Trunk

"There's an app for that" (apps related to TDB's kinda topics)

I recently downloaded Peter Deadman's "A Manual of Acupuncture" onto my iPad. Finding it very useful. (Edit: there are also much less expensive acupuncture-point apps, but I am pretty grooved in on Deadman's text. Also, the app has *videos* of the acupoints built-in.)

Thought I'd start this thread for people to share app-finds that are relevant to TDB's kinda stuff. Not sure if there are many...?

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 1

Insight timer: (Google Play) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.spotlightsix.zentimerlite2&hl=en (iTunes) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/insight-timer-meditation-timer/id337472899?mt=8 

You can set up timers with intervals for whatever practices you want to do, there's also guided meditations and other features which I haven't used.

• Like 3

I use Medigong for a simple timer and Insight Timer for when I need a more complicated set of alarms

• Like 2

For those of you that meditate on stars and planets (or just really dig the sky at night): "Sky Guide" is an incredibly cool astronomy app. Point your iPhone or pad at the sky and *that* section of the sky, with celestial bodies star/planets/etc, is shown on your phone/pad. Tap on any celestial body shown and up pops details of what it is. Really, really cool.

• Like 1

Thought I'd start this thread for people to share app-finds that are relevant to TDB's kinda stuff. Not sure if there are many...?

LoneMan Pai™ Android App- FREE

http://lonemanpai.com/thread/932/loneman-pai-android-app-free

LoneMan Pai™ Android App - Put The Forum On Your Phone, Tablet, etc

FREE Download and easy install link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2hg0rB5FLnhY1B2Y0Vxbm4xdms/view

• Like 1

Maybe this is too obvious by now, but...

Way back when, when I didn't have an iPad...

I invited a friend (a fellow bagua enthusiast) over to practice qigong in the backyard and he brought his iPad, propped it up and showed a video of some bagua instruction.  I was immediately struck by what a *very* handy tool it was to take *any*where ... especially out-doors, but also *any*where that I practice.  Where I have room to move and/or where I just want to sit and study ... I can bring my qigong instruction videos with me.  I was hooked rather immediately when I saw that usefulness.  (My computer is in my office which very little room to do movement, and I don't use a tv much - and it's not mobile ... both cumbersome alternatives.)  Anyway, so there's that: the iPad as super convenient tool for viewing of qigong videos.

The other part was finding a video conversion tool to convert videos to iPad format (I had to look up the format specs on the web, but they are probably built into most software by now).  I use "Leawo Video Converter Ultimate", which I am very happy with.  Maybe there are plenty of other good tools out there by now, I dunno.

bagua-saturday-007-enh-s50.jpg

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 2

I just got an iPhone and am on Insight Timer as apech.  Seems a nice idea :)

• Like 1

I just got an iPhone and am on Insight Timer as apech.  Seems a nice idea :)

Ive always wanted a mobile phone. How does it feel to own one, Apech? 

Bouguoise pigs.

:D

:ninja:

• Like 5

Ive always wanted a mobile phone. How does it feel to own one, Apech? 

It feels like a big waste of money just to have a meditation timer.  But hey this is 2017!

• Like 2

It feels like a big waste of money just to have a meditation timer.  But hey this is 2017!

2017... Year of the Bouguoise. God I love that word. 

2017... Year of the Bouguoise. God I love that word. 

I'm sans-culottes personally myself.

• Like 1

I'm sans-culottes personally myself.

O yeah? I bet thats just another excuse to get yourself a second phone. 

O yeah? I bet thats just another excuse to get yourself a second phone. 

I already have two :)

While we are on the subject of ... whatever it was - here are some new word definitions:

15894827_764007537090199_194397039863801

• Like 6

Apech, perhaps you could give me some insight into something that’s puzzled me for many years….

Why do so many left-wingers go for Apple products? Apple is one of the largest, if not the largest, corporate tax evader in the world. They also maintain a ruthless monopoly with their business model.

"Apple worldwide in the past four years have avoided paying tax on $US44 billion," (see link below for reference.)

As left-winger’s are against both corporate tax evasion and business monopolies, this love affair with Apple products seems more than a little hypocritical. To me it’s like a green conservationist decrying the destruction of old-growth rainforest and at the same time buying furniture made of rainforest timbers on the grounds that these timbers make good furniture.

I don’t know about in your country, but in Australia the left-leaning intelligentsia laud Apple products, even though Apple employs relatively few people here and largely avoids paying Australian tax. At the same time, they condemn major local companies as being too big and selfish, even though these local companies employ many thousands of Australians and pay their full share of Australian taxation.

Apple pays $193m tax in Australia on $27b revenue as Federal Government vows to capture lost taxes.

I'll take the Apple question.

I'm not the Apple fan boy I used to be (using a small whisper quiet Mac Mini, but have an android phone).  But there was a time they came up with (or at least ran with) fresh innovative ideas.  Revolutionized the home computer and hand held music devices.  They started out in a garage, lots of legendary dramas; huge ups and downs.  How many CEO's have 3 movies a dozen books about them.  They also sponsored amazing free concerts back in the day.  They positioned themselves as the opposite of stodgy old IBM.

Still, the rebels became the empire, thus the pendulum swings.

• Like 1

I'll take the Apple question.

I'm not the Apple fan boy I used to be (using a small whisper quiet Mac Mini, but have an android phone).  But there was a time they came up with (or at least ran with) fresh innovative ideas.  Revolutionized the home computer and hand held music devices.  They started out in a garage, lots of legendary dramas; huge ups and downs.  How many CEO's have 3 movies a dozen books about them.  They also sponsored amazing free concerts back in the day.  They positioned themselves as the opposite of stodgy old IBM.

Still, the rebels became the empire, thus the pendulum swings.

Yes.  As well as what you write, a few decades ago when Apple was new they promoted their computers by giving them free to leading literary writers and intellectuals to use as word processors. That strategy has played out for  Apple a bit like Europeans 'buying' native land by giving them beads and trinkets. 

Edited by Yueya

Apech, perhaps you could give me some insight into something that’s puzzled me for many years….

Why do so many left-wingers go for Apple products? Apple is one of the largest, if not the largest, corporate tax evader in the world. They also maintain a ruthless monopoly with their business model.

"Apple worldwide in the past four years have avoided paying tax on $US44 billion," (see link below for reference.)

As left-winger’s are against both corporate tax evasion and business monopolies, this love affair with Apple products seems more than a little hypocritical. To me it’s like a green conservationist decrying the destruction of old-growth rainforest and at the same time buying furniture made of rainforest timbers on the grounds that these timbers make good furniture.

I don’t know about in your country, but in Australia the left-leaning intelligentsia laud Apple products, even though Apple employs relatively few people here and largely avoids paying Australian tax. At the same time, they condemn major local companies as being too big and selfish, even though these local companies employ many thousands of Australians and pay their full share of Australian taxation.

Apple pays $193m tax in Australia on $27b revenue as Federal Government vows to capture lost taxes.

No idea.  As for myself a few years ago I dumped Windows PCs in favour of a MacBook and never looked back - I prefer the functionality and the operating system - also the design is better - although they are massively over priced.  I looked at samsung and other smart phones but I preferred the iPhone.  It was a pure consumer choice into which politics never entered.  As far as I am concerned all the big tech companies are as bad as each other.

• Like 3

Yes.  As well as what you write, a few decades ago when Apple was new they promoted their computers by giving them free to leading literary writers and intellectuals to use as word processors. That strategy has played out for  Apple a bit like Europeans 'buying' native land by giving them beads and trinkets. 

To be fair, giving away free $1,000+ computers doesn't seem as negative as 'buying' native land with trinkets.   It's not like what they wrote using them belonged to Apple. 

A mild villain might be Microsoft (isn't that how they start out).  There long 'accept' or screw you button needed to activate every Windows 10 gives them incredible rights and opens the door for many possible abuses.  Don't know if Apple is any better but I remember reading a relatively scary article on Microsoft's latest and worst Cyber agreement.   Again to be fair, they claim the nasty clauses are just 'in case' and not being used.. but they could..

Even now, Apple is reaping huge rewards by cornering the education market by giving schools sweet heart deals on computers and ipads.  The Ipads end up screwing the user because some/most text are now mandatory on the computer and there is no way to get them used or at a fraction of the price like physical text books can be had. 

• Like 1

My point wasn’t so much about determining the rights and wrongs of the various players, rather it was to highlight that we are all biased in our judgements, especially when it comes to our own self-interest. I agree with the saying, “To be human is to be hypocritical”. It’s all too easy to find faults with the world outside ourselves rather than within ourselves.  For instance, if I owned shares in Apple Corp I would probably smile every time someone mentioned owning an Apple product.  

That said, I do not think all these large corporations are the same. I think that’s a cop-out. They all have their different personalities and strategies for survival. And I take this into consideration when buying products. But certainly, it’s only one many factors, and shaped by own biases for sure. It’s up to everyone to decide what works best for them. 

BTW I own a share portfolio that I’ve built up over the past decade, and corporate behaviour plays the major part in how I determine what shares I hold. I use the income it gives me to manage where I live as a small (75 acre) private wildlife sanctuary. 
  • Like 1

Left-wingers don`t like tax evasion or business monopolies but they do like apples. That may sound stupid but many people don`t get past the name.  You don`t think nefarious corporate entity when you think apples, you think nature.  

• Like 2

My point wasn’t so much about determining the rights and wrongs of the various players, rather it was to highlight that we are all biased in our judgements, especially when it comes to our own self-interest. I agree with the saying, “To be human is to be hypocritical”. It’s all too easy to find faults with the world outside ourselves rather than within ourselves. For instance, if I owned shares in Apple Corp I would probably smile every time someone mentioned owning an Apple product.

That said, I do not think all these large corporations are the same. I think that’s a cop-out. They all have their different personalities and strategies for survival. And I take this into consideration when buying products. But certainly, it’s only one many factors, and shaped by own biases for sure. It’s up to everyone to decide what works best for them.

BTW I own a share portfolio that I’ve built up over the past decade, and corporate behaviour plays the major part in how I determine what shares I hold. I use the income it gives me to manage where I live as a small (75 acre) private wildlife sanctuary.

It is my observation that people generally act from self-interest and then rationalize that decision into their individual comfort zone, again out of self-interest (now to protect our own paradigms). I don't mean this as a slight or disparagement, mind you, because I recognize that I operate in this fashion, too -- instead, I suggest it as a framework from which to view human behavior that substantially flattens that topology and renders much that otherwise seems irrational as self-evident.
  • Like 1