AussieTrees

We Love Chilli?

The secret to my chili (I calls it Southwestern Triple Chocolate Hole Mole Chili) is lots of chocolate (powdered, solid, even chocolate syrup), cumin (we're going mole), two different kinds of beans, hominy and peppers, all strengths and sizes.  I like adding maple syrup too.

I like it best over slightly sweet polenta.

addon>

Here is my secret recipe SW Mole Chili.

Literally everything is optional.  There can be 'kitchen sink' component to chili using anything you have at hand.

Protein: TVP, Veggie ground beef, Veggie Sausage, Ground Chicken, etc-flavor it up early.  A pound or so.
Beans: Dark Red kidneys work well. I like my chili beany, so I'll use 1 Dark Red, 1-Black, one more, Posole (Southwest popped corn) if I have it around.  Garbanzo beans also work and are different.
Peppers: I like sweet red peppers or the cheaper green ones.  Cut'em up large, bite sized.  If I have'em I'll put in any other pepper from banana to jalapeno (Habanero is a little to hot).  The hotter the pepper, the smaller I cut'em up. Hot sauce
Reds: 1-2 cans of chopped tomatoes (brands w/ onion and/or jalapenos ok), left over spaghetti sauce, ketchup, salsa, etc.
Onions: A couple, white or yellow, save some of raw ones for topping.
Spices: Chili powder, a few table spoons. Cumin-mole spice 1, Cocoa powder, 3 or 4 tablespoons, more mole power.  Sweetener to balance the tomato and spices- maple syrup or sugar, a table spoon or two.

For cooking I use a frying pan and a large stock pot.  I'll start sauteing some onions in the pan and some peppers (cut into large pieces) in the stock pot.  After a few minutes I'll add some garlic (a spoonful or 2) to the onions, a minute or so later I'll add in the protein (veggie sausage, ground chicken etc). 

As the protein cooks in the onions I'll throw on it a few tablespoons of chili powder and some cumin.  Before its cooked through I'll throw it into the stock pot w/ the peppers.  I'll add the reds and beans, plus cocoa powder (even some chocolate chips) and sweetener (maple syrup, or even white sugar).  Put in some salt (I'll put in some salt and some soy sauce), for extra complexity and heat I'll throw in Louisiana hot sauce a dash or two, maybe some red chili pepper flakes etc. 

Its good as soon as its cooked.  Letting it sit simmering makes it even better. 

I don't like my chili too liquid so I'll throw in some corn meal or uncooked polenta at the end to thicken it up.  Polenta makes a great side dish to chili, add some cheese to it just after it done cooking for a real treat.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

I haven't fixed up chili for quite some time.  I normally do that stuff from scratch with dried beans.  Takes time but the results are worth it.

• Like 1

The best chili I had was this shop that two women ran. It might have been called 2 Girls Chili or something along those lines...a small business venture that closed down within a year unfortunately.

Their chili was very fine ground beef...I think what they must have done is simmered the ground beef in water for like 12 hours at least, in order to have the proteins break apart. Then it was a type of pretty spicy and oily dark red sauce...and they simply put a big spoonful of sour cream on top. There were two kinds: plain beef, and another kind that included kidney beans.

I've never seen it done quite like they did it, and I have looked for it!

• Like 1

My little tip for even better chilli: don't wash/drain the kidney beans. Use the gooey liquid from the cans as the liquid base for your creation.

• Like 2

The hot and cold of chillies.

The lass down the road has a perennial chilli plant,it is cold tolerant,she has been reaping her harvest for at least 10 years.

She would sell her excess with a simple unmanned stall,dollar a bag.

One day a couple of years ago,we stopped and bought five bags.

Now ready to make a favourite dish,chilli beans as above.

Caution is advised when handling chilli,wash hands regularly whilst cooking.

This dish was so hot,easily the hottest dish ever created by humans.

Having enjoyed a wonderful meal,several hours later,there occurred a casual eye rub.

Well within seconds,extreme pain,as if capsicum sprayed by special operations forces.

Now both eyes shut,blinded,unable to open eyelids,pain setting in,distress.

Walked to bathroom,without aid,hands thrust forward,feeling the way.

Stripped naked,jumped into the shower,at least ten minutes elapsed before any peeping,when heat began to cool.

The story has some humor value now,not then.

Be carful when used mixed with child care.

• Like 3