Sign in to follow this  
Geof Nanto

Ancient teeth point to earliest modern humans in southern China

Modern humans may have occupied southern China at least 30,000 years earlier than previously thought. Archaeologists have found 47 Homo sapiens teeth closely resembling our own, dated from 80,000-120,000 years old, in a cave in Hunan province, according to a letter published today in Nature.

6854584-3x2-700x467.jpg

PHOTO: 47 human teeth found in the Fuyan Cave in the Daoxian Province in China are between 80,000 - 120,000 years old.

The discovery adds a new chapter to the story of modern human migration, suggesting that our genetic ancestors were not the first H. sapiens to populate east Asia. Until now, the earliest fossil evidence of H. sapiens further east than the Arabian Peninsula was been dated at 40,000-50,000 years ago, from Northern China, Borneo, and Lake Mungo in southwest Australia.

While the researchers did not find any other human bones or stone tools at the Hunan province site, they did uncover a large number of teeth from other animals, including five extinct large mammals such as an ancient elephant and an ancestor of the giant panda.

Researchers said the discovery also showed modern humans were living in southern China 30,000-70,000 years earlier than they were found in Europe.

• Like 6

Interesting !!

Believe "Kent's Caverns" in Torquay (pronounced Torr-Key) in Devon, south-west UK was the location of the oldest human teeth, when discovered in the late 19th Century (?).

Found alongside Mammoth & Sabre Tooth Tiger remains.

Currently estimated to be around 40,000 years old.

Believed to be the Second Oldest Remains of Homo Sapiens in Europe.

Here's my somewhat related thought. And I'm really just thinking out loud, so bear with me/my apologies if I say anything offensive here:

I've been reading at length lately about both the Old Testament and Catholicism. I like studying religions; I find that there's something one can take from all "big ideas" that have come to have great meaning to people. But, man, some of the stuff in the Old Testament is just so wacky, so backwards....very, very clearly derived from a very early people of this planet, with very specific daily realities and yearly needs.

Anyways, following the train of thought right along, that got me to thinking about why exactly, if most religions were kind of this original source of coping with existence for the peoples that came up with them, was Taoism closest to truth (**important: from the worldview of me, at this specific moment in time). For instance, perhaps it factored in heavily that the earliest proponents of Taoism had the benefit of more pure isolation, or a greater closeness to nature, whereas those of the old Testament were very preoccupied with farming and warring tribes.

So, the tie-in here for me is that maybe the closeness of truth has something to do with the closeness of the start....of us.   

So, the tie-in here for me is that maybe the closeness of truth has something to do with the closeness of the start....of us.

My feeling is that Taoism or its antecedents are the only true natural 'religion' of human beings, while later theist religions are alien impositions whose purpose is in part to divorce humanity from nature.

8)

• Like 2

Modern humans may have occupied southern China at least 30,000 years earlier than previously thought. Archaeologists have found 47 Homo sapiens teeth closely resembling our own, dated from 80,000-120,000 years old, in a cave in Hunan province, according to a letter published

today in Nature.

Thank you... I can use the link  :)

http://thedaobums.com/forum/417-ancient-china-pre-xia/

The Egyptians authorities are still having trouble understanding that their dating of the pyramids and human civilization is way off.

They claim human civilization is only 5,000 years old but Many places have been discovered dating atleast 10,000 years ago. 

Gobekli Tepe

The problem with the Sphinx is that there is water erosion on it that indicates it is MUCH MUCH older than people realize. 

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this