TO ALL THETAOBUMS.COM SUBSCRIBERS, TAI CHI FOR HEALTH FOLLOWERS, AND FLYING PHOENIX CHI KUNG PRACTITIONERS:

This new discussion thread dedicated to self-proclaimed "Tai Chi master" and "Zen master" david dorian ross--with the purpose of making him more infamous than he could ever dream of.

It is posted as public service, for David Dorian Ross was instrumental in enabling the corrupt business practices of two large corporate purveyors of New Age lifestyle products (including Yoga and Tai Chi videos)--namely, Healing Arts Publishing, Inc. and its successor in interest, Gaiam, Inc.--that had both hired david dorian ross in 1998 and 1999, respectively, to make a bunch of  "Chi For Beginners" videos, that were deceptively titled and packaged so as to circumvent an exclusivity provision in a contract that I had with both these companies.  My Complaint against this breach of contract is memorialized in a lawsuit styled "Terence Dunn and Interarts Productions, Inc. vs. Gaiam, Inc., a Colorado Corporation, Gaiam Holdings, Inc., a Colorado Corporation,  Steve P. and Elizabeth A. Adams Holdings, a California Corporation, Healing Arts Publishing, LLC, a California Limited Liability Company, Steven P. Adams, David Dorian Ross, and John Does 1-100, inclusively" that I filed in Los Angeles Superior Court in January 2000---- Case BC244453.  

All the video footage mounted on this Youtube Channel is of david dorian ross testifying under oath on August 1, 2001 in a deposition in San Francisco taken by my attorney, William Ford of the Ford Law Firm.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ25_amAVNCszW7r4vI0pRQ/videos

In 2000, I sued Gaiam, Inc., et. al. for breach of contract, alleging that Gaiam instead of honoring the exclusivity provision in my Distribution Agreement that prohibited Gaiam from marketing any Tai Chi videos other than my Tai Chi for Health Yang Short Form and Tai Chi For Health Yang Long Form videos, Gaiam hired david dorian ross in 1999 to make three more "Chi" videos (Upper Body Chi, Lower Body Chi, and Energy Chi) after he made "A.M. Chi" for HAPI (CEO Steve Adams) in 1998, which, had Tai Chi as their principal subject matter but which Gaiam effectively disguised as "Qigong" programs by their titling ("Chi For Beginners") and descriptions of the video contents on the packaging, and which Gaiam then sold--in gross violation of the Distribution Agreement--to cannibalize my videos'  dominant market share from 1999 through 2003--a market share that was quantified by Nielson Videoscan for those years as accounting for 35% of all barcoded DVD titles sold with the world "Chi" in their titles. The damages I claimed in the lawsuit as propounded by my damages expert, Consor Intellectual Asset Management, totaled approximately $2.4 million.

Throughout David Dorian Ross's  deposition lasting approximately 5 hours on August 1, 2001, he consistently testified under oath (and in detail) that four (4)  "Chi For Beginners" videos distributed by Gaiam that he appears in ("A.M. Chi,"  "Energy Chi,"  "Upper Body Chi", and "Lower Body Chi") do not have Tai Chi as their subject matter  because he did not have the "internal intent" to do Tai Chi (!!!)--despite the fact that:

(A)  he names the exercises on the videos using classical Tai Chi names that have no meaning in any other art or context and

(B )  despite the fact  that each of Ross's postures in question taken from video frames are visually identical to:

(1) still photos of Tai Chi postures bearing the same Tai Chi names excerpted from ten popular Tai Chi books and to 

(2)  still frames of my postures excerpted from my Tai Chi For Health DVDs. that were placed in front of him in side-by-side, frame-by-frame comparisons by my lawyer.

However, Gaiam Inc.'s very own designated Tai Chi expert, Master Mao Xing Ni (son of Ni Hua Ching)--in a surprising turn during his deposition that flummox'd Gaiam's lawyers-- testified that the subject matter of 3 of the 4 ross videos (Energy Chi, Lower Body Chi, Upper Body Chi) was indeed Tai Chi-- thus flatly contradicting the bulk of ross's 5 hours of testimony under oath, making him out to be a determined and shameless liar.  Attached here are Master Ni's notes on the subject matter of the Ross "Chi" videos:

post-51415-0-92537400-1446213210_thumb.jpg

post-51415-0-88163300-1446213236_thumb.jpg          

Thus fourteen years after david dorian ross's deposition,  as a public service here and with a Youtube channel (link below) aptly named "Honey Badger Does Not Care; fajing your ass",  I am now exposing this full day of blatant lying under oath that is obviously fundamental to his character and therefore also his manifested teaching persona, which I consider to be awful and unctuously disgusting in general.  Based on my observation of his Tai Chi performances on video products over the past sixteen years (many here on Youtube),  I consider Ross's skill level to be mediocre and nothing close to the "mastery" that he claims.  That Ross has given himself the titles of "Tai Chi master" and "Zen master"  as seen here is ludicrous--

post-51415-0-31889700-1444713629_thumb.png

--and are insults to the Tai Chi art,  to Chinese martial arts culture, and to the 2,000 year old Chan Buddhist (Zen) tradition in particular. 

In my opinion, this self-proclaimed "master" of Tai Chi and Zen Buddhism, who is demonstrably capable of lying for almost five hours under oath and in front of a video camera, represents one of the most noxious and insidious viruses plaguing the world of unsuspecting, beginning-level enthusiasts in  Tai Chi, Qigong, and meditative arts in general and of Zen Meditation and Zen practice in particular----especially given his temporal influence through the media, as he has been long promoted by Gaiam, Inc. as their Tai Chi poster boy.  I believe that he is a danger as a retarding obstacle to the physical and spiritual progress of all unsuspecting beginning enthusiasts in Tai Chi and Qigong, and to practitioners of Zen Buddhism.

There is an ancient Chinese maxim that extends beyond the realm of martial arts that says:

"When the wrong man uses the right means, the right means work in the wrong way."

It is my opinion that this self-proclaimed "Tai Chi and Zen master", David Dorian Ross, lends perfect creedence to this maxim.

I therefore ask everyone who seeks and respects truth and is interested in the cultivation of physical, emotional, and spiritual health--i.e., the fruits of correct and ethical practice of authentic Chinese martial, yogic, healing and spiritual traditions, and all things the honorable in the Chinese martial arts to:

(1)  share the link to this discussion/expose´and

(2)  carefully consider the material presented  in this thread and on this new Youtube channel, and then

(3)  BOYCOTT and advocate to others the BOYCOTTING of EVERYTHING and ANYTHING that this person has put his name to.

Yours Truly,

Sifu Terence Dunn

(Kung Fu and Qigong master)

my bona fides:
http://www.taichimania.com/tdbio.html
http://thedaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/

Edited by zen-bear

To all Daobums Subscribers:

Please chime in and contribute to this PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT whenever you have time, and start spreading clips through social media from the "Honey Badger Doesn't Care" Youtube channel in this suggested order:

1)      Hey, why he's the COACH of the Chinese National Martial Arts Team!!  WOW--Oh, my.  

That is very impressive!  Wait, what was that?  Oh it was a "misprint"!  A misprint that nobody

caught?  Oh, okay.       

http://thedaobums.co...enix chi kung

Hmmm, the COACH of the Chinese National Martial Arts Team!!

I think my good friend Master Li Junfeng, the REALl former COACH of the Chinese National Wushu Team (who trained Donnie Yen, btw, when his mother Master Bow Sim Mark [with whom I trained in 1980] sent him to Beijing to broaden his horizons beyond Boston) might have something to say to mr. ross when the Universe causes their paths to cross with me present so as to teach "Mister Misprint" a lesson of extreme paradox where the fake coach of the Chinese National Martial Arts Team gets dressed down even more than he already has been.

Edited by zen-bear

Throughout David Dorian Ross's entire deposition lasting approximately 5 hours on August 1, 2001, he consistently testified under oath (and in detail) that four (4)  "Chi For Beginners" videos distributed by Gaiam that he appears in-- "A.M. Chi,"  "Energy Chi,"  "Upper Body Chi", and "Lower Body Chi" --do NOT have Tai Chi as their subject matter  because he did NOT have the "internal intent" to do Tai Chi despite the facts that he names the exercises on the videos using classical Tai Chi names that have no meaning in any other art or context and that each exercise appears similar and arguably identical to still photos of exercises bearing the same Tai Chi names abstracted from ten popular Tai Chi books (!!!)

However, Ross's contentions that none of his exercises in any of the four Gaiam "Chi" videos are Tai Chi exercises were flatly contradicted--exercise by exercise on three of the four videos--by Gaiam's very own outside Tai Chi expert and consultant, Master Mao Xing Ni, who testified in his deposition that the subject matter of three of the Ross videos was indeed Tai Chi (Energy Chi, Lower Body Chi, Upper Body Chi).  

These attachments are the notes that Master Ni produced at his deposition in 2002 that explained how he determined that 3 of the DVDs had Tai Chi subject matter, thus making Ross out to be liar:

post-51415-0-74522100-1446213659_thumb.jpg

post-51415-0-95387800-1446213678_thumb.jpg           

As seen in this transcription of his handwritten notes, Master Mao Xing Ni determined that the following exercises in the Ross videos were Tai Chi exercises and postures:

I.  "Chi for Upper Body"

"13:50     parting horse's mane - Tai Chi move"

"15::45    white crane spreads its wings  - Tai Chi move"

"17:15     Repulsing the Monkey  - Tai Chi move"

"24:44     Wave Hands Like Clouds  - Tai Chi move"

II.  Energy Chi For Beginners  

"11:40   wave hands like clouds  - Tai Chi move"

"22:20   Rooster Standing on one leg...opening its wings - Tai Chi move"

III.  "A.M. Chi For Beginners"

"OK (no Tai Chi)"

"mix of 8-brocade and crane style and other chi kung forms"

IV.   "Lower Body Chi For Beginners"

"7:01  Tai Chi Walk  7:01  O.K.  though makes reference to "Tai Chi"

"14:15   Open Arm Like a Fan" and

"15:00   Fair lady works like shuttles"  -- "Both are Tai Chi movements"

"15:40   Grasping bird's tail -  Tai Chi moves"

"18:00  Snake Sticks Its Tongue out – questionable - enough similarity"

"20:00   playing the pipa"  - Tai Chi moves"

"22:00  Rooster Stand on one leg"  - Tai Chi moves"

"23:00  crane spreads wings + needle at the sea bottom  - Tai Chi moves"

"24:50  kick with heel + box both ears - Tai Chi moves""

"27:30   wave hands like clouds - Tai Chi moves"

"28:15   Single Whip - Tai Chi moves"

"30:00  snake creeps down - Tai Chi moves"

Again, my lawsuit ag. Gaiam, et. al. was settled in September 2003.

However, this self-proclaimed "master" of Tai Chi and Zen Buddhism, who is demonstrably capable of lying for almost five hours under oath in front of a video camera, is still, in my opinion, one of the most noxious and insidious viruses plaguing the world of unsuspecting, beginning-level enthusiasts in  Tai Chi, Qigong, and meditative arts in general and of Zen Meditation and Zen practice in particular----especially given his temporal influence through the media, as he has been long promoted by Gaiam, Inc. as their Tai Chi poster boy. 

He is a danger as a retarding obstacle to the physical and spiritual progress of all unsuspecting beginners and enthusiasts in Tai Chi and Qigong, and to all practitioners of Zen Buddhism.  Period.

https://www.youtube....r4vI0pRQ/videos

Yours truly,

Sifu Terence Dunn

http://thedaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/?hl=%20flying%20%20phoenix%20%20chi%20%20kung

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear

For the complete reference of the not-so-wise sayings of "Tai Chi master" and "Zen master" David Dorian Ross given under oath for 5+ hours on August 1, 2001, visit this Youtube channel dedicated to him and his corporate sponsors:

Sifu Terence Pang-Yen Dunn

http://thedaobums.com/topic/12639-flying-phoenix-chi-kung/?hl=%20flying%20%20phoenix%20%20chi%20%20kung

Edited by zen-bear

Yesterday was Double Ten, the anniversary of the founding of the Republic of China in 1910 (10-10-10), which is an auspicious day for all Chinese

The great Japanese swordsman and philosopher Musashi Miyamoto, in his Book of Five Rings, listed as one of his Nine Precepts:   "Pay Attention even to trifles".

If we're paying attention to trifles: the R of C was not founded in 1910... :ph34r:

zen bear... I recall you being up in arms about this some time ago.

Though I feel like a hypocrite saying this, would you not be better off forgiving and forgetting, as SA suggests?

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 1

The above 2 replies suggest that Terry Dunn's intentions were not understood. This does not seem to be to be a personal vendetta on behalf of Terry Dunn. Rather it sounds to me that this is coming from a passion for the martial arts from someone dedicated to preserving the purity of the art and therefore he probably feels a need to defend the treasure against thieves.

I call that living by Te, virtue, a code of honor. Someone who cares enough to not let it go.

The other attitude is that of, who cares if some people new to the marital arts get ripped off? Who cares if one tai chi teacher steals another teacher's routine? That's not my problem.

I would like to think that chivalry is not dead.

David Dorian Ross is not the first person to steal material from Terry Dunn.

• Like 2

If we're paying attention to trifles: the R of C was not founded in 1910... :ph34r:

zen bear... I recall you being up in arms about this some time ago.

Though I feel like a hypocrite saying this, would you not be better off forgiving and forgetting, as SA suggests?

Hello Dustybeijing,

Oops!  You're absolutely right.  The end of the Qing dynasty was 1912 and the nominal formation of the Chinese Republic under the KMT was 1928.   But I'm excused because I'm old and it's been a long time since pre-school in Hong Kong, and I never took a course on Chinese history in college after coming to the U.S. when I was 6.

But no, you're mistaken about your second point:  

This is the very first time  that I have posted or discussed on social media anything about david dorian ross and my case against Gaiam, Inc. in 2000-2003.  (case BC 244453 styled as "Terence Dunn and Interarts Productions, Inc. vs. Gaiam, Inc., Gaiam Holdings, Inc. Steve P. and Elizabeth A. Adams Holdings, Healing Arts Publishing, LLC, steven p. adams, andrea lesky, david dorian ross, ted landon and Does 1-100," filed in Los Angeles Superior Court in January 2000.)  The videos I have posted on this blogsite from the new Youtube channel are of a deposition taken on August 1, 2001. 

What you are referring to as something I was "up in arms about some time ago" was my 5-year litigation against Dreamworks Animation, SKG, Inc. (2009 - 2014) over the alleged theft of my "Adventures of Zen-Bear" properties that I had spent 9 years working on with 19 contractors, before they allegedly stole it from a pitch that I made to them, and which they turned into that teeming pile of mediocrity known as Kung Fu Panda.  Like my expose´ of David Dorian Ross, I created a Youtube channel dedicated to the videotaped deposition of Dreamworks' employee Michael Lachance who transparently lied under oath in claiming that he had created the idea for "Kung Fu Panda."  That Youtube channel  is I what I had posted on TDB to discuss.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC83iB8wGWMa8fgqWS8qFD-w

(these two are most telling about who is doing all the lying throughout the Dreamworks case:

)

All these are public records.  I have simply posted them on internet channels and blogsites to let people who come upon them know the truth about these two matters.

I've long gotten over what this self-proclaimed "Tai Chi master" and "Zen-master" did in 2001.  I just woke up last Thursday morning with the certain feeling that now is the appropriate time in the Universe to make his publicly-accessable testimony under oath more public and allow karma to accelerate.

Regards,

Sifu Terence Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Best just to get over it.

Am long over it.  

I just have an energetic style of doing expose´s of deep-seeded, long-hidden, incorrigible corruption--when the timing is right and the inspiration takes hold of me.  For I started this thread as a Public Service Announcement because I believe that this person--with whom I had direct dealings with in 2001 and assembled all the evidence (104 exhibits) that my lawyer used to depose him--is a noxious and slimy joke.

And as I just explained to dustybeijing above, the lawsuit surrounding this david dorian ross's atrocious testimony under oath inn 2001 started in year 2000.  And that case was birdsquirt compared to the most recent and ongoing litigation I have against an American film studio over the theft of intellectual property that I had originated and worked 9 years on before they allegedly stole it and turned it into that teeming pile of mediocrity known as, "Kung Fu Panda".

http://www.kungfupandalawsuit.com/Danica%20to%20test/timeline-hotspots.htm

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC83iB8wGWMa8fgqWS8qFD-w

Yours Truly,

Sifu Terence Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

Yes. My apologies.

A silly mistake; I had every opportunity to research before commenting. Sorry.

Someone who cares enough to not let it go.

I understand this very well, which is why I would tend to warn against it.

• Like 1

I understand your disappointment. Someone who uses people who are merely looking to better themselves dishonor us all. I am glad you brought up the lines out of the "Tibetan Practices" book by Evan-Wentz. There is a section in it ( the one with the 10 things) that speaks to finding a guru.

Apparently there have been pretenders for a very long time. In any case I know nothing of the guy (other than what I have seen advertised), so I cannot speak to his authenticity.

I do take it as an omen however, that Sifu Dunn disapproves.

• Like 1

Hello TF,

Aside from, of course, allowing himself to be publicized on tens of thousands of DVDs by Gaiam, Inc. (Living Arts) as "the coach of the Chinese National Martial Arts Team, " this person is not a total pretender. From what I understand, he actually has put in many years of training in Tai Chi under a some teachers, whose identities I am not aware of. But it is the dishonest labeling and self-promotion of himself of a "Tai Chi master" and a "Zen master"--

post-51415-0-69350000-1445049825_thumb.png

--that I find so stupid and detestable...because it insults the Tai Chi tradition and all of Zen Buddhism, a 2,000 year old spiritual tradition.

I point this out only as an object lesson in karma---for there most definitely is negative karma (repercussions) and spiritual fall-out from claiming such false titles in order to make money.

And speaking of spiritual fall-out and bad karma, I'm also just dumbfounded that anyone who has seen how David Dorian Ross appears in this particular video would actually want to learn Tai Chi--or anything , for that matter--from him!:

Again:       "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Regards,
Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/bio

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html Edited by zen-bear

More spontaneous, forthcoming testimony under oath by the self-proclaimed Tai Chi Master and Zen Master, David Dorian Ross, take by Terry Dunn's attorney William Ford on Aug. 1, 2001:

1.)   Here, Ross explains what Tai Chi means to him:

2.)   Self-proclaimed Tai Chi master and Zen Master David Dorian Ross states that he is performing "Fair lady Works at Shuttles", a Tai Chi posture, in video frames excerpted from "Lower Body Chi For Beginnersi" DVD produced by Gaiam, Inc. put before him by Dunn's attorney, Bill Ford.

Ford then has him look at a page excerpted from Terry Dunn's "Tai Chi For Health" video showing Dunn performing a Tai Chi posture that is labeled on the video footage as "Fair Lady Works the Shuttle", and asks Ross if that image depicts Dunn performing "Fair Lady Works the Shuttle".

Ross takes 25 seconds to confirm that the exhibit shows Dunn doing a posture that is labeled "Fair Lady Works the Shuttles."

Dunn's attorney, Bill Ford, then asks Ross if the image shows that Dunn's body is in a position consistent with what Ross knows to be "Fair Lady Works At Shuttle"(

).

Ross takes 49 seconds to finally answer "Yes" (at 

).

Edited by zen-bear

In compassion brother, Love yourself enough to reflect that Love upon all living beings starting with this man you say disgraces your culture, yet so freely surrender your own priceless innerpeace through trading Now to instead focus upon and re-live his choice of actions.

Perfect and imperfect are found in our personal choice of subjective bias alone. When one judges their perception of another being, one is inherently only judging ones own choice of bias in perceptions. Universally and inherently, the singular being to judge is oneself.

Forgive all things arisen and yet to arise, and in doing so liberate the bondage of suffering all expecation of outcome of what may have been or may yet to be. So many practices with paths to self liberation already experienced, all that is left is application of the knowledge and experience towards wisdom of liberation and unbreakable peace of equanimity that is deserved by all beings equally.

Zen-Bear you remain free to choose to Love yourself and this man and be thankful to all beings for the life experiences they have provided, including the type we place our bias of injustice or whatever other subset manifestation of fear we want to label in our personal delusion we trade the unfathomably beautiful Now to maintain as a proxy.

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

Edited by Bud Jetsun
  • Like 1

In compassion brother, Love yourself enough to reflect that Love upon all living beings starting with this man you say disgraces your culture, yet so freely surrender your own priceless innerpeace through trading Now to instead focus upon and re-live his choice of actions.

Perfect and imperfect are found in our personal choice of subjective bias alone. When one judges their perception of another being, one is inherently only judging ones own choice of bias in perceptions. Universally and inherently, the singular being to judge is oneself.

Forgive all things arisen and yet to arise, and in doing so liberate the bondage of suffering all expecation of outcome of what may have been or may yet to be. So many practices with paths to self liberation already experienced, all that is left is application of the knowledge and experience towards wisdom of liberation and unbreakable peace of equanimity that is deserved by all beings equally.

Zen-Bear you remain free to choose to Love yourself and this man and be thankful to all beings for the life experiences they have provided, including the type we place our bias of injustice or whatever other subset manifestation of fear we want to label in our personal delusion we trade the unfathomably beautiful Now to maintain as a proxy.

Unlimited Love,

-Bud

Thank you, Bud.  I appreciate the compassionate intent of your words of reflection very much.

Please just call me "Astro"!

Everyone is human in their reactions to physical harm done to them. This person whom I've made subject of this thread--besides being a noxious self-inflated "Tai Chi and Zen master" and retarding influence technically and spiritually on any beginner of Tai Chi or Zen practice (in my subjective bias who I personally detest)--very cleverly and diabolically lied under oath for almost 5 hours in 2001 to enable the owners of two corporations, one small and one huge, to steal from me millions of dollars in royalties from the sale of my Tai Chi For Health videos from 1999 through 2003 ($2.4 million as documented by a professional accountant and a damages expert).  On a spiritual level, the theft of money in any amount is equivalent to a physical assault...because it deprives one of physical necessities and comforts.  Most people do not realize this unless they have experienced poverty and want for basic necessities, which I have (briefly). How one reacts to or deals with a physical assault is a function of their nature and level of spiritual consciousness.  Very, very few people on this planet can INSTANTLY turn the other cheek or forgive and love their enemies as Christ taught.  Most people require a period of time.  I am one of those people and I've required 14 years to forgive:

I have lived with the memory of this physical assault since 1999 and the derailment of justice in this matter in the Calif. court system since 2003 (primarily due to the failings of my own lawyers).  While I lost much inner peace when this corporate thievery and derailment of justice in court of took place from 1999 through 2003, since then I got on with great learning, productivity, passionate creativity, and growth in many dimensions.  I NOW consciously choose to forgive this tool of my assailants, the corporate heads who bought his soul, by making more public on this forum the public record of his lies.  

As for inner peace, I have my resilient and generous nature due to my family heritage, my life-long adherence to the tenets of Christianity (that i was raised with), the Taoist and Chan Buddhist spiritual teachings that I was later initiated in that I teach others and activate for myself through the arts of my culture, my ongoing Work of teaching and healing since 1983, and 42 years of practice in the high martial, healing and meditative arts that I have been blessed to learn and master to sustain it and to share with others.  

One basic spiritual truth that I learned from dealing with the great obstacles of karmic enemies,  is that inner peace can be preserved so long as one does not hate.  That means that one can hold one's enemies in the highest contempt and if one knows how to pray to and commune with God, one can witness Universal Justice brought down upon evil.  My spiritual path has been filled with wondrous and glorious demonstrations of Divine Justice--completely outside of man's religious and legal institutions.

Another basic spiritual truth I learned the hard way in dealing with the great obstacles of karmic enemies is that once one has done all that is humanly possible to bring man's justice to any crime scene, one can invoke Universal Justice by giving the matter up to the Love of the Universe.  Then and only then can it be invoked--unless the loss of innocent life is imminent.

My mounting this expose´ of david dorian ross on this forum, again, is done as a public service, and is indeed my ACT OF COMPASSION to spare innocent others from walking down perverse paths, for it follows the martial Zen maxim that I live by:

"Do that which causes the least pain."

This is how I choose to complete my healing and to forgive myself for naively getting into bed--in 1991, actually--with vipers to further my business of teaching.

Most Sincerely,

Terry Dunn

P.S.   Finally, I never stated that I believed this deponent had "disgraced my culture."  He only disgraced himself by lying under oath in front of a camera for some 5 hours, and continues to do so with how he purveys his alleged "mastery." There are those who are so incorrigible in living a life of outward lies founded in their personal delusions that they can learn the truths of the spirit only through extreme paradox.  

Edited by zen-bear

Taichi is a beautiful art.

It went thru alot to survive with Mao Zedong and everything the chen and yang families had to do what they could so they could survive.

I looked at David Dorian Ross taichi form and what I noticed was a lack of richness and yi in the moves. When I watch videos of Cheng Man Ching doing taichi I can feel and to some extent see his chi when he moves from posture to posture.

By richness I mean radiant chi field and I dont see nor feel that with mister ross.

He does his taichi too much like a contemporary wushu form...

• Like 1

Taichi is a beautiful art.

It went thru alot to survive with Mao Zedong and everything the chen and yang families had to do what they could so they could survive.

I looked at David Dorian Ross taichi form and what I noticed was a lack of richness and yi in the moves. When I watch videos of Cheng Man Ching doing taichi I can feel and to some extent see his chi when he moves from posture to posture.

By richness I mean radiant chi field and I dont see nor feel that with mister ross.

Thank you for your observations, JinlianPai.

Exactly:  that's what beginners and 25-year posers do:  they portray an internal art as an external one for appearances' sake and because they haven't learned the  internal art but think that they "have it".

I too am well aware of what Maoist communism did to the Chinese people and culture on a personal level.  Despite my Irish-sounding anglicized name, I am full-blooded Chinese.  My father's side of the family dates back 26 documented generations to a physician in the court of the first emperor.  My 19th generation ancestor was a Kung Fu master.  We have an ancestral village in Pingshan, New Territories of Hong Kong that had its key structures rebuilt by the British in the early 90's even though they were giving it all back to China in 1997.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_Shan_Heritage_Trail

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/see-do/culture-heritage/historical-sites/chinese/ping-shan-heritage-trail.jsp

My mother's side of the family for generations owned and operated the famous organic vinegar and soy sauce factories, Zhenjiang Ciancu, until the communist took it all in 1950.  (It is still owned by China's princelings).  During Mao's cultural revolution, my maternal grandmother was sent to the countryside do hard-labor at age 64 to reform her bourgeois ways.  I still have many cousins living in the city of Zhenjiang.  In the 80's the central Chinese govt. started giving them little preferential treatment in selecting what type of public housing they wished to live in.  To this day, tens of millions of soy sauce and vinegar bottles with our family's pre-revolution logo are distributed every year throughout China and worldwide. Of course, not a penny of reparations has ever been paid to my family members.

btw, I have been practicing Prof. Cheng Man-Ching's manner of Yang Tai Chi Chuan since 1980.  My first teacher for 12 years was (ret.) General Abraham Liu.  During that same time, i attended twelve consecutive week-long summer workshops with the terrific Master Benjamin Lo of San Francisco in La Honda, CA.  For the last four years, I have been training closely with my dear friend and great teacher, GM William C.C. Chen.

Besides teaching Tai Chi Chuan, I preserve two other ancient monastic martial arts traditions:  Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) created during the Tang Dynasty and attributed to Lu Deng and taught by Taoist priest Share K. Lew who passed away 2 years ago; and Ehrmeishan White Tiger Kung Fu (Bok Fu Pai), preserved by my teacher, GM Doo Wai, the sixth generation lineage holder of this secret family art.  The Bok Fu Pai system is vast and I preserve but a fraction of it:  three internal arts, each one vast:  Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Qigong (Fei Feng San Gung), Ten Thousand Buddhas Ascend to Heaven (an extremely rare health-martial Qigong system consisting of 54 moving meditations), and the most rare, Eight Sections of Energy Combined (Bot Dim Gum), a complete and truly esoteric internal martial art that my teacher acquired outside of his family lineage that he is certain has roots in Wudangshan.  BDG kung fu cultivates a martial energy that can be transmitted through organic matter such as wood and cloth (--a legendary feature that one Chinese film has ever alluded to, to my knowledge).  My classmate, Sifu Garry Hearfield in Australia, who studied with GM Doo Wai years after I completed my training, preserves the bulk of the Bok Fu Pai martial tradition:  Ehrmei Mountain Bak Mei Kung Fu, Red-Haired Taoist Bok Fu Pai, Tibetan Burning Palm, Sunn Yi Gung, Golden Mantis Nei Kung, and much more.

Best Regards in spreading the truth.

Terence Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 6

This particular animation franchise so far consists of three very expensive two-hour commercials designed to sell ancillary products.  (Six films were announced.)   That is why dreamworks struck a deal with amazon to let amazon give kf panda 3 away free with any customer purchase.  The goal is to sell more toys, t-shirts, coffee mugs, mousepads, and other paraphernalia.  The money, as George Lucas proved after he kept the merchandising rights revenues in his initial production/distribution agreement with 20th C. Fox and then sold Star Wars to Disney for $4 billion,  is made in merchandising rights revenues--not theater ticket sales or dvd sales.  And that is why the Hollywood studios NEVER disclose how much they make on the merchandising rights.

So if you want to side with justice, follow this simple advice:

Boycott that dreamworks shit--along with everything done by david dorian ross!!!

Sifu Terry Dunn

http://www.kungfupandalawsuit.com/Danica%20to%20test/timeline-hotspots.htm

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Dustybeijing,

Oops!  You're absolutely right.  The end of the Qing dynasty was 1912 and the nominal formation of the Chinese Republic under the KMT was 1928.   But I'm excused because I'm old and it's been a long time since pre-school in Hong Kong, and I never took a course on Chinese history in college after coming to the U.S. when I was 6.

I came to the US when I was zero and never took a Chinese history class in college :P  But I learned Chinese as an adult and it is one of my hobbies.

I can tell you that the Republic of China was formed on January 1, 1912. It had come into being a couple months before that after more than a decade of active work by various persons.

Double Ten, like July 4th and July 14th, commemorates the start of the revolution (well, "start" is a fuzzy word in all these cases, but I digress . . . ). One can read about the basics in either Chinese or English.

In other realms,

"to steal from me millions of dollars in royalties from the sale of my Tai Chi For Health videos from 1999 through 2003 ($2.4 million as documented by a professional accountant and a damages expert).  On a spiritual level, the theft of money in any amount is equivalent to a physical assault...because it deprives one of physical necessities and comforts."

1) Total bs. I would rather be deprived of my 'physical necessities and comforts' than have someone beat the snot out of me.

2) 2.4 million divided by four years is $600,000 a year. And you also made however much through regular sales. My eyes are dry, Terry. I haven't made that much in my life and I am in my forties. No one can "earn" that much money. You can get it, but you can't earn it. Now if you told me that 100% of that money (since, again, you also made other money through your regular sales) was ear-marked for starving children or something, I could shed a tear for you, but "I'm a hard working tai chi guy who practiced for more than a million years" just doesn't cut it. I am just not going to cry for you with the kind of money you are making.

3) The tone of your thread comes off as very junior high schoolish. It could have been done differently.

Edited by lessdaomorebum

On 9/5/2016 at 10:14 AM, lessdaomorebum said:

I came to the US when I was zero and never took a Chinese history class in college :P  But I learned Chinese as an adult and it is one of my hobbies.

I can tell you that the Republic of China was formed on January 1, 1912. It had come into being a couple months before that after more than a decade of active work by various persons.

Double Ten, like July 4th and July 14th, commemorates the start of the revolution (well, "start" is a fuzzy word in all these cases, but I digress . . . ). One can read about the basics in either Chinese or English.

In other realms,

"to steal from me millions of dollars in royalties from the sale of my Tai Chi For Health videos from 1999 through 2003 ($2.4 million as documented by a professional accountant and a damages expert).  On a spiritual level, the theft of money in any amount is equivalent to a physical assault...because it deprives one of physical necessities and comforts."

1) Total bs. I would rather be deprived of my 'physical necessities and comforts' than have someone beat the snot out of me.

2) 2.4 million divided by four years is $600,000 a year. And you also made however much through regular sales. My eyes are dry, Terry. I haven't made that much in my life and I am in my forties. No one can "earn" that much money. You can get it, but you can't earn it. Now if you told me that 100% of that money (since, again, you also made other money through your regular sales) was ear-marked for starving children or something, I could shed a tear for you, but "I'm a hard working tai chi guy who practiced for more than a million years" just doesn't cut it. I am just not going to cry for you with the kind of money you are making.

3) The tone of your thread comes off as very junior high schoolish. It could have been done differently.

LDMB,

To tell you how much I follow this thread that I started as a Public Service Warning Announcement, I just revisited after 2.5 years and saw your post.

Thanks for your correction on the founding date of the Republic of China. I am also impressed that you learned Chinese as an adult.

I'm glad your eyes are dry. I didn't start this thread to elicit anybody's tears.  As for your comments below in italics, they deserve my response:

That's your stunted worldview, shallow logic, and free will to react as you choose.  But someone can be deprived of physical necessities and comforts to a level where one's physical health is damaged to the point of disease, degenerative disease, injury through accident, and even death...  And many people robbed of their rightful assets have spiraled down to such an end.

No one can "earn" that much money. You can get it, but you can't earn it. Now if you told me that 100% of that money (since, again, you also made other money through your regular sales) was ear-marked for starving children or something, I could shed a tear for you, 

No one can "earn" that much money

Wow.  That incredible, reality-denying belief and the very cynical and dismissive-of-   if not hateful-of-all-earners attitude behind it should serve you very, very well in life.  So how do very wealthy people making millions or tens of millions or billions of dollars a year make their money if they don't "earn" it?  All they are thieves?  or black magicians?

I obviously disagree with your belief that "no one can 'earn' that much money."   And i'll use part of my business history as an example.  In 1989, I produced on a shoestring budget (less than $25,000 total of savings), two 2-hour programs called Tai Chi For Health Short Form and TCFH Long Form.  I pulled off the production by getting lots of favors from friends who were professionals in TV production.  TCFH Short Form and Long Form  were 2 of the earliest instructional videos teaching Yang Tai Chi and they did so well throughout the 90's such that I was able to quit my corporate job as a management consultant in 1992 and devote my time to producing more instructional videos, and enlarge into producing television and theatrical films.  From 1996 to 2003, according to Nielsen Videoscan (an independent market share analysis service) my two DVD titles accounted for 35% of every bar-coded DVD program that had the word "Chi" in its title.  On that list of 1,180 execise and fitness DVDs, Tai Chi for Health Short Form as ranked No.100 and the TCFH Long Form title was ranked 120.   Hence during that heyday period, I had several years in which my net royalty income from the DVD sales exceeded $1 million.  That was money that I EARNED--not just for myself but for my distribution companies (Healing Arts Publishing and then Gaiam), and for every retail establishment, mail order catalog, Reader's Digest, COSTCO, WALMART, airline catalogs, Signals Catalog, and every DVD wholesaler in the industry.  None of that gross revenue from millions of Tai Chi For Health being sold would have generated had I not taken the risk and created those programs on my own dime on my own time and having written, directed, produced, and appeared in them as the principal talent.  Today, despite the near complete disapperance of brick-and-mortal retail outlets, my Tai Chi For Health titles are still the highest rated and best-selling  Tai Chi DVDs on amazon.com and other platforms.

Now if you told me that 100% of that money (since, again, you also made other money through your regular sales) was ear-marked for starving children or something, I could shed a tear for you,

Not that I ever asked you to shed a tear, but the fact is that during very good years, I have given up to 30% of my net income to carefully selected charities and good causes.  One is the Bread and Roses Cafe in Venice, CA which is a restaurant that feeds the homeless while being staffed with homeless people who are learning restaurant industry skills.  The others are all educational in function.  One is the Teton Science School in Jackson, WY, where every year a scholarship fund I helped found in 1994 takes 48 inner city kids from 2 high schools in L.A. and they get to study science for a month there. Most have never been out of Los Angeles and the positive transformation of their self-image and their life goals and possibilities is nothing short of amazing and miraculous.

but "I'm a hard working tai chi guy who practiced for more than a million years" just doesn't cut it.

To date, I have been practicing Chinese internal martial arts for 42 years.  You have mischaracterized me with words that I have never spoken, written nor conveyed--and alleged AN ATTITUDE I HAVE NEVER COPPED TO ANYONE...just to enable yourself to state that you have no sympathy for my situation.   That everything I have written on this thread "doesn't cut it with you" is fine with me.   But don't fabricate words and put them in my mouth.

I am just not going to cry for you with the kind of money you are making.

I NEVER ASKED YOU--NOR ANYONE ELSE-- TO CRY FOR ME AND I NEVER WILL.

I STARTED THIS THREAD AS A PUBLIC SERVICE, and yes, also as a channel by which I can vent a little bit BY TELLING THE TRUTH.  if you have a problem with its "tone", which you seem to have, you are free to abreact and continue expressing your snide poverty-consciousness and disdain for those people in the world making "that kind of money."

In contrast to you, I don't begrudge the wealthy and I do  lend sympathy and support to all my friends and allies who have been wronged and cheated in any amount--whether by predatory individuals or corrupt corporations, especially those in the very treacherous entertainment industry that I happen to work in.  e.g., Marsha Posner Williams, a successful TV producer  and friend who produced in the 90's thee most successful yoga videos in the western world, "Total Yoga" with Ganga White and Tracy Rich (her 2 titles were rated #5 and #6 between 1999 and 2003 out of 1,180 fitness DVD's--just behind the four "Tae Bao" DVDs), told me that she was informed in the most IN YOUR FACE manner by Gaiam, inc., the same distributor that I sued in the year 2000 and by 2003 had gotten my rights to my Tai Chi For Health DVDs back, that they had cheated her out of royalties for one million units of DVD sales that they failed to report to her when they were made.  I advised her on her options and shared my experience with her and the remedy I used.  The point I make here is THEFT IS THEFT, no matter how much is taken.

Thank you for your opinion about my tone.  

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Completely off topic but I love that Total Yoga DVD series. I do it most mornings. Sorry to hear they got ripped off too.

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 2

On 1/27/2018 at 7:20 AM, Vajra Fist said:

Completely off topic but I love that Total Yoga DVD series. I do it most mornings. Sorry to hear they got ripped off too.

Vajra Fist, 
sorry to take 2+ years to reply.  But I've been busy frying some very big fish all this time:  

I'm glad you love Total Yoga.  As mentioned above, I'm good friends and allies with the producer of that series, Marsha Posner Williams and respect the work of Ganga White and Tracy Rich.  Top quality yoga on DVD.  Yeah, it's a shame that according to Marsha, Gaiam ripped her off by more than 1 million units worth of royalties.

Sifu Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1