MooNiNite

Is the earth round/spherical?

Earth Shape  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth Round?

• Yes
    • No

Pfffmp ! Bluh ... bluh .... no distinction ! ?

No distinction between a goat and sheep ? How long has this civilization been around ?

You mean to tell me they never discovered if you put a goat or two in each heard of sheep, the average intelligence of the herd goes up 300% ?

< Opens gate into new paddock with fresh green grass - all the sheep run the other way and crash into the fence :wacko: - puts a goat in with them, opens the gate again, goat runs in and starts eating the grass - sheep follow . .... I am serious ! >

Besides ....? ? ? .... 'WTF' ? ;

" Hey Chen ! Bring over that white sheep ..... no the white sheep ... no ... that sheep that is a bit taller and less wooley with the straighter horns ....

..... one of those 'smart sheep ' !

( I couldn't resist throwing that last phrase in :) )

and furthermore

I will have you know I will never accept being called a sheep, being treated as a sheep or acting like a sheep ....

If you knew me ... you would know I am a goat

That "goat" in the video looks rather like a sheep to me. Where are the horns?

To my knowledge, every goat has horns. Some sheep have them too, at least in Switzerland. And I am not talking about the ram here, which is a close relative of the sheep. Which you can tell by watching the behaviour of the sheep in your vid!

Edited by Michael Sternbach

Interestingly, it looks like the Chinese identification of the sheep with the goat (at least verbally) has lead to some ambiguity concerning the Chinese zodiac. Thus, in Thailand, the year of the sheep is the year of the goat!

However, western astrology employs the wilder relatives of the two animals - the ram and the capricorn. There can be little confusion about these, as anybody knows who has the pleasure to be closely familiar with representatives of both signs.

Edited by Michael Sternbach

Well, of course, if you look closely, sheep and goats are not the same -- why even not all sheep are the same.  Some are special. 

I'll bet that guy in the back seat will walk home the next time.

My friend believes that tests done to confirm the roundness of earth actually fail.

People can look at far away distances that they should not be able to if the earth was round

^^^ I would ask your friend to name one...
  • Like 1

I'll bet that guy in the back seat will walk home the next time.

You mean you don't know what happened to the guy in the back seat?..  I say forget all the banter about whether the Earth is round, ovoid, toroid, boloid, square, or none of the above, and watch Night On Earth pronto!  How on Earth did you miss it!  

• Like 2

OK, final verdict on the matter.

The earth is definitely round by majority of votes.  It is quite possibly round in actuality (if you stick with Euclidean geometry).  And it's most decisively populated by  98% sheep, 1% wolves, 1% cats.  

Vote, shmote.  We've walked around it, sailed around, flew around it.  Our satellites continually circle around it.  We've photographed it from space, filmed it from space.   There is no question.  Its like asking is there water on the Earth? 

We've visited other celestial bodies like the moon, circled around it and found it a sphere, which it kinda had to be due to the way sun reflects off it.   We've photographed the Earth from the Moon; like the Earth it has phases as the sun reflects around its sphere.   We've sent crafts to many planets, our probes take pictures showing they're spheres.   Due to gravity big objects in space tend to be spherical.. at least in our solar system.   Smaller things like asteroids without much gravity can be oddly shaped. 

I'd say the earth is populated by those who believe in modern science and those who cling to ancients texts.  Not that ancient texts are obsolete, just that science has moved on. 

Pictures  https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1628&bih=942&q=earth+from+space&oq=earth+from+space&gs_l=img.3..0l10.4934.7892.0.8469.17.12.0.5.5.0.139.1049.8j4.12.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.16.922.2qCu_Vk7U2g#hl=en&authuser=0&tbm=isch&q=nasa+photos+of+earth+from+space

Videos   https://www.google.com/search?q=nasa+photos+of+earth+from+space&hl=en&authuser=0&biw=1628&bih=942&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoA2oVChMIotnu-LXRyAIVg4ENCh2-yAJC&dpr=1

http://www.space.com/30864-earth-one-full-day-from-one-million-miles-time-lapse-video.html

Edited by thelerner

Vote, shmote.  We've walked around it, sailed around, flew around it.  Our satellites continually circle around it.  We've photographed it from space, filmed it from space.   There is no question.  Its like asking is there water on the Earth? 

We've visited other celestial bodies like the moon, circled around it and found it a sphere, which it kinda had to be due to the way sun reflects off it.   We've photographed the Earth from the Moon; like the Earth it has phases as the sun reflects around its sphere.   We've sent crafts to many planets, our probes take pictures showing they're spheres.   Due to gravity big objects in space tend to be spherical.. at least in our solar system.   Smaller things like asteroids without much gravity can be oddly shaped. 

I'd say the earth is populated by those who believe in modern science and those who cling to ancients texts.  Not that ancient texts are obsolete, just that science has moved on. 

Pictures  https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&authuser=0&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1628&bih=942&q=earth+from+space&oq=earth+from+space&gs_l=img.3..0l10.4934.7892.0.8469.17.12.0.5.5.0.139.1049.8j4.12.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.16.922.2qCu_Vk7U2g#hl=en&authuser=0&tbm=isch&q=nasa+photos+of+earth+from+space

Videos   https://www.google.com/search?q=nasa+photos+of+earth+from+space&hl=en&authuser=0&biw=1628&bih=942&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoA2oVChMIotnu-LXRyAIVg4ENCh2-yAJC&dpr=1

http://www.space.com/30864-earth-one-full-day-from-one-million-miles-time-lapse-video.html

Define "WE."

You seem to have participated in all these endeavors, and that's how you know.  Wow!  What a life of adventure and accomplishment!

If you haven't, you shouldn't say "we" about those adventures and accomplishments -- moreover, you shouldn't say they actually took place, this is hearsay and nothing but, very unreliable, courts e.g. refuse to consider such evidence.. 

The only correct way to present your findings is to point out their source.  Say something like "we are told by them that..."  yada yada.  Try to rewrite your passage in this manner.  See if it is anywhere as convincing when you stick to the facts -- "someone told me that..." but "I personally have never witnessed..." as it is when you include yourself into "we" as if they have included you. 

They did not.  They did not.  They did this -- or something entirely else -- absolutely without you.  You only have their word for it, nothing else.  But then they told you "we" as though you did it together with them.  This is mass hypnosis, friend.  You have been hypnotized to believe you are part of some "we" that does all the things that "you" personally haven't the foggiest about.  I'm not saying they're lying.  I'm saying you are, not on purpose, just the way this particular hypnotic trance suggests.  You weren't there didn't do that and yet you say "we" did this and that.    

So, there's not "two kinds of people" of your description.  There's two kinds of people of real distinction:   those who think -- and stick to the facts personally known to them while doing this; and those who repeat what they were told to think -- and thus replace fact with fiction, then hold on to this fiction for dear life because that's all they have to show for a lifetime of running their brain on idle, using someone else's instead. 

Ancient or modern doesn't matter.  If you think you know things that you only know under the hypnotic suggestion of "we," try examining what you know if you remove this suggestion -- what you, personally, know.  I personally know taoist numerology and cosmology, that's why I think the earth, not in its physical shape that doesn't matter much, but in its abstract mathematical manifestations, its "spirit," the source of its physical manifestations, is square.  I have no opinion about its physical shape because I wasn't there to witness, and I only believe what I know myself, from having been there done that thought it through on the actual facts' terms -- what I, personally, have had my mind, body and all their faculties register at the time of occurrence of a "fact."  If I was asleep in bed, it doesn't count.  If someone told me it happened while I wasn't there, it doesn't count.  Is all. 

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

We, the human race have explored this planet.  A dozen 9 nations using modern science and technology have launched satellites into space, that revolve around our planet.  They did it because science has moved past ancient times.  I see, you can see, We can see satellites crossing the sky.  We can research who built and put them up there, what they do and how and why they operate.

I, you, we can use GPS that rely on said satellites.  I, you, we can deduce the moon is spherical by the way it light from the sun hits it.  I, you, we can laboriously use basic mathematically principles to start deducing the size and distances of things in our universe.  We can with math deduce how far away the moon and sun are.  Using science and math.

I, you, we can fly on Jumbo jets.  I, myself have flown across this planet, not totally around, but across oceans on a technological wonder, a jet flying over 500 miles per hour, pressurized, weighing over 700,000 pounds (at take off), filled with computers, holding hundreds of people. 

Technology and science aren't an illusion trying to fool you.  Scientific discoveries aren't meant to brain wash anyone.  They're the fruits of progress of science.   We benefit from them.  Science discovered Earth was round 100's of years ago and has used that fact to progress in dozens of fields. 

The case is closed by modern science and not so modern science, it was pretty much a slam dunk 100 years ago.  Our planet is not flat, its not a cube, it's a sphere.  We know it, we base our modern understanding of geology, astronomy, astrophysics, regular physics, aerospace, geography; 500 years of science and exploration back it up. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Technology is not an illusion, but it is not necessarily based on science you are told it is based on.  Technology can use things without understanding them.  No one knows what electricity or magnetism really are.  No one.  And yet we base a helluva lot of technology on them.  And this technology does not inform us about what's going on on the level of reality anymore than your lifting a cup of coffee to your lips is based on your deep understanding of biology, physiology, biochemistry, biophysics, and so on.  You just have the technology, the know how.  You don't have the science, and you don't need it to use this technology.

If you limit the claims to "this model of reality we currently accept does not interfere with our use of technology," I'll agree.  The model of reality (flat earth, round heaven) used by Admiral Zheng He didn't interfere with his use of technology either -- he sailed all over the earth but he didn't think he sailed "around the earth," he thought he sailed "to the four corners of the earth."  So what?..  Technology working proves nothing about the theory.  Zip. 

Edited by Taomeow

Well, my world must be round because I keep walking in circles.

Mine is spiral -- like every single bone in my body, or yours -- shaped by the real (not snapshot/still frame) shape of energies of this world.  I keep working on generating the spiral peng force in my taiji.  When I get it right, it feels --

like home.   

• Like 2

We, the human race have explored this planet. 

You are human race, I am human race -- does this give you knowledge of what I had for breakfast this morning?  Of what a classmate of mine who lives in Austria wrote in her email to me today?  Of whether Putin is conspiring with Biden Junior, or with Angela Merkel, or recklessly opposing them both?  Of anything at all that someone knows that they don't want to tell you (e.g., I'm sure your wife is faithful to you, I would be -- but if she cheated, wouldn't she want to keep it to herself?..)  

See, "we" holds no water if it is fictitious, metaphorical, poetic, imaginary. 

"We" use cell phones believing that "we" invented them for ease of communication.  However, the military list them among the "nonlethal weapons based on microwaves emission technology."  Which is correct?  There's different "we," see -- same technology, different applications, different purposes.  And one is not informing the other.  

"We" use asbestos to insulate our homes and keep ourselves warm, but "we" who inhale the dust use it to get sick and die.  "We" manufacture lead-based paints for our homes and children's toys for pretty colors, but "we" the children use them for to get brain damage.  "We" then prohibit the use of lead paints but "we" add fire retardants to mattresses "we" sleep on, and "we" the children sleeping on them also get brain damage.  "We" went to war in Iraq but "we" didn't believe it when "we" said that "we" are fighting for our freedom there.  And so on.

"We" are a catch-all, "the human race" is a catch-all, and "someone" knows how to use it to make you believe that technology serves "we the people."  But believe you me, there's "we" who think the opposite is true, and they are not in any way inadequate compared to your "we," but they -- us -- me -- beg to differ.  

Edited by Taomeow

add on> If you believe science and most scientists and engineers, indeed the very fundamentals of scientific belief are in on a giant hoax then I'll never be able to convince you.

So.. the video above.. do they really think people won't do 30 seconds of internet search and find out its  100% lies?  Its also disgraceful to the families of the men and woman who lost there lives.  See- http://www.snopes.com/politics/conspiracy/challenger.asp  If you spent 3 minutes on the previous video, just spend one minute and you'll find out the truth.

We launched the International Space Station in 1998.  It's up there now.  We can see it with the naked eye.  With powerful binoculars and telescopes we can make out it's T shape.  We can learn how, who and why it was made.  Listen to the scientists and engineers who worked on it across the world. 

It is sending out pictures of our planet (as are many satellites) continuously.  You can see them here- http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/HDEV/

Scientific knowledge grows, mankind's body of knowledge grows.  New learning doesn't discredit the feats of the ancients.  If they stuck there head in the sand only believing in there own 'ancients' there'd be no progress.   Thankfully there is and many wonders come up it.  Wonders we have pictures of, not just 100,000's of thousands from the past 40 years from dozens of sources, but ones being made this very moment, see the link above.  We can visit people who've been in space, designed spacecraft and satellites. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure he was referring to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZjkCTaykPU

Are you pulling our legs now? I grew up near Bear Mountain, was in fact this past May and again in August there, and yes you can see NYC from that area, I've taken photos of it, so what? It's not that far away, and it's, you know, a mountain. The sixty miles this clown mentions are probably what he read on the odometer of his car. I assume the Philly photo is a similar situation.

If the Earth is flat, please take a photo of The Eiffel Tower from the top of the Empire State Building. 

This is the kind of truly tinfoil-hat stuff that prompted my reply to the "science" forum request. Next up: Chemtrails.

• Like 2

Well, of course, if you look closely, sheep and goats are not the same -- why even not all sheep are the same.  Some are special. 

I know that ... but you said  , no distinction in language ..... 

How did the Chinese indicate a goat instead of a sheep in their language  ? 

That "goat" in the video looks rather like a sheep to me. Where are the horns?

Probably  in the same place or cow's horns went when I lived at Glenfield Farm  ..... even after the horns were removed, the only person who could milk her was this large solid Maori guy ... and he would take a baseball bat with him. 

Imagine  that goat  with horns .  

And of course ... a sheep would never attack a motorcycle  .....   :closedeyes:

To my knowledge, every goat has horns. Some sheep have them too, at least in Switzerland. And I am not talking about the ram here, which is a close relative of the sheep. Which you can tell by watching the behaviour of the sheep in your vid!

They cut em off .     

A sheep ... with horns  ?   -now I know you are pulling my leg        ;)

tumblr_ng7750BbbF1r330fso2_1280.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Are you pulling our legs now? I grew up near Bear Mountain, was in fact this past May and again in August there, and yes you can see NYC from that area, I've taken photos of it, so what? It's not that far away, and it's, you know, a mountain. The sixty miles this clown mentions are probably what he read on the odometer of his car. I assume the Philly photo is a similar situation.

If the Earth is flat, please take a photo of The Eiffel Tower from the top of the Empire State Building. 

This is the kind of truly tinfoil-hat stuff that prompted my reply to the "science" forum request. Next up: Chemtrails.

I actually do believe in Chemtrails, but that is for another day

Interestingly, it looks like the Chinese identification of the sheep with the goat (at least verbally) has lead to some ambiguity concerning the Chinese zodiac. Thus, in Thailand, the year of the sheep is the year of the goat!

However, western astrology employs the wilder relatives of the two animals - the ram and the capricorn. There can be little confusion about these, as anybody knows who has the pleasure to be closely familiar with representatives of both signs.

Oh ?  I thought the goat appeared in Chinese astrology as well  ?   I was told the goat / sheep thing  is a difference between north and south Chinese ?

Now you guys .... dont try to tell me that a cat and a rabbit are interchangeable  (outside of astrology ) 

What animal is    ' the Capricorn'  ? ? ?   :wacko:

I mean ... I will accept your goat ram sheep thingo ... even a sheep with 4 (and some even with 6 ! )  horns. 

But .... ummmmm ..... err....  

tumblr_static_zodiac-sign-capricorn.jpg

• Like 1

That goat has a serious attitude problem.

Oh yeah ?   ....  Do you want a bit of fore head ?

photo-thumb-42212.jpg?_r=1437902427  201007051756AYB.gif

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure he was referring to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZjkCTaykPU

But that is because just that part of the earth is flat .... when that vid was made , the earth 'had a flat'   and we know that really, when we get a flat, it just the bottom of the tire  that is the problem ... the rest of it is fine ( and round ) 

anigif_enhanced-20712-1398074992-2.gif

• Like 2

The Challenger thing is kinda interesting, skip to 10:30.

at 12:07  'Judy Freznik' not only managed to change her face ... but changed her skin color   :blink:

WOW ... those cover up experts at NASA will go such a long way   :closedeyes: