MooNiNite

Is the earth round/spherical?

Earth Shape  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Earth Round?

• Yes
    • No

Poll on whether or not the earth is round.

Edit:

So what im trying to ask is how many people believe that the earth is the conventional spherical shape that they teach in the classrooms?

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

I can't vote because I consider it to be both.  Yes, it is round but different roundness at different times because of the gravitational pull of both the sun and the moon.  The Earth's structure is in constant flux.  One of the things that allows life to flourish.

• Like 3

Hey!  That just brought a new word to my mind.  We know I like talking about flexibility.  How about fluxibility?

• Like 3

I was hoping people wouldnt be Daoists and approach this with thoughts that the earth is "relatively round." 

But that is a language barrier, I will edit the first post.

My friend believes that tests done to confirm the roundness of earth actually fail.

People can look at far away distances that they should not be able to if the earth was round

From what I've read we're round, with tiny spread around the equator and shrunk to the size of a billiard ball we'd look and feel very smooth, ie not bumpy.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-is-not-round/

Instead of Earth being like a spinning top made of steel, explains geologist Vic Baker at the University of Arizona in Tucson it has "a bit of plasticity that allows the shape to deform very slightly. The effect would be similar to spinning a bit of Silly Putty, though Earth's plasticity is much, much less than that of the silicone plastic clay so familiar to children."

Our globe, however, is not even a perfect oblate spheroid, because mass is distributed unevenly within the planet. The greater a concentration of mass is, the stronger its gravitational pull, "creating bumps around the globe," says geologist Joe Meert at the University of Florida in Gainesville.

• Like 2

My friend believes that tests done to confirm the roundness of earth actually fail.

People can look at far away distances that they should not be able to if the earth was round

Then tell your friend to go back to 'little school' ... and maybe you should join him ? 

The following phenomena has  been observed for a few thousand years ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV0h68YU0iQ

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

I'm willing to boldly take a side on this one.  The earth is round, like a pizza, wrapped over a bowling ball.  You and I are merely toppings..

Magellan circled the globe from 1519 to 1521,since then (and perhaps before) countless people have followed, maybe 100,000's. Before Magellan scholars knew the world was round, but they tended to underestimate how large it was.   You can go to a travel agent and buy plane tickets that take you around the globe, going from country to country til you've circled around.  

One day some brave Flat Earther will buy the tickets and fly, compass in hand, maybe even a gps and see that if you head in one direction you eventually get back to where you started and don't fall off the Earth. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

Earth is a torus. There are no spheres in nature.

8)

So there are giant holes at the north and south?

I do believe that for what ever reason i think the governments don't want people seeing the north pole. There is visible photo shopping being done on google earth. 

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

This is a interesting video, shows how much time and work people are willing to do for versus reasons.

So I say always take things lightly in enjoy the show. 

Edited by Tung
  • Like 1

Poll on whether or not the earth is round.

Edit:

So what im trying to ask is how many people believe that the earth is the conventional spherical shape that they teach in the classrooms?

as oppsed to a flat disc? 

• Like 1

I believe there is only 1 actual photo of the earth from space

Not even that.  "Actual" would be the photo you have taken yourself, proceeding to process the film yourself.  The one we are shown is "purported."

Piriforme3.JPG

The Chinese believed the earth to be round by somewhere between 1A.D. and 100 A.D..  Their earlier generally accepted idea that the earth is a square set in the round heaven was challenged.  By 200 A.D. Chinese scholars claimed that the earth was the yolk of an egg -- a common idea in many cosmologies earthwide.

While Europe held the concept of flat earth, Arabs revived the much earlier Aryan Indian ideas of the round globe.  The 7th century Armenian Ananii Shirakatsi asserted the universe itself was egg-shaped, with the sky being the shell, the air the white, and the earth the yolk.

Our current view of the earth being round came into vogue and went out of vogue many times.   The earth changed shape in the minds of scientists many times.  Every single time, whatever current idea won (or enforced, with weapons of mass instruction) general acceptance was "the final word of science" on the matter.  

Except it wasn't.

Nil admirari.   

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

Maybe your friend should go back to school?

• Like 1

Nah... The Earth is heart-shaped.

34q8k8n.jpg

Seriously: There are numerous pictures from space showing the spherical shape of our planet. Just do a quick google search. If they are all fake, there must be a BIG cover-up.

But if that doesn't convince some, I would suggest they go to their local observatory and have a look at some of the other planets. This will give strong support to the notion that our planet is spherical, just like every body of appreciable size in our solar system.

• Like 3