will keep your organs in check.

I will soon open a thread about Spleen and Spleen Qi deficiency plus Kidney Yin and Yang health and the way both elements communicate with the Heart. This is modern society's real cancer: worry, excessive mental activity, fear, stress and lack of harmony. Also liver Qi stagnation, but this one is easy to fix...unlike the other two (spleen and kidney deficiency) which are the key to optimal and lifelong health.

The Spleen is the RESIDENCE of the INTELLECT and is responsible for applied thinking, studying, memorising, focusing, concentration and generating ideas. Today's world has taken this activities in excess resulting in spleen qi deficiency...and add computer work (and ultimately smart phones that follow you everywhere) and worry as the icing on the cake!

If you are born in a Water year or with a strong presence of Water in your Ba Zi chart then you should look more into Spleen and Hearth health and not so much the Kidney.

Best! :)

Note 1: I am seriously concerned about the future of human society and the natural environment. Not good. :(

Note 2: About the grey hair. Two solutions:

1. A Chinese patented formula called "Shou Wou Chih" (A web search yielded several points of sale, like Amazon (it stocks the product originally made in China); you may alternatively go to the local TCM-herbal shop, i.e. Beijing Tong Ren Tang or even Chinese supermarket. It is a liquid extract containing He Shou Wou along with Dang gui, Ligusticum, Polygonatum, Rehmannia root (cooked version, called Shu Di Huang) and other herbs that aid circulation and digestion. It is used as  a liver tonic,  tonifying,  warming  and  invigorating  the  blood,  nourishing the liver and kidneys, benefiting the eyes and tendons, strengthening the bones and tendons of the back, relieving joint pains and depletion caused by sexual excess, childbirth, or illness.

It is suitable to take daily for a long period of time (3 months or more). The daily dose is 2-3 tablespoons x 3 times a day, due to the tonifying nature of the formula. (Tonifying formulas require months of daily consumption for effectivity).

**However tonics of this kind are not as effective as herbal decoctions (boliing real herbs in hot water, twice (yang boil and yin boil, for tonifying formulas: first boil for 50-60 min and then second boil for 40 min. Soak herbs in water for 1 hour prior to boiling).

The herbs contained in that formula are:

1. He Shou Wou/Fo-ti root

2. Angelica root

3. Prepared Rehmannia

4. Ligusticum

5. Solomon's Seal

6. Angelica dahurica

7. Cloves

8. Citri medica

9. Cardamon

2. Another good remedy for restoring hair color is Black sesame seeds. Chinese medicine finds that
herbs and foods that are black coloured are usually particularly good for the kidneys. Black
sesame is rich in certain oils and is taken regularly, about one tablespoon daily, to prevent greying
and help restore normal hair color. Black sesame seeds can be dry roasted and ground with a little
salt to make a delicious condiment that can be sprinkled on rice and other foods.

You can also combine 1/3 of ground He Shou Wou with ground 2/3 black sesame seeds to increase
its benefits. A sweet version can be made by mixing the ground black sesame with honey
or dry powdered pure sugar cane juice extract.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3