flowing hands

Spirit Essence

Here is verse 93 form Li Erh Xian Shi for you all to discuss. I thought this section needs some interest so here goes!

The spirit is the essence of all things

Seek and find this spirit

The shaman knows this spirit and so it is revered

In revering the spirit one knows the beginning of all things; the ancients called this 'Spirit Way'. 

It was the ancient understanding.

The ancients knew and revered the 'Spirit Way' and so Dao became a reality

Dao is the way things are, the spirit is the essence.

Make life simple and follow the Dao, you then may become closer to the spirit essence.

• Like 5

living in a place like a moderate forest in complete freedom from the world and its man-made problems, along with everything one might need in various natural resources to be healthy and happy would be nice but such might only apply to 1/10,000 of 1% of what is left and tucked away in remote areas on this earth.  Grizzly bear habitat is protected but not human habit, for such is mostly owned and ruled by money and power grubbing government's, corporations, and some rich folks, the rest of us make due after the powers that be are done with us. (directly or indirectly) Don't believe me just look around.

Edited by 3bob

Nice seeing you posting again Flowing Hands.

Your post brought to my mind a correlation between your "Spirit" and Dawei's "Great One".  Both preceding Tao.

In my attempt to be spiritual I have determined that "spirit" is actually Universal Chi. 

Sure, I can accept the concept of the "Spirit Way".  I generally call it the Way of Tao.

And I do like the train of thought of your post.  I must agree with it.

• Like 2

Don't believe me just look around.

Oh, I believe you but I'm not going to lay any money on it.  That's because we can follow the Way of Tao no matter in what time period we live or the environmental or geographical area we live.  I still call it "Living Spontaneously".

that's true MH, and about the only hope for mankind....  since we have destroyed so much of our environment; btw, it's much harder to bring or help something come back like a truly balanced and natural eco-system, than it is to destroy it.

The day is coming when the Earth will be free of the evil forces at work here...

• Like 1

The day is coming when the Earth will be free of the evil forces at work here...

Well, I hope that day doesn't arrive until after I have left from natural causes.

Here is verse 93 form Li Erh Xian Shi for you all to discuss. I thought this section needs some interest so here goes!

This made me realize that I tended to view 'De' as the essence of Dao (and thus all things).

How would you differentiate Spirit and De ? 

• Like 2

Your answer lies in the verses!

So you mean:

The spirit is the essence [De] of all things

The shaman knows this spirit and so it is revered

In revering the spirit one knows the beginning of all things; the ancients called this 'Spirit Way'. 

It was the ancient understanding.

The ancients knew and revered the 'Spirit Way' and so Dao became a reality

Dao is the way things are, the spirit is the essence [De].

Make life simple and follow the Dao, you then may become closer to the spirit essence [De].

• Like 2

No 'De' is not spirit essence, although translated as 'power', virtue etc., 'De' embodies many attributes which are only partly what it really means.

Dao De Jhing : The sacred book or book of essential spiritual understanding of the Way of how it manifests, how it is, how things are and understood through the path of cultivation.' Now true cultivation comes from deep within the heart and along with the mind guiding it. So 'De' in this instance means far more than 'virtue', a very misleading understanding of the word.

• Like 3

So 'De' in this instance means far more than 'virtue', a very misleading understanding of the word.

Yes, I agree and I think we could do another thread on 'De' which is misunderstood.

Getting back to the original post.    I know we've talked this in other posts but I'd like to deal with it here.

From a cosmological point of view, is the arising of spirit first and results in all things or the arising of all things produces such a [singular] spirit ?   Or is the singular arising = singular spirit ?

• Like 1

Ah ... but then to answer you I would have to unlock the treasures of the universe and the beginnings of all things :)

LOL ya think?

39f86bd18e9f8284d141ce8c0200621d.jpg

Decades ago, wanting more words,

Laozi whispered in my ear:

What could I show you

that you have not already seen?

What could I tell you

that you have not already heard?

What could you learn

that you do not already understand?

There is no need to be kind, just be yourself.

Kindness comes naturally.

There is no need to be just.

As a whole human, you are already just.

Being who you are in your heart,

brings everything.

You already know these things.

They are naturally known, because they are natural.

What more could I say that would be of any use?

LiErh talks, I listen; complete in the silence and the song. (-:

Have fun!

Ah ... but then to answer you I would have to unlock the treasures of the universe and the beginnings of all things :)

Belly laughs.  Okay, I won't ask.

LiErh talks, I listen; complete in the silence and the song. (-:

Have fun!

Just don't be telling this to Donald Trump.  His head is already fat enough.

Of course remember we are made of the universe, the universe is within us, if you understand and have come to know this fully one can acquire the keys (skills) in which to unlock that door. Isn't this what Lei Erh has been talking about in many of his teachings?

• Like 2

Of course remember we are made of the universe, the universe is within us, if you understand and have come to know this fully one can acquire the keys (skills) in which to unlock that door. Isn't this what Lei Erh has been talking about in many of his teachings?

I'm totally with you here,  As the lines read (paraphrase):  You don't have to leave your home to know the world; just look out your window.

Of course, you went deeper and said all we have to do is look within.  (For many people ego gets in the way of doing this.)