Cameron

Aikido or BJJ

I decided I will definetly be going back to either Aikido or BJJ in November.

What are peoples feeling about which one is better long term?

I have this weird feeling of deja vu like we already talked about this before..wierd..

I decided I will definetly be going back to either Aikido or BJJ in November.

What are peoples feeling about which one is better long term?

I have this weird feeling of deja vu like we already talked about this before..wierd..

Place your bets folks :lol:

Ask sifu Max

Edited by mYTHmAKER

I agree, but forgive me for asking the obvious, what happened w/ sticking to your Kunlun training?

Spectrum

Kunlun takes 1 hour a day man..there are 23 hrs after that man.

Please don't make me state the obvious.

I think you should state the obvious everyday.

Kunlun doesn't offer it's seekers any type of exercise or martial/health art?

Edited by Spectrum

Well... obviously you feel you need more in your life than Kunlun.

Oh you changed your post just as I was responding to it! LOL!

Again..there are 24 hrs in a day..if I am doing Kunlun 1 hr a day and don't get involved in other practices what do you expect me to do?! Post on taobums and massage my testicles the rest of the day!?

I changed it because I like to choose my words carefully. Especially regarding peoples personal practices. These things should be respected, not treated like my way right away consumer products.

what do you expect me to do?!

Exactly what you are, getting out and asking questions face to face. There is Wordless Dialog in movement. If you want I can send you a Funny Stick, they feel good to play with, so you can play with your stick instead of your....

.... Sending a few to Sean this week.

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

BJJ anyday, plus if you have a Catch Wrestling school or gym near you i would go for Catch as CATCH Can as they have very good strength and conditioning workouts completely different to BJJ. But BJJ is great as well!!!

There is such a thing as giving up your power.

Asking the same thing over and over dissapates your power.

Sometimes it is best to just chose one - do it and then you know whether to continue or not.

One has to be steady - go inside and know what is right for them.

The answer will come and you will be centered.

No one else can really tell you what to do.

Opinions are always colored by the givers experience and

not to your experience.

It is a rare individual who can be impartial enough to give advice,

and that individual will turn your question back to you so you realize

what is right for you, never having given you the answer outwardly.

I am actually still not sure which one I want to go with :lol:

I am tight with both of them and they are both so awesome I will probably do both..but right now I am doing so much already...have my yin teacher in town and Max is coming next week.

Probably wait until December to start training atleast in one if them.

Thats cool you have lots of motivation and enthusiasm for your internal studies.

So close... meaning they are close to your house? That's even easier to do both then!

Which practice is consistently breaking your metabolic barriers?

Spectrum

Kinda far to walk, not to far for driving.

Sometimes a man must stand alone.

Thanks for the dialog Cameron.

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

I am graduating from college next week and need to figure out my work situation but if everything goes as planned will start Aikido in December.

I sat in on class last night and think it will be a nice complement to my Kunlun practice. In addition to just being something I enjoy and a great workout.

Thanks for asking,

Cam

Call me a spiritual glutton, but is it possible to do both, but shifting the focus more from one to the other from time to time as your schedule and needs permit?

My BJJ instructors also have black belts in Hapkido, and they often throw Hapkido joint locks (which come from Aikido) into our training. Of course, the principle of movement is different when you're actually throwing and rolling.

I myself want to complement my BJJ and MT (yes, the typical MMA combo) training with Tai Chi. Hope to find time for that in the future, even though the MMA-type-stuff is still top prioirty. Still, I can't knock the so-called "soft"/internal arts. Frank Shamrock is an explosive striking and grappling machine, but he said he's recently discovered the benefits of tai chi, along with lots of stretching and massage, to make him more integrated as both a martial artist and a human being.

Call me a spiritual glutton, but is it possible to do both, but shifting the focus more from one to the other from time to time as your schedule and needs permit?

My BJJ instructors also have black belts in Hapkido, and they often throw Hapkido joint locks (which come from Aikido) into our training. Of course, the principle of movement is different when you're actually throwing and rolling.

I myself want to complement my BJJ and MT (yes, the typical MMA combo) training with Tai Chi. Hope to find time for that in the future, even though the MMA-type-stuff is still top prioirty. Still, I can't knock the so-called "soft"/internal arts. Frank Shamrock is an explosive striking and grappling machine, but he said he's recently discovered the benefits of tai chi, along with lots of stretching and massage, to make him more integrated as both a martial artist and a human being.

Hi there,

it is funny that Frank Shamrock found this way. He always was the one with (in my opinion) fewest respect for his opponents and with few "philosophy". In the end it is good that such people change their views. That is giving me hope.

I have been praciticing Luta Livre and Muay Thai next to my internal training and the traditional Martial Arts. Good to see other people like that. I think it is a good combination if one doesnt "loose" the way.

Sometimes, after spending many hours training with internal Martial Artists, I found it sometimes quite refreshing to train with some people who do not know the internal way at all and just like to fight. I can learn from both so much.

I think mixing both together (atl east for the fighting aspect) is very good and fun. I found out that my Tui Shu and Qi Gong Training gave me lots of good sensatory feeling especially for the grappling and the Muay Thai Clinch.

I wrote a lot more than I actually wanted ... keep up the good training and enjoy this beatiful way!

In the end it is good that such people change their views. That is giving me hope.

Isn't that how Morihei Ueshiba found his way? He was the equivalent of an MMA figher in his day, initially placing great emphasis on tremendous physical strength and an aggressive fighting style, taking on all comers, and living to WIN! WIN! WIN! Still, he felt deep down that something was missing, and began to dedicate himself more and more to internal cultivation . . . Until he had his great realization, meditating Buddha-like under a tree, and went on to found Aikido. I don't know if Frank Shamrock will ever become an Ueshiba-like figure, but he has definitely evolved. He's neither a one-dimensional fighter nor a one-dimensional person. In a recent interview he also highlighted the importance of meditation, reading, and SERVICE in his life . . . And he also said he's quite skilled at sewing!

So of course an internal art like Aikido has tremendous value, though I think Aikido alone isn't enough to be a complete fighter, as martial arts continue to evolve. However, I think some aspect of that internal cultivation is still essential for full development, including for people who do MMA or train in "hard" styles.

Edited by Peregrino

My Aikido teacher is one of the most martial of all the Aikikai Shihans, He's a bad ass and he can back up his Aikido with technique. Actually, most all of the teachers I have studied with are basically martial artists first.

I thought about it but don't think it would be good for me to mix BJJ and Aikido at this point. That said, after I get back to training for maybe a year and build my body up I wouldn't turn down challenges from BJJ dudes or whatever to 'test' my Aikido. My guess is once I add the standing practices I learned from Max in most BJJ guys would have a hard time just taking me to the ground anyway. When you have a really strong root and people can't take you down that pretty much neutralizes BJJ right there.

Comptetition and proving yourself 'better' than others might be fun but for spiritual development Aikido is better because competition and trying to be better than others is discarded right from the beginning(in theory) and you can turn your whole attention to developing body,mind and spirit integration.

Cam