manitou

Sweet awareness

Aah.  I feel good today.

I was sitting out on my front porch - fall is in the air, the huge tree next door is bright red.  I am reading The Last Meditations of Anthony Demello's 'The Way to Love'.  He speaks of awareness in every thought he expresses.

Lo and behold - I was sitting there in total silence, thinking about something he said - when suddenly I heard things dropping.  I couldn't figure out what it was at first - but it was the acorns dropping off the oak tree in our yard!  They were hitting the ground in soft little thuds every time a little breeze came up.  What a wonderful awareness, to hear acorns dropping.  It reminded me of when I was a young girl and we would go up to our mountain cabin - and it would be so quiet sometimes that you could actually hear sap dropping from the trees!

I could learn from both Demello and my dog, Mr. Kanooch.

He was staring up at the ceiling last night.  I looked up to see what had him so captivated, and it was.....a fly.  Just a fly.  He watched it for a while.

Oh, to be as aware and in the Present as these dogs are....

Have you had a Sweet Awareness today?

Edited by manitou
  • Like 4

Its been a wonderful Indian summer filled with green warm windy days.  I think the animals are unusually happy, celebrating a period of easy bounty.  Trees and bushes- fruit, nut and berry are fruiting.   Life is easier.  Winter is on its way but today.. today seems golden. 

• Like 1

Yes it does indeed, Lerner.  I'm repairing fence out in the yard today so Mrs. Kanooch doesn't escape. (That would be Mr. Kanooch's sister).  But while I was at it, I watched with wonder a wooly-worm make it's willy nilly way across the dirt.  Some days it just all comes together, doesn't it?

suddenly I heard things dropping.  I couldn't figure out what it was at first - but it was the acorns dropping off the oak tree in our yard!  They were hitting the ground in soft little thuds every time a little breeze came up.  What a wonderful awareness, to hear acorns dropping.

I was standing outside and I heard a thump from up above. I looked up and saw a bird falling onto the sidewalk.

I pulled out my handheld and took a video of the bird as it died.

I thought to myself "how peaceful it looks, going into the beyond. No more worries, no more searching for food or shelter. No more frantic flights from predators.

I reflected on the Theravada Buddhist whom said that consciousness is conscious for up to three hours after the body is clinically dead, until such time as the body is cold.

I wondered about phowa, the practice of transferring consciousness to a fresh corpse. Hmmm... What use was a broken neck?

I didn't feel sad for the bird I felt envious. He would know the beyond before me. The big sleep. Seemingly peaceful, still, final resolution...

RIP

post-7745-0-94102800-1444363641_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I didn't feel sad for the bird I felt envious. He would know the beyond before me. The big sleep. Seemingly peaceful, still, final resolution...

RIP

image.jpeg

More possibly he will get another body.

I was standing outside and I heard a thump from up above. I looked up and saw a bird falling onto the sidewalk.

I pulled out my handheld and took a video of the bird as it died.

I thought to myself "how peaceful it looks, going into the beyond. No more worries, no more searching for food or shelter. No more frantic flights from predators.

I reflected on the Theravada Buddhist whom said that consciousness is conscious for up to three hours after the body is clinically dead, until such time as the body is cold.

I wondered about phowa, the practice of transferring consciousness to a fresh corpse. Hmmm... What use was a broken neck?

RIP

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I had a similar thing happen over here.  My cat is quite the hunter, and the other day she brought home a bird.  The bird wasn't quite dead yet, and the kitty had put it on the ground in front of her.  The cat just lay there and looked at it.

What struck me (and I called my husband over to see it!) was how accepting the bird was of its impending death.  There was no flopping around to get away, no fear in its eyes.  It just looked at the cat in gentle acceptance of what was coming next.   Truly a holy moment, the acceptance.

• Like 1

Yeah I watched Pocahontas today. You guys remind me of Pocahontas.

I haven't seen it.  How do we remind you of Pocahontas?  Was she in awareness of what was around her?