Wun Yuen Gong

Hand seals -Mudras of Daoist, buddhist origins?

Hello,

Does anyone use Mudras with there practises?

I am searching around for different hand positions that both Daoist and Buddhist use. Does anyone here know any and like to share there knowledge of them?

Lin, mantra as well anyone else that study these?

Thanks in advance!!!

WYG :)

Hello,

Does anyone use Mudras with there practises?

I am searching around for different hand positions that both Daoist and Buddhist use. Does anyone here know any and like to share there knowledge of them?

Lin, mantra as well anyone else that study these?

Thanks in advance!!!

WYG :)

Things are getting really interesting on this board lately.. hahaha

Certain Mudras in Buddhist cultivation are the 42 Hands and Eyes of Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva, Hands of Great Strength Bodhisattva and also Amitabha Buddha. Almost all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas can instruct one to use hands and eyes cultivation for attainment, given the cultivator's capacity of mind and basically, level of cultivation.

Some hands and eyes are specifically transmitted, passed to, cultivators of certain levels of cultivation for safety reasons. Not every practice in Buddhism is for everyone, and yet every practice in Buddhism is for everyone.

In the Daoist school there are hands (mudras) as well, and they serve basically similar functions as the Buddhist school, for cultivation is simply cultivation.

Some functions of Mudras are for ridding on of demons both in and out, developing abilities, wisdom, patience, compassion, ending hunger, sadness, protection from heavenly demons and all demons spirits, etc...the law of man(country and world) made by man, natural disasters, diseases, death, etc...

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Edited by 林愛偉

Hi Lin,

Thanks for your post, do you use many mudras in your practise?

Can you tell me more about the eyes?

Regards

WYG

The eyes are visualizations and eventual energetic centers that appear on the body, but not to the sight of a non cultivator, or a cultivator without certain abilities.

The eyes have many functions, but one of them is to be able to see all realms, all minds and all conditions.. as well as see all beings for what they are. Beings here meaning humans, animals, ghosts, spirits, demons, gods, Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, Immortals, Dragons, etc.

The 42 Hands and Eyes in particular function to benefit humanity, the cultivator, and all beings in any shape, form and formless. As with any method, they can be used for harm, and I will not go into those methods..lol

For this reason, the hands and eyes of certain cultivation is only passed to those of high virtue, moral, affinity/fate and having done a great number of good deeds. Usually Left home people passed the hands and eyes due to their cultivation of vows/precepts. But there are also lay people who have received them due to their affinities with those who have them, have mastered them to a certain level, and have the capacity to work for the benefit of humanity...not self. Usually in both Daoist and Buddhist schools, only those who show a fine foundation of virtue and moral would receive certain things. Some cultivation in Daoist and Buddhist schools are not for everyone, but can be for everyone.

Some mudras are available for anyone who wishes, yet the functions are best realized under personal apprenticeship or close training with someone who has mastered them in beneficial ways.

Power utilizing tools are very easily attractive for developing power, and can easily be used for non-beneficial manners. Hence the reserve on teaching and showing them to the masses.

Also, not many people believe in them.. haha so not many people get them :D

I do utilize mudras in my practice daily.

Peace and Blessings,

Lin