Lois

Bill Gates Wants Depopulation Through Vaccines and Health Care

Topic Header is a little misleading, IMHO.

Perhaps the entire TED talk should have been included, not just an extract.

I can see what he's getting at, but I'm sure I've read somewhere that Methane Emissions from cows is responsible for a large chunk of the depletion in the Ozone Layer & hence the increase in Global Warming.

So if we ALL turned Vegetarian & stopped breeding Cattle the situation would improve a lot.

If we ALL stopped driving Vehicles that used Fossil fuels & emitted CO2, likewise things would improve.

The Trouble is that whilst the Planet seems extraordinarily good at trying to balance things out & compensate for all the harm caused by Human Beings, we're simply overwhelming it with more & larger problems.

Protect the Wild Forests & Woodlands & make Logging Illegal, unless the trees are newly planted & are replaced.

Any Company that is found deliberately Polluting land, waterways, etic should be banned from trading & made to clear up & repair all of the damage. The Directors of that Company should be imprisoned & banned from becoming directors of any other companies..

Everyone should take more personal responsibility to aid the Planet in its Healing Process.

I'll admit that I drive to work, as it's 25 Miles from Home, perhaps I'd cycle if it was only a few miles away.

Public Transport isn't good / reliable enough, and I'd need to make several change-overs, if taking the Bus or Train.

Plus my journey time would be more like 3 hours each way, rather than 1.

But my car's getting on a bit now & when it becomes time to replace it, it's Green Credentials will be high up on the list of things I look for. (So NO VW's/Audi's/Skoda's/Seat's, due to Emission Test Cheating)  :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Like 1

Seems to me that the video a smear campaign.  A little bit of research into the myriad things that his foundation is trying to do should easily disprove.  I understand that not everyone will agree with every aim of the foundation, but taken as a whole, looking at all there actions and philosophy; reading about and talking to people who work there and have gotten grants and I think you'll see in general its a force for good.

• Like 1

Believe that Bill Gates organised the Foundation, kind of a "Billionaires Club", where each of the members donate a large chunk of their Fortunes, to benefit various worthy / worthwhile causes. Rather than just leave it to their off-spring. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

"The world today has 6.8 billion people. That's heading up to about nine billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent!"

I can't see why anyone would have any problem with this. It's not the only stuff to be focusing on, but it makes absolute sense (to anyone who makes any effort to understand the reasoning behind it).

Of course, according to some, vaccines are an international government/medical conspiracy to give everyone mercury poisoning and autism, but...y'know... :blink:

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 1

What lowers population or at least seems to keep it level is education (particularly womans), raised living standards, access to birth control and knowing babies will survive infancy.  Progress helps.   First world, stable countries seem to run at zero or lower growth rate.

Still, you see China with 50 lane roads and day long traffic jams.  India with streets full of people and continued hunger in many parts of Africa and you wonder if we can't spread out a bit more.   

• Like 1

What lowers population or at least seems to keep it level is education (particularly womans), raised living standards, access to birth control and knowing babies will survive infancy.  Progress helps.   First world, stable countries seem to run at zero or lower growth rate.

The 'thank you' was for this..education is definitely the most important thing..

Still, you see China with 50 lane roads and day long traffic jams.  India with streets full of people and continued hunger in many parts of Africa and you wonder if we can't spread out a bit more.   

But I'm not so sure about this. Perhaps it would help to reduce population growth (reducing the population of any given city leading to less cramped and healthier living conditions, less competition, etc = less perceived need for having loads of babies), but... wouldn't a geographic spread lead to even greater destruction of as-yet relatively untouched wilderness? And then even greater ecological issues?

• Like 1

But I'm not so sure about this. Perhaps it would help to reduce population growth (reducing the population of any given city leading to less cramped and healthier living conditions, less competition, etc = less perceived need for having loads of babies), but... wouldn't a geographic spread lead to even greater destruction of as-yet relatively untouched wilderness? And then even greater ecological issues?

Very true.  From the research I've done, to spread out home stead style would be disastrous for the Earth, but possibly good for the individual.   The word on my lips these days is sweet spot.  And maybe China realizes it too.  They've been building towns and cities, some of them I hear are relatively empty.  Depending on the area, its resources and with respect to nature, different sized towns and cities could be built.  Allowing nature to move around outside them.

Just as nature needs sanctuaries to live unmolested, humans also need space, too crowded and we suffer, choke on our own waste. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Yes, judging by the dozens of square miles of construction work I've seen in the northeast...

(I recall driving past many miles of unfinished and unoccupied buildings in Shandong province, and I lived in an apartment complex in Hebei with a capacity of at least 50,000 but at the time housing no more than a few thousand inhabitants..)

post-111592-0-30986500-1444505029_thumb.jpg post-111592-0-38204900-1444505146_thumb.jpg post-111592-0-22858000-1444505188_thumb.jpg

... there's lots of empty living space around China..

I can see that looking for ways to spread populations out probably has its positive aspects.

Edited by dustybeijing

I cant think of a problem that would not be less of a problem with a decrease and cant think of a problem it would cause ... well. except economic collapse.

The hardest thing we will have to adapt out of is 'expansionism' ... everything is geared towards increase ; economic growth 'needs' the  fuel  of resource use expansion .... continual growth , no matter how much we are growing and expanding, the formulas are all based on continual growth, not any level of stability.   We have been like that since  we have been . 

On the micro, it happened  here (at home) one of our communal originals wanted us to develop the maximum amount of house sites available and put the maximum allowable amount of people in them.  I protested; my reasoning was, there is a limit , if we hit the limit it wont be as nice a place .... more buildings and infrastructure and less nature, wild places, orchids paddocks for future food production, etc . If we have to stop at some limit, why not make it a comfortable one ?  If people want to live in suburbia they can go and do it there. 

My view won - no excessive development . 

Thing is ... the 'human race' as a whole is  a lot stupider than a bunch of hippies .... that's pretty worrying     :o

• Like 1

.... and no, I am not a hypocrite ... I have done my bit ... no kids .

The Nungali line ends here    .

• Like 1